BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Lost count at the number of times we've needed decent center halves when the window approaches.

Don't remember anytime they've actually done something about it despite often admitting to having something in the pot left from summer. As mentioned having fragile Williams as back up to Ayala and Lenihen - both injury prone themselves - and a few young lads just isn't a strong enough platform to launch a top 6 bid.

Shame for Wharton of course, one who's actually had a tough grounding elsewhere to prepare.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Lost count at the number of times we've needed decent center halves when the window approaches.

Don't remember anytime they've actually done something about it despite often admitting to having something in the pot left from summer. As mentioned having fragile Williams as back up to Ayala and Lenihen - both injury prone themselves - and a few young lads just isn't a strong enough platform to launch a top 6 bid.

Shame for Wharton of course, one who's actually had a tough grounding elsewhere to prepare.

Wharton might’ve been on our minds all along when looking at finding a new left sided one.

It takes time but I think he has the potential to be as good if not better than Lenihan.

As for Ayala - the jury is out on him for me at the minute. Similar to Douglas, I just don’t think he’s anywhere near up to speed yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Wharton might’ve been on our minds all along when looking at finding a new left sided one.

It takes time but I think he has the potential to be as good if not better than Lenihan.

As for Ayala - the jury is out on him for me at the minute. Similar to Douglas, I just don’t think he’s anywhere near up to speed yet.

Agree on Wharton i'm no expert but he's one i saw years ago and thought he'd do ok. Main reason is he's always looked like a center defender he just looked comfortable in his position.

Darragh never looked that way although he's grown into it to be fair.  Despite some criticism i think they've done the right thing with Wharton letting him learn the hard yards for a few years elsewhere.

Not sure TM actually rates him that much his hand may have been forced a bit this season, credit to him though he does give them a chance regardless. The sheer amount of injuries in this position now though are getting crazy.

Center backs used to be the hardest barstewards on the pitch and considering the game is less physical than it was even 10 years ago ! I can't understand why they are all so prone to breaking down every few weeks nowadays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a short memory, it’s just that if you don’t rate a player, that’s it. There’s no chance of them winning you back round, no matter what they do....

He isn't good enough for promotion and he has made too many cock ups and misplaced passes over the years to win me back.  

11 hours ago, Butty said:

For arguments sake I’ll say the majority of those mistakes will have been when he was at left back, I’ve never denied that he was absolutely useless at left back but I’ll stand by my view that he’s a solid centre half option, I’m not saying he’s our best centre half but I don’t think he’s been to bad when he’s played this season, Lenihan hasn’t covered himself in glory at all and Ayala I’m not fully convinced by just yet, what I will give you credit for Sparks is being adamant that Wharton should have been getting more game time, me personally I wasn’t sure he was ready but he was growing with every game before his injury which is a huge shame. Lenihan and Ayala really need to raise there game now, fingers crossed they can form some sort of partnership cos it looks like they’re all we’ve got for the foreseeable! 

Williams hasn't played LB all season has he?

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If Wharton didn't get injured then we would have two right footed centre halves and two left footed centre halves this season.

Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton and Williams.

I don't think that is a bad choice actually but we have just been unfortunate with injuries. 

We have been unfortunate with Wharton's injury. The others have just lived up to their track records.

With the intensified schedule, too, it was always inevitable those three were going to be in and out of action.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoldierMo said:

Again blame Mowbray and recruitment...was it not possible to find a hardened centre back from league one? Im sure if researched correctly could have found one

QPR paid £1m + for arguably the best CB in League One and they're now languishing just above the relegation zone. Not an exact science by any means.

15 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

QPR paid £1m + for arguably the best CB in League One and they're now languishing just above the relegation zone. Not an exact science by any means.

Neither is pinning all their problems on one player 🙄

I think it was reasonable to assume we had enough cover at centre back. As far as I am aware Wharton has never been injury prone and him being out for the season has left us up the creek. Yes we could have stocked up one more. But I am sure everyone would then be complaining that it would have blocked Whartons path into the first team. Really bad luck. 

