BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

How are back to square one? We will need a couple of signings that's it. 

I disagree on loans signings not being success unless we get promote. 

Isnt Pickering signing good for the long term left back situation? 

I'll let you know when I've actually seen him play. Bell was supposed to be the long term left back solution and we also had a dabble with Hart. Regarding full backs our recent record isn't great, especially if you throw Caddis into the equation. I'm keeping my money in my pocket at the moment.

Some people can’t have it both ways.

Criticising the signing of loan players as being evidence of short-terminism but conveniently forgetting that we’re also signing a permanent long term prospect for left back. We clearly have a good relationship with top clubs in the PL so why not make the most of it? We have access to a calibre of player we could not otherwise afford. 

• Like 4

Be interesting to see how it works with the Everton loan and City one. Assuming neither would be allowed to join if they were to sit on the bench for the majority of the season. 

Pressure on Lenihan is no bad thing but I can't see us dropping him in favour of one of these 2.

Back 3 formation going forward?

6 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Be interesting to see how it works with the Everton loan and City one. Assuming neither would be allowed to join if they were to sit on the bench for the majority of the season. 

Pressure on Lenihan is no bad thing but I can't see us dropping him in favour of one of these 2.

Back 3 formation going forward?

Who knows ? It does give us that option. I think one of them will be on the bench but with Lenihan you've always a chance of a card or an injury.

It makes you wonder what's going on with Ayala.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

BBC report on Ben Davies joining Liverpool..

'Burnley were also interested but it is understood Preston were not keen to sell a local rival.'

Delusions of grandeur from the nobbers, or an attempt at putting the Dingles in their place? 🤣

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

BBC report on Ben Davies joining Liverpool..

'Burnley were also interested but it is understood Preston were not keen to sell a local rival.'

Delusions of grandeur from the nobbers, or an attempt at putting the Dingles in their place? 🤣

Doesn't make sense seeing as PNE and Burnley are in different divisions unless PNE think the Clarets will be in the Championship next season. PNE certainly won't get promoted

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why do you disagree?

Because come the summer we will need at least 1 probably 2 centre backs just like last summer, we will need at least one left back unless Bell contract is extended and I'd hope we aren't going to do that.  And we will also need at least one right back, which will become 2 if Nyambe goes. As with every summer under Mowbray the defence will need a fair few signings and why is that the case every summer because he sorts the defensive issues through short term loans. 

cos I judge signings on their performances in a Blackburn Rovers shirt plus goals and assists stats. 

Loan signings also get us excess to Young quality players we would have no chance of signing. 

On the summer Recruitment for the defence, I think we might need 1 right back cos Nyambe we have 12 months club extension option so going nowhere, Yes we need a centre back but good chance possible we could get Branthwaite or Harwood-Bellis back on loan next season. on left back, Pickering will be here and JB said that Douglas as signed 12 months contract for next season. 

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'll let you know when I've actually seen him play. Bell was supposed to be the long term left back solution and we also had a dabble with Hart. Regarding full backs our recent record isn't great, especially if you throw Caddis into the equation. I'm keeping my money in my pocket at the moment.

was Bell meant to be? 

Caddis was in his 30's when signed here and back up to Nyambe. 

Pickering is highly rated by those who knows alot about him, his stats are impressive and we seem to get him for cheap fee.  

• Backroom

The problem with Douglas is that one of his supposedly major attributes, crossing, is wasted here as we rarely play with a target man. Would have been a lot more useful when we had Graham up front, not so much with Arma. He's also slow which causes problems in our current formation. I'm an advocate of moving away from 4-3-3 anyway, and think we absolutely have to do so for Douglas to be useful for the second half of the season. 

Our CB issue will be a big one in the summer, again. Lenihan an average Championship defender who spends a fair amount of time suspended or in the treatment room. Ayala doesn't like to play during the winter. Nyambe also struggles with fitness and is our primary RB. Williams out of contract and presumably leaving. Wharton had a good start before getting injured, but we can't get too carried away with that. He still has plenty to prove.

CB/LB have been the two areas that Mowbray has thoroughly neglected throughout his tenure here and it has caused us plenty of problems. Hopefully Pickering will be a good long-term LB option but frankly I'd never heard of him before we were linked to him, so I can't say whether he'll be any good or not. We can only hope, as I don't think we'll be spending much more than that on any defensive position. 

