BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Deeney's all round game is text book, his hold up play is brilliant. Comparitively his question mark is goals which is the most important thing for a striker. Pukki is a very intelligent player whose football brain is above Armstrongs but obviously he lacks the pace. He has had injuries this season otherwise he might be troubling the top scorers and is for me the best striker in the league probably. The fact that Armstrong is in the conversation shows how lucky we are to have him though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

In the 2020/21 season Adam Armstrong is averaging 4.7 shots per game, with a 47% accuracy rate, scoring 0.82 goals per game.

In the 2019/20 season Adam Armstrong averaged 2.38 shots per game, with a 48% accuracy rate, scoring 0.39 goals per game.

So yes, Armstrong is definitely taking on a lot more shots, but luckily for him he's finding more goals because of it.

Still only scoring 17% of the time the shots are on target though.

I'll be honest and say the stats surprise me, but within that the goals vs Wycombe etc are included.

I still think he shoots far too often, especially when a pass is available, but at least the stats do show that he is taking far more shots this year than last and I am not just imagining this overnight change in his game. I wonder whether it is down to instruction or a desire to be the top scorer at all costs.

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

In the 2020/21 season Adam Armstrong is averaging 4.7 shots per game, with a 47% accuracy rate, scoring 0.82 goals per game.

In the 2019/20 season Adam Armstrong averaged 2.38 shots per game, with a 48% accuracy rate, scoring 0.39 goals per game.

So yes, Armstrong is definitely taking on a lot more shots, but luckily for him he's finding more goals because of it.

Does that include shots where he hits a defender? 

Does it include penalties? 

The thing with stats is the Coventry and Wycombe games skew it and make it look much better for him. He probably had 6-7 shots in those games and scored 5

Probably been posted elsewhere but Del is out for ‘months not weeks’.

That lad is forever injured. We’ll surely need a CB in January regardless of how tight things are with he and Wharton being long term absentees.

There’s not a chance in hell either that Lenihan and Ayala stay fit between now and the end of the season. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That lad is forever injured. We’ll surely need a CB in January regardless of how tight things are with he and Wharton being long term absentees.

There’s not a chance in hell either that Lenihan and Ayala stay fit between now and the end of the season. 

Well according to Mowbray it's one in one out, maybe he'll play Carter or Magloire.

23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He's pathetic. That probably sounds harsh, but players who are constantly injured do my head in. I played with some over the years. It's most annoying when they are good. I remember I played with 1 brilliant lad, but like a couple of minutes into every game he would be down, game stopped for 10-15 min. Rumour has it he got injured playing poker one night. 

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Does that include shots where he hits a defender? 

Does it include penalties? 

The thing with stats is the Coventry and Wycombe games skew it and make it look much better for him. He probably had 6-7 shots in those games and scored 5

Good questions. 

Wycombe game isolated. Armstrong had 5 shots, all 5 of which on target (100% accuracy). 3 of which went in, the other two saved.

Derby game isolated. Armstrong had 6 shots, 3 of which on target (50% accuracy). 1 of which went in, the other two saved.

Coventry game isolated. Armstrong had 6 shots, 3 of which on target (50% accuracy). 2 of which went in, the other 1 saved.

So yes, the Wycombe game is the one skewing it big time, Derby and Coventry games his shot accuracy sat around average.

12 minutes ago, SoldierMo said:

Idiotic from Mowbray to rush him back and then shockingly start him when he had Ayala available...against Norwich referring to his stupid rotation

The most alarming thing is he said it was mainly tactical.

Rotating center defenders at midtable championship level according to opposition. Absolute nonsense of the highest order then he cries about consistency.

Back to the conspiracy theories. I see Mowbray now expects Derrick Williams to be out 'long term' with his mysterious injury.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it.

In the case of Williams I think something has gone on behind the scenes since the start of this year. Whether that be contractual or something else I am not sure, but it is clear that something has changed. I don't recall him being injury prone in his first 2.5 years at the club and yet since this time last year he has barely featured due to a succession of training ground caused 'injuries'.

I recall in the summer it was rumoured that we were looking to sell him and reports suggested the MLS or Swansea. Mowbray actually admitted it was something we were looking at, but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

I think if Mowbray had his way Williams wouldn't have played at all this season but circumstances have forced his hand with Wharton and the late addition of Ayala. 

I just find it difficult to believe that after the MLS/Swansea move that it just so happens that a reasonably fit 27 year old suddenly comes down with multiple long term injuries which are now looking like keeping him out of action until the spring.

Its frustrating because he's actually done ok at CB and would be very useful in the current climate with our squad the way it is

Out of contract in the summer isnt he?

