BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

I would be more than surprised if we got £30 million for Armstrong. In fact I think it's pie in the sky talk and putting that price on him because West ham bid 30 million for someone else. Watkins went to Villa for around that amount and he is a far more rounded and complete player than Armstrong. If ofered that, we absolutely have to accept it. Especially in today's market. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 47er said:

If we got £30M that= £21M to the Club. If Venkys gave the manager £15Mof it to buy a defence we'd go up---provide TM wasn't the manager spending it that is.

I find his defensive signings baffling. So in the summer he wants to instill a new way of playing, so obviously you sign players to suit the style. So we sign Ayala, he is not quick, cannot cover the flanks and yet was our star signing. He will always struggle to play well within the team because his attributes do not suit. 

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

To be fair my best tally for AA is 43m after a season in the Premier league. He is a decent advanced forward in FM 😂👍

I got £38m from Newcastle for Brereton in fm20. They immediately got relegated on about 16 points.

So yeah, pretty realistic game all told.

For me we should be looking for a minimum of £22 million for Armstrong in today's market.

Young, fast, English, goals, good injury record - very, very valuable.

The problem we have is the ticking time bomb of his contract meaning realistically we only have until the summer to sell or get him tied down. Beyond the summer it becomes a rapidly diminishing valuation for someone in the last year of his contract.

Personally I think players such as him and Dack are essential if we have promotion aspirations and should be central to our plans. I wouldn't want to lose him and certainly wouldn't have any confidence in Venkys allowing proceeds back into the club or squad or indeed Mowbray doing much of use with the money.

Of course there also has to be an acceptance that we aren't going anywhere fast under this setup and young quality players like Armstrong aren't going to waste away their careers flailing around in the middle of the division at clubs that can't even keep their pitch up to scratch.

On that basis if a Premier League club offered big money his departure would be justified, especially now as we head to another finish of 10th-15th despite his incredible scoring run.

What wouldn't be justified is a low price sale to a Championship rival like we've had with most recent departures from here - Raya, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson etc.

IF we were to get a good chunk of money the priority is to fire the existing coaching staff and spend big on a top management team with a big bonus to get us up in the next 2 years along with half of the money to strengthen the squad come the summer.

On the contrary Venkys are likely to see Mowbray as a genius if they land a windfall from Armstrong and give him another contract and a few scraps to spend on a replacement.

Any news on the CB that Mowbray reckoned was coming? Course not its just more BS to keep the fans quiet.

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

For me we should be looking for a minimum of £22 million for Armstrong in today's market.

Young, fast, English, goals, good injury record - very, very valuable.

The problem we have is the ticking time bomb of his contract meaning realistically we only have until the summer to sell or get him tied down. Beyond the summer it becomes a rapidly diminishing valuation for someone in the last year of his contract.

Personally I think players such as him and Dack are essential if we have promotion aspirations and should be central to our plans. I wouldn't want to lose him and certainly wouldn't have any confidence in Venkys allowing proceeds back into the club or squad or indeed Mowbray doing much of use with the money.

Of course there also has to be an acceptance that we aren't going anywhere fast under this setup and young quality players like Armstrong aren't going to waste away their careers flailing around in the middle of the division at clubs that can't even keep their pitch up to scratch.

On that basis if a Premier League club offered big money his departure would be justified, especially now as we head to another finish of 10th-15th despite his incredible scoring run.

What wouldn't be justified is a low price sale to a Championship rival like we've had with most recent departures from here - Raya, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson etc.

IF we were to get a good chunk of money the priority is to fire the existing coaching staff and spend big on a top management team with a big bonus to get us up in the next 2 years along with half of the money to strengthen the squad come the summer.

On the contrary Venkys are likely to see Mowbray as a genius if they land a windfall from Armstrong and give him another contract and a few scraps to spend on a replacement.

Any news on the CB that Mowbray reckoned was coming? Course not its just more BS to keep the fans quiet.

