BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Whatever Bennett lacks in ability he makes up with endeavour. He can fill in if need be at fullback and anywhere in midfield. But for me, I’d want to keep my biggest positive influencers in the dressing room. So long as he’s happy with that role then I see no reason in pushing him out of the door.

The only way I see this happening is if Benno goes to the manager and asks for the move. It seems like a great one for him. Near to home and would likely get an 18 month contract which provides him with another year of playing plus income etc.

Not on the pitch anymore im afraid. He isnt versatile in that I dont think he is capable of filling in especially at full back and doing a competent job at this stage. I take on board the stuff about his obvious off the field personality but then again, if he chose to reject Shrewsbury to be an off field mascot here, would that not be the same as Smallwood and Mulgrew in the past who both got criticised for choosing that route of being here and not in the team?

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

This is brilliant news!! Pickering is very highly rated and he’s got potential to fill a long term gaping hole in our team.

I’m not overly bothered about Kipre tbh. We just need a body and I can’t see how we can offer him regular football. Ayala should be fit in two weeks too. I’d bloody love us to go and get a CB out of League 1 or Europe for a couple of hundred grand rather than loan one.

Until the next injury.

I have noticed especially in the last year that the number of people and twitter accounts doing their own analysis has really multiplied for whatever reason. As I have mentioned, a scout at a Championship football club surely would watch a player numerous times and not select players solely on data/metrics/stats etc, and I am skeptical as to the use of them in general.

He ticks a lot of boxes, a young player who can fill the position for years if up to it quality wise and seems highly rated. I would take far more comfort in the opinions of Crewe supporters (assuming they are positive about him which it seems they are) over random data about how many crosses he does a game, how many progressive runs, how many expected assists he gets etc, even backed up with compilations of assists he has got. I have been criticised for putting too much stock into opinions of fans from other clubs and they obviously wont always bear fruit on how they will do here but I would put much more credibility into fans opinions who have seen the player week in week out over basing an opinion solely on data.

Not only can you not conclude based solely on data and highlights but I have noticed that all of the data out there show off the attacking side of his game, when what we have been constantly calling for and what we at the moment have managed to achieve is clean sheets, can Pickering help us with that? 

So I am cautiously optimistic based on this signing but I do think it is a shame that he seemingly wont sign until the summer. I do think the shirt should be Douglas' for the time being but if his form dips again or he gets injured, Bell is crap. I would suggest that the task for Douglas now would be to earn a years contract for next season with his performances and that would then conclude any business for that position for the next 18 months. If we can get Nyambe signed up long term, which I doubt at this stage, maybe we could have a pair of full backs to build on for quite a few years?

Just hope Mowbray isn't telling Kipre that he'll spend the next 4 months sat on the bench having to watch and learn from Branthwaite and Lenihan. 

He's not going to come here over Preston if he's going to be third in line here or playing every week there.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Yeah, who needs another class young cb on loan!!? Tosin and JB have been awful so far! 👀🤷🏽‍♂️

You know what I mean. Pep or Carlo would surely only be loaning us these two if they’re playing every week. Unless we change formation then one of them will be warming the bench.

• Like 2

We ain't going up or down. So why are we borrowing players for 20 games only to face replacing them again in the summer?

Mowbray was clear in the week that he doesn't want to do loans and yet that's what he's doing.

Can't afford Kipre so borrow someone cheaper is the outcome.

Bored with it to be honest. Come May we will be left with Ayala and Lenihan as our defence. Bell, Williams, Douglas, Branthwaite, Nyambe, Bennett and this new lad all down the road.

Where's the plan here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You know what I mean. Pep or Carlo would surely only be loaning us these two if they’re playing every week. Unless we change formation then one of them will be warming the bench.

Haha - I knew what you meant pal. Like I said before, for me this next Cb is a body really....that’s why I said I wasn’t bothered if it was Kipre or not. From what I’ve read THB is the REAL DEAL. If we’ve pulled this one off then it’s a great deal for us

Just now, JHRover said:

Bored with it to be honest. Come May we will be left with Ayala and Lenihan as our defence. Bell, Williams, Douglas, Branthwaite, Nyambe, Bennett and this new lad all down the road.

Nyambe has a year extension doesn't he? And looks like we're signing Pickering. Carter and Wharton to return. Not ideal but there'll be new signings and another couple of loans. 

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

We ain't going up or down. So why are we borrowing players for 20 games only to face replacing them again in the summer?

Mowbray was clear in the week that he doesn't want to do loans and yet that's what he's doing.

Where's the plan here?

Because we don't have the money in this window to make permanent signings?And not many clubs are making permanent signings without selling players.

We have a years extension on the contract of Nyambe,reported by the telegraph.The Rothwell years extension was on the rovers website.

Bell,Williams and Bennett ain't the standard required.

Just now, Ossydave said:

HB is really highly rated but I can't work out how another centre half on loan makes sense (as things stand). 

Really? Williams and Wharton are out for the season...Ayala still out....so basically we’re back to Johnson if either Lenihan or JB get injured.

• Like 3

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Nyambe has a year extension doesn't he? And looks like we're signing Pickering. Carter and Wharton to return. Not ideal but there'll be new signings and another couple of loans. 

I started a reply to him and had to delete. The post made no sense. 

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

HB is really highly rated but I can't work out how another centre half on loan makes sense (as things stand). 

It makes sense because it plugs a gap. Come the end of the season we will have Williams wage to find a replacement, plus Wharton back from injury. We don’t need an expensive loan signing (Kipre) because Braithwaite and Lenihan are looking good together plus we have Ayala — who when not injured — is one of the best CBs in the league. We need cover to get us until the end of the season and the difference in wage between HB and Kipre will give us money for Pickering. 

I like it. Great use of the budget from TM. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Really? Williams and Wharton are out for the season...Ayala still out....so basically we’re back to Johnson if either Lenihan or JB get injured.

Hence why I said as things stand! Do City loan him to sit on our bench? Unlikely, do we bench Darragh? Equally unlikely.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Where's the plan here?

A shot at the Play Offs with a view of promotion ..?