BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, StaffordRover said:

I think he grew up in Telford, so yeah, very much a homecoming for him.

Pretty sure he lives in Telford now; I’ve seen him reference it before on Twitter

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pay his contract up. Solves the problem

We've done more of that than any club, ever, it must stop. If we are to pay him up he can come in, lay out cones, sweep the changing room etc etc. Keep him, you never know.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Lot of time for Benno. He epitomised everything that was good about that L1 promotion team. Deserves a lot more respect than the negative drivel written about him on this forum. 

In a normal job past successes count for nought 2-3 years down the line. Rovers need to be more ruthless with the money and unfortunately benno is surplus, thanks but bye....

Pickering, why not, send them one of our duffer left backs instead of loaning back Harry.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

In a normal job past successes count for nought 2-3 years down the line. Rovers need to be more ruthless with the money and unfortunately benno is surplus, thanks but bye....

Its not a normal job. They represent the community they play for. He has been superb for BRFC. Deserves more respect than thanks and bye. 

• Like 1

Bennett is born and bred Telford, and has a new pad outside of it on the Shrewsbury side - we share the same plumber. No need for him to wait until the summer as he isn’t needed at Rovers.

limited player, of which we can do better, but great bloke by the looks of it and will be a miss about the place in terms of character 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Its not a normal job. They represent the community they play for. He has been superb for BRFC. Deserves more respect than thanks and bye. 

Its normal to them. I'm glad he has helped in the community, plenty of other jobs do too. Pray tell how he has been superb, a few examples of this would be good. Why does he deserve more respect? He gets paid whether he contributes on the pitch or not and very handsomely at that.  Being a football player comes with many benefits that other jobs do not, full pay when sick or unable to work, for example.  Does the same happen in other sports? Perhaps we should buy him a watch?

Edited by Ulrich
  • Like 1

With the praise Mowbray gives him with his attitude at the club with the players and everyone else at the club i can see him going into coaching/management when his playing career is done,a move back to Shropshire to end his playing career would be an ideal move for him.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

We've done more of that than any club, ever, it must stop. If we are to pay him up he can come in, lay out cones, sweep the changing room etc etc. Keep him, you never know.

Pickering, why not, send them one of our duffer left backs instead of loaning back Harry.

Ah I know it’s not intended but Bell has done nothing sinister other than being not up to standard, not sure why we would pay him up or freeze him out.

If he’s not sold he’s just part of the squad, Douglas has improved but still not convinced he’s worlds better! 

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Superb? 

Really 

Yep. Attitude, application, passion, effort. Not the most gifted but more guts than most. You won't have been at the Shrewsbury home game when we effectively knocked the stuffing out of their charge for 2nd spot. Bennett and Smallwood went to war for the blue n white halves that day😉 Will live long in the memory. Legend! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think you appreciate that we will have to pay him no matter what. If no one wants him then just keep him around just in case.

I do appreciate the money side so your.comment is wrong.

I don't see the need for 3 first team left backs in the squad..

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like Pickering will be strangely loaned back. But if we kept him we may aswell have a third left back rather than literally just piss the money up the wall.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What if we got him, paid off Bell, and then Pickering and Douglas get injured/suspended?

You might think that's unlikely, but Douglas has a bit of a history and look how many injuries we are picking up this season, which may yet worsen with our awful home pitch. To look at another part of the defence, we had Williams, Ayala, Lenihan, Wharton for the two CB berths. That's 2 for each position. Then suddenly we only had Lenihan and had to put a CM in there for a few games. We would still be in that position now if the transfer window hadn't opened.

Ordinarily I'd agree that 2 for each position is fine. But in the circumstances of quick turnover of games, an injury record for one of them, 3 points off the playoffs and the fact we are paying the player anyway, surely it makes sense to keep him around, unless paying him off includes a massive saving for us?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ulrich said:

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Ah I know it’s not intended but Bell has done nothing sinister other than being not up to standard, not sure why we would pay him up or freeze him out.

If he’s not sold he’s just part of the squad, Douglas has improved but still not convinced he’s worlds better! 

I'm not trying to imply that Bell is a wrong un more that the attitude or suggestion to pay him off seems sillly/wrong. It was suggested by another poster that we should do this and given the ludicrous nature of that suggestion given previous antics is poor by a supporter.

Our current 2 are not up to the task, an improvement in this area would be good. He is young, nationalised so even if he flops we should be able to get something for him. I kinda see him like a bet, where your stake is guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Yep. Attitude, application, passion, effort. Not the most gifted but more guts than most. You won't have been at the Shrewsbury home game when we effectively knocked the stuffing out of their charge for 2nd spot. Bennett and Smallwood went to war for the blue n white halves that day😉 Will live long in the memory. Legend! 

So you don't think/expect football players should have a good attitude at work? Those that do should be club legends? I think working hard and displaying a good attitude at work is expected regardless. What attitude would you display in a job that paid you 5k a week? I think the fact you state these expected attitudes /approaches are to be commended and entitle players to respect etc., demonstrates more about how you perceive football players than anything else.  Working hard in any job is to be expected, no one wants an antagonist in the team.

Shrewsbury? Mate I am 45, I was at a field in 95, they were legends. Playing well against Shrewsbury just doesn't compare, nor does playing well once. My grandfather hit a hole in one once, he got a cup and everything, it was a superb performance....  Do you see where I am going.