Agree ..keep AA ..infact keep the majority of the squad ..id like to see how far we d go with this squad under a new management team plus a couple of Defensive additions ..Top six SHOULD be achievable.!

Ive also got concerns on Kaminski attracting attention come the summer too..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I can't see anyone spending £30m on AA.

Neither can I.

Like it or not, I can't see anyone going above £15million for Armstrong.

IMO, he is not an intelligent footballer and would struggle in the PL.

Pace is his biggest attribute and he is scoring goals in what is, IMO, a bang average Championship.  The gulf between Championship and PL is huge.

I think Watkins is already twice the player Armstrong will ever be and Watkins will only get better.

6 hours ago, Ulrich said:

I wouldn't be turning down 30m, I'd also be rather shocked if they did. His final decision and finishing is not quite at the level of a regular 15-20 goal a season Premier league player for me. Dolan , Brereton, dack and Elliott in a 4231 would be my choice SG can back up young Ben. 

I'd be banking/investing at least half back into the club, but even what's left would not be entrusted to TM. He's awful with money... 

Why is the benchmark of a mid table Championship club striving for a top 6 finish now that of "a regular 15-20 goal a season Premier League player?! Just for a bit of perspective, last season, 4 players got 20 or more goals in the Premier League, Vardy, Aubameyang, Sterling and Ings. 8 more got between 15 and 20, Mo Salah, Kane, Mane, Jimenez, Rashford, Martial, Aguero and Abraham. No Championship strikers will be of that level.

Brereton has never shown competence as a central striker, he doesnt have the instincts and would struggle to get double figures. He has only shown signs of competence wide left or occasionally wide right.

People dont seem to fully appreciate having a striker who scores so often and how they arent easily replaced.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Although you said in the other thread this season is over. So you surely got to take that money then? While it's being offered 

There is absolutely no evidence of a 30m bid. Seems unfathomable at this stage.

If we are saying hypothetically, it would depend on if he shows any willingness to sign a new deal. If he is willing to, I would reject the bid and the potential 20m windfall that it would give us, give or take after giving a large chunk to Newcastle.

If he didnt, then with a year left on his deal in the summer, it might force our arm, but it would be reluctant and a huge backwards step.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is the benchmark of a mid table Championship club striving for a top 6 finish now that of "a regular 15-20 goal a season Premier League player?! Just for a bit of perspective, last season, 4 players got 20 or more goals in the Premier League, Vardy, Aubameyang, Sterling and Ings. 8 more got between 15 and 20, Mo Salah, Kane, Mane, Jimenez, Rashford, Martial, Aguero and Abraham. No Championship strikers will be of that level.

Brereton has never shown competence as a central striker, he doesnt have the instincts and would struggle to get double figures. He has only shown signs of competence wide left or occasionally wide right.

People dont seem to fully appreciate having a striker who scores so often and how they arent easily replaced.

If we are saying hypothetically, it would depend on if he shows any willingness to sign a new deal. If he is willing to, I would reject the bid and the potential 20m windfall that it would give us, give or take after giving a large chunk to Newcastle.

If he didnt, then with a year left on his deal in the summer, it might force our arm, but it would be reluctant and a huge backwards step.

A backwards step in what way? A promotion challenging side could be built with £20 million. Armstrong may keep his goal scoring record up from last year, but he also may not. His all round play isn't anywhere near someone like Watkins, who went for similar to the figures being discussed. I agree that it's unlikely anyone is genuinely close to bidding that much for him. There are surely better options for clubs at those figures. Although perhaps the current situation with the pandemic and also Brexit might make a domestic transfer like this more attractive to PL clubs, although I can't see £30 million and we ain't going to sell cheap. 

Is Mowbray the man to spend £20 million? No, not in my eyes. His Gallagher and Brereton transfers being the evidence. 

Now what could Mick McCarthy, Pearson or Martin O'Neill do with £20 million ? It's a mouth watering proposition. 

One player never made a team and that's certainly true for Armstrong. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I kinda thought I said he wasn't a 15-20 goal man? 

