BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Enough of this tippy tappy 69% possession horsesh!t - we need a big strong, capable target man, to aim for and to hold up the ball in opponent's territory and who our other players with an eye for goal can feed off.

Chris Martin would do for me. Feck it, this guy would do it for me, if he could add the difference to make the differencegiphy.gif

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sam Gallagher? Nah, he’s rubbish.

He can't trap a ball for sh!t, can't bring others into play the way a decent target man would, can't impose himself one on one with defenders with their back to goal... I wish it was otherwise, but we just haven't seen that in his game. I'd be delighted if Sam could do all those things AND WAS ALLOWED TO!! But sadly it appears he can't and he ISN'T ALLOWED TO! Hmmm, do you think another choirmaster could get a different tune from this band? (another thread yes).. So, in January, in the absence of SG coming good, please could we just buy a battering ram?

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Am I John Butcher in disguise? (I'll tell you, afsher anosser chen pints...)

14 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

He can't trap a ball for sh!t, can't bring others into play the way a decent target man would, can't impose himself one on one with defenders with their back to goal... I wish it was otherwise, but we just haven't seen that in his game. I'd be delighted if Sam could do all those things AND WAS ALLOWED TO!! But sadly it appears he can't and he ISN'T ALLOWED TO! Hmmm, do you think another choirmaster could get a different tune from this band? (another thread yes).. So, in January, in the absence of SG coming good, please could we just buy a battering ram?

I don't know what to think of Sam Gallagher. He has some of the attributes to at least be effective. Basically he is playing garbage. But he is massive and mobile. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get him learning how to wrestle for space. Back into a defender. Stop trying to get his head on things. Literally just find a spot, hold his ground and let it hit him. He's got a crap first touch but you don't even need a good touch to let a ball hit you in the stomach. That's the level we are at with him now. He would be more effective as a lump to hit the ball into. But he can't even seem to do that. 

The bloke also has pace when he gets up to speed. I swear a different manager would be able to turn a poor player into a mildly effective one. But as it is he's being played out of position. And he is completely useless at what he's trying to do. If he could be utilised for 2 things he'd be useful. Getting in the way of long balls for players to pick up the loose ends and knocking it into space in front of him for him to gallop onto. He's also a bloody hard worker so can press well. All we do is play it into his feet. And he has about one of the worst first touches I've ever seen. And watching him trying to beat a man from a standing start is cringeworthy.

I know he wasn't prolific before signing but his career has nosedived here dramatically. He needs taking out the side and needs some one on one attention and stop being shoe-horned in because of his price tag. Coach him to use the attributes he does have. Then maybe we will see some return on the pitch for our investment. As it stands Mowbrays use of him is ruining his career. Yes he's not developed on the attributes he has which he is accountable for. But I really think a little guidance for him would go a long, long way. Rant over

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't know what to think of Sam Gallagher. He has some of the attributes to at least be effective. Basically he is playing garbage. But he is massive and mobile. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get him learning how to wrestle for space. Back into a defender. Stop trying to get his head on things. Literally just find a spot, hold his ground and let it hit him. He's got a crap first touch but you don't even need a good touch to let a ball hit you in the stomach. That's the level we are at with him now. He would be more effective as a lump to hit the ball into. But he can't even seem to do that. 

The bloke also has pace when he gets up to speed. I swear a different manager would be able to turn a poor player into a mildly effective one. But as it is he's being played out of position. And he is completely useless at what he's trying to do. If he could be utilised for 2 things he'd be useful. Getting in the way of long balls for players to pick up the loose ends and knocking it into space in front of him for him to gallop onto. He's also a bloody hard worker so can press well. All we do is play it into his feet. And he has about one of the worst first touches I've ever seen. And watching him trying to beat a man from a standing start is cringeworthy.

I know he wasn't prolific before signing but his career has nosedived here dramatically. He needs taking out the side and needs some one on one attention and stop being shoe-horned in because of his price tag. Coach him to use the attributes he does have. Then maybe we will see some return on the pitch for our investment. As it stands Mowbrays use of him is ruining his career. Yes he's not developed on the attributes he has which he is accountable for. But I really think a little guidance for him would go a long, long way. Rant over

Mowbray has spent £5m on him, he has to shoehorn him in somewhere. He's not a left winger of right winger but he could be a decent/good Championship striker. Mr No-Plan-B should mix it up and go two up occasionally. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When you've got someone like Elliot and a guy as big and mobile as Gallagher why can't this einstien of a managers get that to gel somehow ?

I.e get your big striker in the middle and get a relentless string of balls aimed at him.

Because Gallagher can't hold it up. He has a poor touch and that's if he gets to the ball ahead of the defender. It comes straight back. We needed a proper target man. Maybe Gallagher will develop this, but we need it now. 

