BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Really? Williams and Wharton are out for the season...Ayala still out....so basically we’re back to Johnson if either Lenihan or JB get injured.

Not even got Johnson have we. He's injured too so fuck knows who will go in the centre. Yep a CH is a must at mo. My only concern is its a young looking partnership. Rather have an experience body but if they ain't available what can you do. 

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

It makes sense because it plugs a gap. Come the end of the season we will have Williams wage to find a replacement, plus Wharton back from injury. We don’t need an expensive loan signing (Kipre) because Braithwaite and Lenihan are looking good together plus we have Ayala — who when not injured — is one of the best CBs in the league. We need cover to get us until the end of the season and the difference in wage between HB and Kipre will give us money for Pickering. 

I like it. Great use of the budget from TM. 

Yes I like it if he wants to sit on the bench, and yes we need cover. I just don't see how city would benefit from it, unless of course we have injuries (or drop DL)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

It makes sense because it plugs a gap. Come the end of the season we will have Williams wage to find a replacement, plus Wharton back from injury. We don’t need an expensive loan signing (Kipre) because Braithwaite and Lenihan are looking good together plus we have Ayala — who when not injured — is one of the best CBs in the league. We need cover to get us until the end of the season and the difference in wage between HB and Kipre will give us money for Pickering. 

I like it. Great use of the budget from TM. 

I really don't see him as one of the best in the Championship. He is of average standard to me. Throw in his injuries and it's a poor signing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HowieFive0 said:

A shot at the Play Offs with a view of promotion ..? 

It isn't going to happen. You know that as well as I do.

Even if it did that would mean going into the PL with no defence and having to build a new one virtually from scratch.

Complete short termism at odds with everything the manager has said about building assets and growing a squad. 

Strangely though it fits in well with the 'lease' policy Venkys were keen on when they turned up

Low cost, short term, low risk, but medium to long term of little benefit to the club as we have to replace every transfer window and help develop other clubs players.

I'm struggling to work out how anyone can suggest this is a great deal for Rovers. We borrow a player for 21 games, are under pressure to get him game time to keep the parent club happy, and come the summer have to find someone else.

Its just a make do and mend job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Yes I like it if he wants to sit on the bench, and yes we need cover. I just don't see how city would benefit from it, unless of course we have injuries (or drop DL)

Half a season City beneft by having a youngster at the very least on the bench every week in the Championship. and as we ve all seen ..a bloody good chance of playing wih the injuries we sustain ..like most other Championship clubs. Meanwhile we have CH back up which 90% of this forum was crying out for .

Just now, arbitro said:

I really don't see him as one of the best in the Championship. He is of average standard to me. Throw in his injuries and it's a poor signing

He’s been a mainstay in two promotion winning defences and has either played PL football or played for teams in/around the top 6 in the Championship. Ayala is a superb defender, he’s just got a dreadful injury record. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Even if it did that would mean going into the PL with no defence and having to build a new one virtually from scratch.

Complete short termism at odds with everything the manager has said about building assets and growing a squad. 

Strangely though it fits in well with the 'lease' policy Venkys were keen on when they turned up

Low cost, short term, low risk, but medium to long term of little benefit to the club as we have to replace every transfer window and help develop other clubs players.

I'm struggling to work out how anyone can suggest this is a great deal for Rovers. We borrow a player for 21 games, are under pressure to get him game time to keep the parent club happy, and come the summer have to find someone else.

Well we d all be pisssd off if we didnt go for it in the second half of the season ..by hook or by crook ?.

Get to the Promised land JH ..half the squad we have now would probably (hopefully!) disappear ..lets get there first ..anyway ..and we ll worry about our defence in the PL when we really have too. If ever ..

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Nyambe has a year extension doesn't he? And looks like we're signing Pickering. Carter and Wharton to return. Not ideal but there'll be new signings and another couple of loans. 

The same Carter that Mowbray shipped out to Burton Albion rather than give a chance to here and one of the reasons we need new defenders? Not sure he's a solution.

I expect a defence to be built on solid foundations and consistency. Familiarity and experience knowing each other inside out and then build from that. Most managers get the defence sorted and build on it. Year 5 of the slow build and still going down the short term borrow a teenager from a PL club route. Then repeat again in the summer.

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

He’s been a mainstay in two promotion winning defences and has either played PL football or played for teams in/around the top 6 in the Championship. Ayala is a superb defender, he’s just got a dreadful injury record. 

26 PL appearances it was, the last of which was some time ago. It's about opinions and I don't see him as one of the best in the Championship as you describe him.

Harwood Bellis would be an interesting one. I would welcome another centre back for sure, ideally one with experience hence why I would prefer Kipre who has the know how to slot in, there is always a risk with a kid with barely any senior football even with past success stories as much of his reputation will be based on sanitised kids football.

It is a further example of something that Mowbray deserves credit for, he has seemingly boosted our reputation as a potential club to loan players to. Conversely, having Branthwaite AND Harwood Bellis if he signs, wouldnt that mean that at least one (assuming Ayala never gets his place back this season) will be sat on the bench which could then hinder that reputation going forward? Central defence is not an area for rotation so there is also a risk that Mowbray will tinker a little too much in order to keep Ancelotti and Pep equally happy. And I dont think youd want 2 kids together, so we will need to wait and see how it plays out. In an ideal world, we would bring in a more ready made senior defender for whom there wouldnt be third party pressure to play assuming that Lenihan and Branthwaite continue to keep clean sheets, but I suppose especialy financially that is easier said than done.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

The same Carter that Mowbray shipped out to Burton Albion rather than give a chance to here and one of the reasons we need new defenders? Not sure he's a solution.

