BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Makes you wonder why Cardiff, struggling at the moment and in the bottom half, are allowing Cunningham out to a rival mid-table side, especially having just changed manager. You'd think McCarthy would want a look at him unless he's already made his mind up after a few days on the training ground.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Makes you wonder why Cardiff, struggling at the moment and in the bottom half, are allowing Cunningham out to a rival mid-table side, especially having just changed manager. You'd think McCarthy would want a look at him unless he's already made his mind up after a few days on the training ground.

McCarthy said that they are overloaded with left backs, with Joe Bennett a regular and Joe Bagan as back up. You tend to find that at this level, if you have a squad player their main interest will come from fellow Championship clubs so even though it might seem like strengthening a rival, it might be a case of letting go one of 3 in a position to allow McCarthy to strengthen elsewhere himself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cunningham would be a good signing and I wanted him back in the summer but its just the injury proneness that is the worry,

Douglas may have been close to useless at the start but he has definitely looked better recently so fair play for that. He is certainly an upgrade on Bell.

Think the barometer for success for Douglas is so low due to how awful he is. I personally don't think he's been good even in his better performances. Think Bell is a better player which is weird to say.

If Bell stopped cutting back and passing and actually ran at his man he'd be good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Think the barometer for success for Douglas is so low due to how awful he is. I personally don't think he's been good even in his better performances. Think Bell is a better player which is weird to say.

If Bell stopped cutting back and passing and actually ran at his man he'd be good.

How do you know that ? He has never done it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cunningham would be a good signing and I wanted him back in the summer but its just the injury proneness that is the worry,

Douglas may have been close to useless at the start but he has definitely looked better recently so fair play for that. He is certainly an upgrade on Bell.

Cunningham would be a gamble we can't afford to take.  You need a back line that is durable, not a collection of injury prone players. We've got enough players coming back from serious injuries.. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Well yeah, but surely the time when he did play, at this level, and regularly impressed is more relevant than any conclusions that can be gathered from not playing in the Premier League.

If anything, surely the likes of Semi Ajayi who actually are playing in teams that are conceding 4 and 5 goals at a time would warrant more criticism and even then, at Championship level he is a very competent centre back.

West Brom have a surplus of centre backs, they have Ajayi as mentioned, a very good Championship centre back, Dara O'Shea who is a younger player who seems to have gone straight into the team this season, they sold Hegazi which angered Bilic mid season but he again is a good Championship centre back, Branislav Ivanovic who is obviously a very experienced defender at Premier League player, Kyle Bartley, yet another experienced Championship centre back and of course Kipre whose regular inclusion was a big part of Wigan keeping so many clean sheets in the second half of last season. Ultimately I am not convinced that any are Premier League quality (in Ivanovics case at his age) but quite a few are top end Championship centre backs.

You are a huge Kipre fan. You must have watched more of him that me. Hopefully if we do sign him, he's as good as you believe! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Surely bell gets judged on his defending more than his attacking, which neither are particularly good. A league 1 standard player if ever I saw one 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Against Birmingham at right back and at the weekend v Boro I thought he put in very competent Championship full back performances, indeed on Sunday he was I thought better than Nyambe who was well below his usual standards. Overall I have been disappointed in Douglas but hopefully he is picking up.

There is no way that Bell is better, that is the biggest of ifs considering he never does that. I dont think hes ever got an assist in a Rovers shirt which disregards any argument about him being competent going forward and we all know how passive he is defensively.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Against Birmingham at right back and at the weekend v Boro I thought he put in very competent Championship full back performances, indeed on Sunday he was I thought better than Nyambe who was well below his usual standards. Overall I have been disappointed in Douglas but hopefully he is picking up.

There is no way that Bell is better, that is the biggest of ifs considering he never does that. I dont think hes ever got an assist in a Rovers shirt which disregards any argument about him being competent going forward and we all know how passive he is defensively.

Have to disagree, Nyambe started off badly I do agree. But he allowed very little down his side second half and his strength made the goal.

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

BBC website says this morning from football insider that us and Preston are after Anthony Gordon from Everton on loan

No interest from us according to Rich Sharpe - thankfully, as we're not exactly short on midfielders:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19045449.rovers-transfer-latest-everton-winger-anthony-gordon-linked/

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Have to disagree, Nyambe started off badly I do agree. But he allowed very little down his side second half and his strength made the goal.

Interesting how people view the game differently isn't it. I agree about Nyambe. IMO it was defensively one of Douglas's better games - but for me only average. But I think this will always be the issue - his strength historically has been his passing/delivery - which we haven't really seen too much in his time at Rovers.