He should have been put on a program to make him bigger and stronger, but I suppose if you are pin pointed as a flying winger, that wouldn't make sense to people either! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because Gallagher can't hold it up. He has a poor touch and that's if he gets to the ball ahead of the defender. It comes straight back. We needed a proper target man. Maybe Gallagher will develop this, but we need it now. 

He should have been put on a program to make him bigger and stronger, but I suppose if you are pin pointed as a flying winger, that wouldn't make sense to people either! 

I was thinking more whip balls in front of him try and get him attacking them.  Yeah iv'e seen better hold up play on Sunday pitches i don't think he'll ever get to grips with that.

Just keep thinking of PNE away last season and how for the first half he was used as he should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

When you've got someone like Elliot and a guy as big and mobile as Gallagher why can't this einstien of a managers get that to gel somehow ?

I.e get your big striker in the middle and get a relentless string of balls aimed at him.

Because he has his own views on how he wants to play him, he is stubnirn as a mule and no one can tell him different.  I think Gally iut wide also hurts Nyambes game when SG is on that side, he seems to stop Nyambe from bombing forwards.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Because he has his own views on how he wants to play him, he is stubnirn as a mule and no one can tell him different.  I think Gally iut wide also hurts Nyambes game when SG is on that side, he seems to stop Nyambe from bombing forwards.

It's blatantly obvious to anyone watching how it disrupts any flow and disjoints the team. He opens himself wide to critics with that repeated tactic that's why iv'e little sympathy for TM at times.

Poor tactic poor signing it really is that plain and simple and just because Gally often works hard that doesn't justify it.  We still struggle to score and we still lose games therefore it is not working.

43 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18958353.mowbray-set-venkys-talks-defender-deal-considered/

Won’t be a problem getting funds out of the owners, as they usually need ‘slowing down’, don’t they? 

Let's not rush it. Slow build. Journey till the end of time. 

• Like 1

Why not call Mulgrew back, would be the cheapest option and he is a regular for Fleetwood and would be match fit. Imagine Mulgrew and Dack back in the team along with Brereton and Travis. Mulgrew had a really good game in a 0-0 draw away to an attacking Porsmouth side.

Edited by neophox

On 19/12/2020 at 03:20, Mercer said:

Arguably, we need two centre halves!

Magloire and Carter, IMO, are just not going to make it.  Seems like Magloire struggling to get a game anywhere and Carter is all over the place in our 1st team.

Nyambe could fill in at a pinch but he is far and away our best right back by a country mile.

I have been very disappointed with Douglas - IMO, he's washed up and even less effective than Bell.  As for Trybull, IMO, no improvement on either Evans or Smallwood and little wonder Norwich want rid.

Trybull played really well against Stoke.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, neophox said:

Why not call Mulgrew back, would be the cheapest option and he is a regular for Fleetwood and would be match fit. Imagine Mulgrew and Dack back in the team along with Brereton and Travis. Mulgrew had a really good game in a 0-0 draw away to an attacking Porsmouth side.

Probably because we saw his last few performances for us and he was terrible....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prelude said:

Man Utd are trying to loan out Phil Jones and apparently willing to pay most of his wages. Gotta be worth an enquiry at least? 

In two minds here-----talented beyond belief as a youngster, but left us at a terrible time, never fulfilled his potential at Manure, eternally injured and we have enough of them.

Would be interested to see how it worked out but can't warm to it somehow.

Think he'll want Premier league anyway.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 47er said:

In two minds here-----talented beyond belief as a youngster, but left us at a terrible time, never fulfilled his potential at Manure, eternally injured and we have enough of them.

Would be interested to see how it worked out but can't warm to it somehow.

Think he'll want Premier league anyway.

Local and would fit for him personally.   Rovers fan....Mowbray hasn't got the balls.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

Doubt there's any chance of that after Mulgrew showed his annoyance at the club's management on social media.

We can't rely upon Ayala staying injury-free, although he's supposed to return for Saturday's game. It sounds as though both Williams and Wharton will be sidelined well into January, so an early loan for a central defender would be ideal.

Wharton is out for the season and Williams is out for a few months. 

Wouldn't expect Williams to be back anytime soon or to stay fit for any reasonable period of time either.

Without question we need another centre back, might end up with a loan, which is fine but in the summer it needs some serious work.

Edited by davulsukur

2 hours ago, neophox said:

I don't think Mulgrew sees things on the pitch the same way Mowbray does. He's also very popular in the dressing room allegedly.

Dangerous turf for a floundering manger that. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 13:32, tomphil said:

Yup. Rocket science it isnt. 

Has anyone actually asked Mowbray, "This Gallagher on the wing nonsense- wtf?" I wonder what his response would be if challenged directly about this weird blind-soot everyone else seems able to see, but not the bloke picking the team..

giphy.gif

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Clueless, they call me clueless...
  • Like 3