I expect a defence to be built on solid foundations and consistency. Familiarity and experience knowing each other inside out and then build from that. Most managers get the defence sorted and build on it. Year 5 of the slow build and still going down the short term borrow a teenager from a PL club route. Then repeat again in the summer.

Familiarity like Nyambe Lenihan, Ayala & Pickering?

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

Cant argue with the reputation, the worry down to the injuries and his increasing age could mean that he is never physically capable of recapturing that form, especially as it would require consistent starts.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How does Pickering fit in with your suggested ‘lease’ policy? Or do you prefer inventing narratives to criticise the club. There are plenty of reasons to judge TM and the club hierarchy, loaning exciting talent from top PL clubs is not one of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Harwood Bellis would be an interesting one. I would welcome another centre back for sure, ideally one with experience hence why I would prefer Kipre who has the know how to slot in, there is always a risk with a kid with barely any senior football even with past success stories as much of his reputation will be based on sanitised kids football.

It is a further example of something that Mowbray deserves credit for, he has seemingly boosted our reputation as a potential club to loan players to. Conversely, having Branthwaite AND Harwood Bellis if he signs, wouldnt that mean that at least one (assuming Ayala never gets his place back this season) will be sat on the bench which could then hinder that reputation going forward? Central defence is not an area for rotation so there is also a risk that Mowbray will tinker a little too much in order to keep Ancelotti and Pep equally happy. And I dont think youd want 2 kids together, so we will need to wait and see how it plays out. In an ideal world, we would bring in a more ready made senior defender for whom there wouldnt be third party pressure to play assuming that Lenihan and Branthwaite continue to keep clean sheets, but I suppose especialy financially that is easier said than done.

I can only think the injury Ayala has is worse than feared or the very least an accident waiting to happen if he does play again. forget Pep and Ancelloti ..they ll know the score ..if the kids are dont perform ..they ll be be dropped ..they know how football works ..and wouldnt expect anything else. 

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

How does Pickering fit in with your suggested ‘lease’ policy? Or do you prefer inventing narratives to criticise the club. There are plenty of reasons to judge TM and the club hierarchy, loaning exciting talent from top PL clubs is not one of them.

So, we buy a supposed top left back and then don't play him when we are 2 points off 6th place...instead he is playing league 1 football....what do we do with him if by magic we do go up?

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Surely we don’t need another PL CB youngster on loan. Makes zero sense.

we need a cover centre back and if we can sign this one then we have that plus it allow us in a summer to sign a permanent player with the wages that will be available in the summer with the out of contract players going. 

40 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We ain't going up or down. So why are we borrowing players for 20 games only to face replacing them again in the summer?

Mowbray was clear in the week that he doesn't want to do loans and yet that's what he's doing.

Can't afford Kipre so borrow someone cheaper is the outcome.

Bored with it to be honest. Come May we will be left with Ayala and Lenihan as our defence. Bell, Williams, Douglas, Branthwaite, Nyambe, Bennett and this new lad all down the road.

Where's the plan here?

We are 3 points off the top 6 with 17 games. You might want to think we aint going up be 10 points from last 4 games with 3 clean sheets would suggest we have a good chance getting top 6. Don't know why you think like that. 

Where the plan? Mowbray is signing a left back in Harry Pickering that will be our long term number 1 left back and signing a loan centre back to be back up. Signing 2 players within the budget. 

Do you know what terms WBA want Kipre? 

Next season, we will have Nyambe here as we have 1 year club option, Lenihan, Ayala and Wharton plus left back Pickering. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

6 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

I can only think the injury Ayala has is worse than feared or the very least an accident waiting to happen if he does play again. forget Pep and Ancelloti ..they ll know the score ..if the kids are dont perform ..they ll be be dropped ..they know how football works ..and wouldnt expect anything else. 

I do think that a lot is on reputation though, the way that Reed, Adarabioyo and Elliott have been used is obviously in Mowbray's further. Say the current 2 stay fit and on form for the rest of the season and Harwood Bellis having been convinced to be sent here on loan doesnt play, it has to impact our reputation negatively though. Big clubs often put in clauses where the club is financially penalised for not playing their players.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we need a cover centre back and if we can sign this one then we have that plus it allow us in a summer to sign a permanent player with the wages that will be available in the summer with the out of contract players going. 

We are 3 points off the top 6 with 17 games. You might want to think we aint going up be 10 points from last 4 games with 3 clean sheets would suggest we have a good chance getting top 6. Don't know why you think like that. 

Where the plan? Mowbray is signing a left back in Harry Pickering that will be our long term number 1 left back and signing a loan centre back to be back up. Signing 2 players within the budget. 

Do you need what terms WBA want Kipre? 

Next season, we will have Nyambe here as we have 1 year club option, Lenihan, Ayala and Wharton plus left back Pickering. 

Are you still hopeful that Pickering should sign now, that Bell should be paid off and you would be disappointed if it turns out otherwise?