What won't be bad luck though is attempting to ride it out and not bring in another centre half until the end of the season at least. That is plain stupid. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SoldierMo said:

Again blame Mowbray and recruitment...was it not possible to find a hardened centre back from league one? Im sure if researched correctly could have found one

There's been a reluctance all along to invest properly in defense and there is no defense for it.

The keeper situ was similar and in the end they've had to buy a decent one.  Same thing with center defense if you want decent you'll have to find in and buy it.

17 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Those two things don't correlate automatically though....

So, by your reckoning anyone who is the best in league 1 in their position isnt worth buying.....? Dack?

• Like 1

You cannot have 3 of 4 centre backs injury prone and say you are well covered there. Even before one off events like Warton's injury (shame as he may turn out to be the best of them long term) which can and do happen you are massively gambling that at least 2 of the 3 stay fit.

Factor in those one off injuries, suspensions, personal circumstances and it's a receipe for disaster. I'm no mathematician but the odds of having 2 of the 3 available for most of the season is limited in the extreme. 

Oh then there's the fact it's a shortened season due to Covid increasing the likelihood of injuries and fatigue. That's only going to make the odds of the 3 being fit enough even less. 

And we haven't even started to talk about quality. Imo Williams isn't that good. He can have a cracking game at CB (and has) but he is just as capable of a stinker too. Not good enough imo. 

In short we really need a centre back. 

Then there's the left back situation. Goodness when you aren't sure if Bell or Douglas is better then you have a world of problems. At least most of our centre backs are decent when fit. Our left backs are absymal. Got to say Douglas surprised me as on paper he was a good signing. But then so was Bell when we got him too. Neither are up to it and it's a massive weakness in the team we can't afford to carry. 

So a left back is needed too. 

Then there's the minor detail of cover for Nayambe. It isn't Buckley and JRC is injured. (Anyone know how long for?) So we are short at rb if Nayambe is out too. 

Our defence is really held together with sticky tape. Build from the back? Out foundations are on sand. Thank goodness the keeper situation is sorted. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Williams hasn't played LB all season has he?

Sparks was saying he could remember many mistakes Williams has made since he’s been here in response to me saying Williams hasn’t done much wrong this season, so I was saying I bet the majority of those mistakes were when he was at left back because I don’t think he’s a bad centre half at all, I never said anything about Williams playing left back this season? 😂

Edited by Butty

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

Sparks was saying he could remember many mistakes Williams has made since he’s been here in response to me saying Williams hasn’t done much wrong this season, so I was saying I bet the majority of those mistakes were when he was at left back because I don’t think he’s a bad centre half at all, I never said anything about Williams playing left back this season? 😂

EDIT: Ignore, don’t know how I’ve managed to quote myself and post it 😂

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

It is January so not many players move but central defender and left back are critical requirements- very happy to take loans.

A huge amount hangs on the next four games. 

In my opinion:

Be in the mix and let's see the level of ambition if any in Pune. 

Be where we are and forget it.

If the kitty is dry then I suppose there is nothing we can do, this idea that Venkys take a keen interest and could get excited for a promotion push is fanciful. But across 3 positions, if we have to rely on 3 injury prone defenders in Nyambe, Ayala and Lenihan for a couple of months, you would expect there to be games in which at least one will miss out and there isnt anything close to a competent alternative, the only 2 options are Carter and Buckley! Thats before you consider the issues at left back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If the kitty is dry then I suppose there is nothing we can do, this idea that Venkys take a keen interest and could get excited for a promotion push is fanciful. But across 3 positions, if we have to rely on 3 injury prone defenders in Nyambe, Ayala and Lenihan for a couple of months, you would expect there to be games in which at least one will miss out and there isnt anything close to a competent alternative, the only 2 options are Carter and Buckley! Thats before you consider the issues at left back.

Rankin Costello will fill in at Right back when hes back. 

Lenihan has missed 7 games in the last 18 months due to Injury. Hardly injury prone is it? 

Left back should have been sorted by signing Ryan Manning permanent not loaning Douglas. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin Costello will fill in at Right back when hes back. 

Lenihan has missed 7 games in the last 18 months due to Injury. Hardly injury prone is it? 

Left back should have been sorted by signing Ryan Manning permanent not loaning Douglas. 

Deffo the Manning thing. 

• Like 1