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Back to the conspiracy theories. I see Mowbray now expects Derrick Williams to be out 'long term' with his mysterious injury.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it.

In the case of Williams I think something has gone on behind the scenes since the start of this year. Whether that be contractual or something else I am not sure, but it is clear that something has changed. I don't recall him being injury prone in his first 2.5 years at the club and yet since this time last year he has barely featured due to a succession of training ground caused 'injuries'.

I recall in the summer it was rumoured that we were looking to sell him and reports suggested the MLS or Swansea. Mowbray actually admitted it was something we were looking at, but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

I think if Mowbray had his way Williams wouldn't have played at all this season but circumstances have forced his hand with Wharton and the late addition of Ayala. 

I just find it difficult to believe that after the MLS/Swansea move that it just so happens that a reasonably fit 27 year old suddenly comes down with multiple long term injuries which are now looking like keeping him out of action until the spring.

Its frustrating because he's actually done ok at CB and would be very useful in the current climate with our squad the way it is

Out of contract in the summer isnt he?

I also remember him being injury prone. 

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I also remember him being injury prone. 

I kind of see what he’s saying about Mowbray not fancying Williams but at the same time I do recall that Williams has had fair few injuries since he’s been at the club, he didn’t look anywhere near fully fit in the Bristol and Norwich games as well. He’s been our best centre back this season so it’s a shame if he’s out long term, I  can’t remember him making an error that’s directly led to a goal, he got caught out by Pukki on Saturday and let him run through on goal but he didn’t score on that occasion, that’s the only error that comes to mind where as Lenihan has made 5 or 6 errors at least that have led to the opposition scoring already this season. Not convinced by Ayala yet either, hopefully him and Lenihan can improve for playing more games together because if they don’t we won’t be getting anywhere near the top six. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoldierMo said:

Idiotic from Mowbray to rush him back and then shockingly start him when he had Ayala available...against Norwich referring to his stupid rotation

It was always going to happen. 

What about a cheeky Phil Jones loan, we could pay 10k surely? Pennies and pounds hehe. 

4 hours ago, Butty said:

He’s been our best centre back this season 

He has played 10 times and we have only won 3 of them. Wycombe, Coventry and Derby...all bottom of the league.

I can probably look back over the last 2/3 seasons and find over 20 mistakes that led directly to goals....I was there, I saw them....we all saw them. Even the other day he sliced one and it led to a goal

Short memory Mr Butty

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has played 10 times and we have only won 3 of them. Wycombe, Coventry and Derby...all bottom of the league.

I can probably look back over the last 2/3 seasons and find over 20 mistakes that led directly to goals....I was there, I saw them....we all saw them. Even the other day he sliced one and it led to a goal

Short memory Mr Butty

For arguments sake I’ll say the majority of those mistakes will have been when he was at left back, I’ve never denied that he was absolutely useless at left back but I’ll stand by my view that he’s a solid centre half option, I’m not saying he’s our best centre half but I don’t think he’s been to bad when he’s played this season, Lenihan hasn’t covered himself in glory at all and Ayala I’m not fully convinced by just yet, what I will give you credit for Sparks is being adamant that Wharton should have been getting more game time, me personally I wasn’t sure he was ready but he was growing with every game before his injury which is a huge shame. Lenihan and Ayala really need to raise there game now, fingers crossed they can form some sort of partnership cos it looks like they’re all we’ve got for the foreseeable! 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

If we are still in contact with the top teams as January 1 comes round, we have to be bold and recruit cover at left back and central defence.

At the very least Magliore has to come back from Hartlepool. Carter has zero pace.

Hopefully Luke Brennan gets moved to a more serious level of football than Fylde.

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Short memory Mr Butty

I wouldn’t say it’s a short memory, it’s just that if you don’t rate a player, that’s it. There’s no chance of them winning you back round, no matter what they do....

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a short memory, it’s just that if you don’t rate a player, that’s it. There’s no chance of them winning you back round, no matter what they do....

Same can be applied to managers.

As for Derrick - he’s surely not good enough if we want to be promoted. He’s a decent player, he’s left sided but he’s always got a mistake in him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philipl said:

If we are still in contact with the top teams as January 1 comes round, we have to be bold and recruit cover at left back and central defence.

At the very least Magliore has to come back from Hartlepool. Carter has zero pace.

Hopefully Luke Brennan gets moved to a more serious level of football than Fylde.

Problem is that Magloire isn't in the starting line up with Hartlepool which does not bode well for appearing in the Championship.

• Like 1