BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Scott Dann WAS a good defender.......for Crystal Palace.

Here, barring one brief spell when he'd got fit and was playing for the move he was average to pish at best. No better than Hanley really just a bit less alehouse.

Only lad at 6.2 who became 5.8 when jumping for a header

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Douglas out of contract end of season.

That may be, but if we’ve signed Pickering, I’d be surprised if we re sign Douglas...

(Unless we get rid of Bell, which I’d be in favour of tbh).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

That may be, but if we’ve signed Pickering, I’d be surprised if we re sign Douglas...

(Unless we get rid of Bell, which I’d be in favour of tbh).

Bell also finishes contract end of season.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm definitely an optimist when it comes to Rovers, and have pretty consistently said that Mowbray gets far too much stick on here, but I think saying that he's been dealt crumbs is a little too far. As his detractors have been quick to point out, he hasn't been forced to sell any of our first teamers since his arrival, and whilst our budget means that he needs to look for value it's clear that we still have more spending power than a few in this league. 

I agree that he is developing the squad quite nicely, and a couple of buys have been tremendous investments, so perhaps I'm splitting hairs a bit. 

That sounds fair. 

Mowbray isn’t very complicated as a manager. But, I believe him to be trying to right the ship, and move us upward. I’m pretty sure all these loans wont get us where we need to be, but they are steps in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Just now, WacoRover said:

That sounds fair. 

Mowbray isn’t very complicated as a manager. But, I believe him to be trying to right the ship, and move us upward. I’m pretty sure all these loans wont get us where we need to be, but they are steps in the right direction. 

Agree. I also think this is the first season where our squad is good enough to view a top six finish as something to expect (or at least expected to get very close to) rather than just hope for. This means two things. First, it's completely fair to hold TM to a higher standard for this season's finish, but also that he deserves credit for the squad being improved enough on a fairly modest budget that we can have those higher expectations. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

You can fault TM for his tactical nous (and I do!) but you can't fault his transfer dealings in the past two windows. Some real rabbits out of the hat being pulled.

We now have three of the best young players in the country playing for us. 

I'm sure he plays his part in it but he himself credits the recruitment dept with a lot of decent recent incomings.

So we should be aiming praise in that direction really and save the TM praise for when he makes a good team out of them.  That's his main job in it all now.

The owners also deserve credit ( through gritted teeth from me ) for providing this manager with incredible backing considering the zero income. Now they should stop peeing around, over complicating things and just have a real go at it.

Nothing whatsoever to lose and no excuse whatsoever for playing safety first disjointed going nowhere stuff. Get after teams !

22 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

The way I read it is that the transfer COULD be worth UP TO 7m, depending as I said if all the clauses are met, presumably such as appearances, goals, international call ups. I don't recall an actual up front amount being mentioned at the time. 

I would also think that with his improvement over the last few months if we were ever to sell Brereton we could at least get our money back

you think somebody else would buy BB for 7 million?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

how is mowbray going to accomodate harwood-bellis??will he do the unthinkable and drop lenihan??,both the loan boys are most likely here because their clubs stated they need game time and thats why they were loaned to us,risky to put two teenagers at centre back imo,looking forward to mowbrays tactical conundrum on this one

3 at the back, two fullbacks pushed forward, 3 in midfield two strikers.

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'm sure he plays his part in it but he himself credits the recruitment dept with a lot of decent recent incomings.

So we should be aiming praise in that direction really and save the TM praise for when he makes a good team out of them.  That's his main job in it all now.

The owners also deserve credit ( through gritted teeth from me ) for providing this manager with incredible backing considering the zero income. Now they should stop peeing around, over complicating things and just have a real go at it.

Nothing whatsoever to lose and no excuse whatsoever for playing safety first disjointed going nowhere stuff. Get after teams !

All true but it was Mowbrays vision on setting up the scouting / recruitment networks. It’s the fruits of their labour but the failure AND success must fall on his head.

However, the deals for Elliott, THB and JB are very much driven by the manager and his growing reputation (rightly or wrongly) as someone who develops young players. 

We can’t have it both ways mate. He’s either 100% responsible, or he’s not.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

3 at the back, two fullbacks pushed forward, 3 in midfield two strikers.

He addressed this in his interview yesterday. Has told THB that there’s 7 games in Feb and the current first 11 can’t play all those games so he’ll get a chance and it’s up to him to keep the shirt.

We shouldnt be considering dropping Lenihan who has been probably our best player in the last month, or coming up with a new formation to fit in 2 loanees. If Mowbray feels like he has to go out of his way to give the 2 young lads regular game time, then the deals are not to our advantage. Lenihan and Branthwaite have the shirts, Bellis should wait until injury/drop of form.

• Like 1