BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

23 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Sharpe this morning on Roberts.

Screenshot 2021-02-01 082058.jpg

I wasn't denying the rumour. I'd seen it myself. That's why I asked him. I posted it merely to let people know how unlikely it was given his wages. If you wish to believe there's a chance that's up to you. 🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I wasn't denying the rumour. I'd seen it myself. That's why I asked him. I posted it merely to let people know how unlikely it was given his wages. If you wish to believe there's a chance that's up to you. 🙄

Erm ..i just posted it for people to read ..nothing more ..nothing less .. 🙄

17 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Moan, moan, moan when defenders do in fact come, you lot 😅

Come on who'd be surprised to see   Bennett/JRC,  Lenihen,  Williams,  Bell  start the 1st game next season 😬

Defenders are most welcome at last and lets hope they make it count this season. Might be nice at some point to see 'our' defenders signed.

After a decade of neglect with the pitch though brass might be tight come summer !

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Erm ..i just posted it for people to read ..nothing more ..nothing less .. 🙄

I assumed as you quoted me it was a gentle dig. I apologise, its early and homeschooling is getting on my tits already and making me grouchy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t think you quite understand my point. I have no issue with clubs sending players out on loan, it’s us using it as a sticking plaster rather than building a consistent squad 

Better a sticking plaster, than an open wound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CD_93 said:

Moan, moan, moan when defenders do in fact come, you lot 😅

The trouble is come the end of the season they will be gone and we will be back to square one needing more defensive signings. Tony Mowbray once said you can't build a team through loan's yet he seems to think he can build a defence through them. Unless the loan signings get us promoted then they haven't been successful signings for us, the only two parties they are a success for are the player and his parent club. For a manager who talks about building and a journey it is very short sighted.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The trouble is come the end of the season they will be gone and we will be back to square one needing more defensive signings. Tony Mowbray once said you can't build a team through loan's yet he seems to think he can build a defence through them. Unless the loan signings get us promoted then they haven't been successful signings for us, the only two parties they are a success for are the player and his parent club. For a manager who talks about building and a journey it is very short sighted.

He doesn't have the money though.

In the summer he signed a goalkeeper and a centre half on long term deals and welcomed back Wharton into the first team.

We are now signing a left back to a long term deal.

Most clubs have funded any incomings by selling players

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That is the reality of running a football club these days. You have to make the best of what you have got. This is where the manager should earn his contract.

I'm afraid when I scrutinise things the only conclusion I am coming round to is that Mowbray isn't the only conductor of our transfer business. 

Only last week he was again publicly stating in his interviews that he wasn't keen on the loan market as a solution and that he wanted to get permanent transfers in to build on and have as assets. That was off the back of the Branthwaite deal and now fast forward a week or so and here we are doing similar again.

I don't believe in coincidences like this. I believe Mowbray uses the press to get messages out to the fans and more importantly to India. Same thing happens when it comes to new contracts- he's sending messages to the owners about how they need to sort contracts out quickly, and also how we cannot as a club rely on the loan market.

Unfortunately they seem to enjoy the short termism and high turnover in players. 

Of course if a couple of decent loans propel us into promotion or bring in quality like Harvey Elliott, who we wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of doing better than on a permanent deal, then its worth doing as a means to an end. But medium to long term we need the defence in particular addressing. A turnover in personnel every 6 months is unnecessary and unhelpful. I also refuse to accept that we can't find a defence of good Championship quality without the loan market.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm afraid when I scrutinise things the only conclusion I am coming round to is that Mowbray isn't the only conductor of our transfer business. 

Only last week he was again publicly stating in his interviews that he wasn't keen on the loan market as a solution and that he wanted to get permanent transfers in to build on and have as assets. That was off the back of the Branthwaite deal and now fast forward a week or so and here we are doing similar again.

I don't believe in coincidences like this. I believe Mowbray uses the press to get messages out to the fans and more importantly to India. Same thing happens when it comes to new contracts- he's sending messages to the owners about how they need to sort contracts out quickly, and also how we cannot as a club rely on the loan market.

Unfortunately they seem to enjoy the short termism and high turnover in players. 

Of course if a couple of decent loans propel us into promotion or bring in quality like Harvey Elliott, who we wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of doing better than on a permanent deal, then its worth doing as a means to an end. But medium to long term we need the defence in particular addressing. A turnover in personnel every 6 months is unnecessary and unhelpful. I also refuse to accept that we can't find a defence of good Championship quality without the loan market.

Well we haven't done so far.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So how do you explain the permanent signing of Pickering?

Loans are too short term but permanents are not short term enough?

• Like 2

Just now, islander200 said:

In the summer he signed a goalkeeper and a centre half on long term deals and welcomed back Wharton into the first team.

We are now signing a left back to a long term deal.

How about the £350K and 4 year deal on his mate from Boro's son. That money could have been put to much better use especially when you consider the number of young keepers we had on the books and even Tony can only get one on the pitch at a time. Four years as manager and he still hasn't spent a single penny on centre backs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The poor chap. It's also a big advantage for a manager not selling any players. 

Also he's had umpteen windows to get it right and we are still struggling 

• Like 1