• Like 1

The Pickering one is a strange one to judge, a lot of people seem to have concluded solely from data that he will be a brilliant signing but that can be a dangerous conclusion. It does underwhelm that the signing wont go through until the summer and you do wonder if he was such a stand out talent, why it is even possible that he should remain out on loan in League 1, for example if Chapman does well this season I doubt that would suddenly change things for him. Douglas has had a recent turn of form but if his injuries re-occur or his form drops, we have no credible alternatives.

I do like the fact that there seems to be an element of forward planning however, whether he will come in and be first choice left back straight away next season remains to be seen, but Douglas can play for a contract in the next 20 games too and that could potentially be a problematic position solved with a younger talent and an older experienced head competing next season.

Ultimately like seemingly everyone else I havent seen him play full games but I am cautiously optimistic at signing a highly rated left back as part of a longer term plan. Loan signings split people and for me they are to sign talents that you couldnt normally afford, or to fill temporary gaps due to unavailability. Elliott very much fits the former and is a talent we wouldnt normally afford, the 2 kids at CB are to add bodies in an area we are light in so those 3 make sense. Douglas felt like plugging a gap by sticking a plaster on it but as mentioned, he could earn a contract, which just leaves Trybull as a bit of a puzzle.

On Branthwaite and soon to be Harwood Bellis, both are very raw and ideally we would go out and get someone like Brentford (a direct rival) getting ready made quality in Winston Reid but we do have the cover now. I just desperately hope that Mowbray doesnt try to rotate or even change the system to please their parent clubs.

Whilst 2 kids on loan and a young left back who wont join until next season might not be the most exciting window, I think it would have been difficult to expect more. The target now has to be to sign up Armstrong, Nyambe, Lenihan and one or two others on longer deals if at all possible, although especially with the first 2 that will be difficult if not impossible. Failing that, the summer might be a bit of a rebuild.

Dont get why Buckley isnt going out on loan.

Edited by roversfan99

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pickering is highly rated by those who knows alot about him, his stats are impressive and we seem to get him for cheap fee.  

I thought that you'd be disappointed with the Pickering signing as towards the end of last season when people were saying we should be making signings you said it was stupid to sign players for the following season before we knew what league we were going to be in.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Loan signings also get us excess to Young quality players we would have no chance of signing. 

I have no problem with one or 2 loan signings to plug a gap or two but 5 is excessive and is going to leave at lot of work to be done in the summer.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pickering will be here and JB said that Douglas as signed 12 months contract for next season. 

I'd be very surprised if that is already the case. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

cos I judge signings on their performances in a Blackburn Rovers shirt plus goals and assists stats. 

On the summer Recruitment for the defence, I think we might need 1 right back cos Nyambe we have 12 months club extension option so going nowhere, Yes we need a centre back but good chance possible we could get Branthwaite or Harwood-Bellis back on loan next season. on left back, Pickering will be here and JB said that Douglas as signed 12 months contract for next season. 

was Bell meant to be? 

Caddis was in his 30's when signed here and back up to Nyambe. 

Not true on Douglas.

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

I thought that you'd be disappointed with the Pickering signing as towards the end of last season when people were saying we should be making signings you said it was stupid to sign players for the following season before we knew what league we were going to be in.

I have no problem with one or 2 loan signings to plug a gap or two but 5 is excessive and is going to leave at lot of work to be done in the summer.

I'd be very surprised if that is already the case. 

Very true on the hypocrisy of signing players half a season in advance for not knowing what division we are in!

I welcome forward planning but I also criticised the club for being so lackadaisical waiting so long to sort budgets etc.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst 2 kids on loan and a young left back who wont join until next season might not be the most exciting window, I think it would have been difficult to expect more. 

Might seem pickety but why do you constantly refer to them as "kids"? 

Brainthwaite is a 6 foot 5 18 year old with Premier League appearances. He's hardly a kid. He's a fully grown man. You throw kids around in every post you talk about him but, personally, as a 27 year old I would think I would give any kid a run for their money. Put me up against the man that is Branthwaite and I would be thrown around like a rag doll.

The same goes for Harwood Bellis, who has played in Champions League games and is a 6 foot 2 19 year old man.

While they might not read this and it is irrelevant to them you should pay them the respect they have earnt and refer to men as men and stop trying to disregard them as kids. They are probably bigger and wider than you are.