The fact you are using expected aspects in every job on the planet, as being rare, and worthy of the most extreme praise to support your stance, is like building a house on quicksand. 

Thanks benno, bye benno, thanks for the amazing match against champions league winners Shrewsbury, oh and for helping send us to league one in the first place.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t let Benno go until the summer unless he was absolutely desperate to go. He’s been a good servant to the club and is versatile.

But in our current situation, just outside the playoffs and 10pts from 12 I think I’d keep him purely for his influence in the dressing room. He’s a BIG character in there and I see no point in unsettling it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

I'm not trying to imply that Bell is a wrong un more that the attitude or suggestion to pay him off seems sillly/wrong. It was suggested by another poster that we should do this and given the ludicrous nature of that suggestion given previous antics is poor by a supporter.

Our current 2 are not up to the task, an improvement in this area would be good. He is young, nationalised so even if he flops we should be able to get something for him. I kinda see him like a bet, where your stake is guaranteed.

So you don't think/expect football players should have a good attitude at work? Those that do should be club legends? I think working hard and displaying a good attitude at work is expected regardless. What attitude would you display in a job that paid you 5k a week? I think the fact you state these expected attitudes /approaches are to be commended and entitle players to respect etc., demonstrates more about how you perceive football players than anything else.  Working hard in any job is to be expected, no one wants an antagonist in the team.

Shrewsbury? Mate I am 45, I was at a field in 95, they were legends. Playing well against Shrewsbury just doesn't compare, nor does playing well once. My grandfather hit a hole in one once, he got a cup and everything, it was a superb performance....  Do you see where I am going.

The fact you are using expected aspects in every job on the planet, as being rare, and worthy of the most extreme praise to support your stance, is like building a house on quicksand. 

Thanks benno, bye benno, thanks for the amazing match against champions league winners Shrewsbury, oh and for helping send us to league one in the first place.

A lot of incorrect assumptions in there, based on very little.  

Well done on getting to Anfield. I was at Ewood for every FMC match in 87. Do I get a medal? 

Love Benno, your bizarre house analogies won't change that. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Maybe I’ve been spoilt or I’m just getting older and (even) more cynical, but I can’t say I ‘love’ any of the journeymen we’ve collected this past decade. The likes of Dack will stick with me, I suppose, but the Bennett’s of the world? 

It’ls like when the club Twitter was referring to Danny Graham as a ‘club legend’ the other month, now I’ve a lot of time for DG, thought he was a good, old school centre forward that largely did the business for us, but ‘club legend’? I suppose for Warren Lucy, he was.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

Get Pickering in, get him playing in the team, time is of the essence, both in terms of potentially getting into the play offs this season as well as getting him used to the championship for next year.. 

I would even pay Bells wages for the rest of the season to be loaned to Crewe for the rest of the season if it helps seal the deal now.

• Like 1

Rather than loaning Pickering back to them why not offer Bell to them on loan. He's not been up to the task for us but he is absolutely a competent league 1 left back. He got team of the season in our promotion year albeit mainly for performances at his previous club. He is poor at championship level but he is better than done on here give him credit for. We could even offer him on a free transfer as opposed to a loan and Crewe have an immediate long term replacement as opposed to a 6 month loan.

Even if Pickering isn't playing immediately it gives him a chance to bed in. Something Mowbray loves to do. If Crewe are playing hard ball and it's a case of loan him back or no deal I'd begrudgingly accept it since he seems like a sound piece of long term planning. But its not ideal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I wouldn’t let Benno go until the summer unless he was absolutely desperate to go. He’s been a good servant to the club and is versatile.

But in our current situation, just outside the playoffs and 10pts from 12 I think I’d keep him purely for his influence in the dressing room. He’s a BIG character in there and I see no point in unsettling it.

I'd keep Benno until the summer. Agree he is a positive influence on the dressing room and should we somehow manage to make something of this season he has value as an older head.

On the playing side of things. I wouldn't want to see him in the first team, but I'd far rather see him doing a job at right back than John Buckley. With JRC made of glass there is zero back up there without Bennet. Whom I agree is not adequate back up. But certainly a lot better than the next down the list.

21 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'd keep Benno until the summer. Agree he is a positive influence on the dressing room and should we somehow manage to make something of this season he has value as an older head.

On the playing side of things. I wouldn't want to see him in the first team, but I'd far rather see him doing a job at right back than John Buckley. With JRC made of glass there is zero back up there without Bennet. Whom I agree is not adequate back up. But certainly a lot better than the next down the list.

Whatever Bennett lacks in ability he makes up with endeavour. He can fill in if need be at fullback and anywhere in midfield. But for me, I’d want to keep my biggest positive influencers in the dressing room. So long as he’s happy with that role then I see no reason in pushing him out of the door.

The only way I see this happening is if Benno goes to the manager and asks for the move. It seems like a great one for him. Near to home and would likely get an 18 month contract which provides him with another year of playing plus income etc.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Pointless loaning him back - give them Bell for the season instead. He made the L1 team of the year as LB the season we were in it - how I dont know but its a good selling point lol.

It may have been the only way of getting the deal done. Perhaps Crewe said no deal unless that was agreed. They are in with a shout of the play offs so they could be thinking Pickering could help them up and then move on? 

• Like 2

Ideally I would give them Bell also, but the problem is, Bell has to want to go. We cannot force him into the move and if he chooses to stay, then he stays. I would expect him to come into training every day and be ready to play as and when required. Given our injury problems it may not be long before he is required.