1 hour ago, AspRover said:

I got £38m from Newcastle for Brereton in fm20. They immediately got relegated on about 16 points.

So yeah, pretty realistic game all told.

That's great money for Brereton. It amazes me how the players you sell flop after they leave. 

Personally I think it is quite realistic, I have my rovers save and we have won the treble for about 5 seasons running. Euro Cup, league and either the fa Cup, cola Cup or both, just like the good old days haha. 

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A backwards step in what way? A promotion challenging side could be built with £20 million. Armstrong may keep his goal scoring record up from last season, but he also may not. His all round play isn't anywhere near someone like Watkins, who went for similar to the figures being discussed. I agree that I don't belive anyone is close to bidding that much for him. There are surely better options for clubs at those figures. Although perhaps the current situation with the pandemic and also Brexit might make a domestic transfer like this more attractive to PL clubs, although I can't see 30 million and we ain't going to sell cheap. 

Is Mowbray the man to spend £20 million? No, not in my eyes. His Gallagher and Brereton transfers being the evidence. 

Now what could Mick McCarthy, Pearson or Martin O'Neill do with £20 million ? It's a mouth watering proposition. 

One player never made a team and that's certainly true for Armstrong. 

Martin O'Neill is certainly not someone we want near the managerial seat. 

One player didnt make a team but he is a prolific Championship goalscorer in the last year in a mid table team so take him out and its a huge blow.

Even if you took out Newcastles chunk, some would invariably go to help balancing the books too. But to adequately replace Armstrong alone and his goal output would be so difficult, it would be a hope of bringing in a few but that is a difficult ask.

18 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I kinda thought I said he wasn't a 15-20 goal man? 

That's great money for Brereton. It amazes me how the players you sell flop after they leave. 

Personally I think it is quite realistic, I have my rovers save and we have won the treble for about 5 seasons running. Euro Cup, league and either the fa Cup, cola Cup or both, just like the good old days haha. 

Just seemed pointless to mention such an unobtainable standard that he wasnt up to. He isnt a potential Balon D'or winner either but hes still a bloody good striker at this level and if we sold him, moved Brereton and his lack of goals there and put Dolan where Brereton goes, we would be massively weaker, make no mistake.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One player didnt make a team but he is a prolific Championship goalscorer in the last year in a mid table team so take him out and its a huge blow.

Even if you took out Newcastles chunk, some would invariably go to help balancing the books too. But to adequately replace Armstrong alone and his goal output would be so difficult, it would be a hope of bringing in a few but that is a difficult ask.

Just seemed pointless to mention such an unobtainable standard that he wasnt up to. He isnt a potential Balon D'or winner either but hes still a bloody good striker at this level and if we sold him, moved Brereton and his lack of goals there and put Dolan where Brereton goes, we would be massively weaker, make no mistake.

What's your issue with Martin O'Neill? Not convinced myself, but I think he would be a pretty popular choice with fans going off his record. 

Do you think we would be any different from a mid table this season without him? I don't. I reckon a canny manager could replace him for 7-8 million , bringing in someone who may not score the same amount, but would bring more to the team. Change left over then to strengthen the areas we are weak in. 

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Have you not just done exactly the same by mentioning the world player of the year award? 

I would sell him for 20m 👍 just so you know, imo he hit a rich vein and we should take advantage, we won't go up either way. 

• Like 1

I'd also let Gallagher go if we got something half close to resembling what we paid for him, as much for his sake as ours. I would genuinely love to know what he makes of his current utilisation at Rovers; he's only a couple of years of his theoretical peak as a forward so he hardly has the time to waste.

On 18/01/2021 at 20:56, Darrenbot said:

I'm amazed at how long Morecambe have lasted as a league club since they got promoted back in 2007.With small crowds and nothing to spend on players they have done unbelievably well to still be up in the league while much bigger teams have dropped through the trap door.

At present they have the longest continual run in the same league of any of the 72 EFL teams I believe. They've done a remarkable job of establishing themselves.