BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Never heard of him but bloody hell. The Rochdale Mbappe!

Kwadwo Baah's double against Charlton | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Watching Mbappe against Lorient would suggest the lad's not really very good.  I know that was a below par performance but he was very poor in that match.

22 minutes ago, Dreyski said:

King likely to move to Everton. Fee projected at up to £5m. Will we find out what the sell on clause is?

Did Bournemouth not reject significantly more than that from Man United a year or so ago? Gutting for us and them! 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well the manager would need to say 'i didn't sign that player somebody else did', that'll never happen. Besides how much input do the recruitment dept have in matches or day to day training once they've got the manager what he says he needs ?

It's his job to get a tune out of the now higher grade bits of the jigsaw he's being given. If he can't what do they do sack the recruitment dept or him ?

🤣🤣 please refer to my point last week about the manager not being able to win.

It’s as simple as this surely. Either, the buck stops with the manager or it doesn’t. I’m pretty sure Sir Alex Ferguson didn’t find Ronaldo, nor did he recommend Barthez...but he took the plaudits AND criticisms for both. The responsibility of signing and playing players to create a winning side is the managers. If the players are terrible then it’s the managers fault...clubs don’t sack recruiters they sack managers.

Im sorry, but you cannot have this both ways. Whichever way you paint it, that’s exactly what you’re trying to do in a tip toe typa way!! 

• Like 3

I've had 2 City fans ring me today independently, telling me we've signed a cracking player in Harwood - Bellis. 

He's tricky, fast and not afraid to put his foot in where it hurts. (Box to box midfielder) in my dreams, he's a centre back.

Here's hoping!.....

Edited by darrenrover

8 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Alan Myers won't tell. 

Alan Myers doesn't even seem to recall the fee King initially sold for though. I'm certain 2.5 million was never mentioned at the time. Unless it was that high and the reports were wrong or clauses took it up. Fairly sure it was in the 1.5 mill region according to press at the time. Unless my memory is just worse than his.

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

🤣🤣 please refer to my point last week about the manager not being able to win.

It’s as simple as this surely. Either, the buck stops with the manager or it doesn’t. I’m pretty sure Sir Alex Ferguson didn’t find Ronaldo, nor did he recommend Barthez...but he took the plaudits AND criticisms for both. The responsibility of signing and playing players to create a winning side is the managers. If the players are terrible then it’s the managers fault...clubs don’t sack recruiters they sack managers.

Im sorry, but you cannot have this both ways. Whichever way you paint it, that’s exactly what you’re trying to do in a tip toe typa way!! 

At least i don't tip toe back and forth on the manager issue like you. You're legendary for it one week dropping on your knees next week getting the knife ready for his back 🤣

And as you should know by now i don't tip toe round anything. The man himself has gone to the trouble quite a few times of thanking his recruitment dept. That obviously goes over the heads of the handful who want to paint him as some kind of messiah.

So in reality i'm just picking up on what he's said himself and naturally assuming that the better tools he's being given now should result in a bit more consistency.

That is where the buck stops with him and ANY other manager. Quite why you have to try and paint Mowbray as some unique case i'll never know.  Still at least he knows your knife is back in the drawer.....for now.

Edited by tomphil

8 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I've had 2 City fans ring me today independently, telling me we've signed a cracking player in Harwood - Bellis. 

He's tricky, fast and not afraid to put his foot in where it hurts. (Box to box midfielder) in my dreams, he's a centre back.

Here's hoping!.....

You can't have too many 'tricky' Centre Backs! Those City fans  know their  stuff😉

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

At least i don't tip toe back and forth on the manager issue like you. You're legendary for it one week dropping on your knees next week getting the knife ready for his back 🤣

And as you should know by now i don't tip toe round anything. The man himself has gone to the trouble quite a few times of thanking his recruitment dept. That obviously goes over the heads of the handful who want to paint him as some kind of messiah.

So in reality i'm just picking up on what he's said himself and naturally assuming that the better tools he's being given now should result in a bit more consistency.

That is where the buck stops with him and ANY other manager. Quite why you have to try and paint Mowbray as some unique case i'll never know.  Still at least he knows your knife is back in the drawer.....for now.

TM is unique though---no manager has ever been less accountable for results than this bloke.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

awww...you're upset by the tip toeing comment? 

My stance never changes. Ever. If we don’t get in the top 6 then he has failed and my feeling is that he has to go. That’s it. No tip toeing, no crying and certainly no back tracking...at the end of December we were probably a couple of results away from being out of the top 6 race completely and I felt that we may need a change purely because I didn’t think he would be able to meet his goal. He’s proved me wrong...so far.

In terms of Mowbray praising his recruitment team. THATS WHAT LEADERS DO! 🙈....the buck stops with the manager mate. The end. We all know that.

So either you’re completely behind the door when it comes to football, life and leadership, or you’re tip toeing yourself into a position where you can still beat the manager mercilessly in spite of some really good signings because “he never signed em anyway”. I would suggest it’s the latter 😉

Next you’ll be telling us it was you / the fans who saw the potential in Trav and Mowbray would never have picked him!! 🤣🤣...ohhh wait...😬

Edited by Paul Mani

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

awww...you're upset by the tip toeing comment? 

My stance never changes. Ever. If we don’t get in the top 6 then he has failed and my feeling is that he has to go. That’s it. No tip toeing, no crying and certainly no back tracking...at the end of December we were probably a couple of results away from being out of the top 6 race completely and I felt that we may need a change purely because I didn’t think he would be able to meet his goal. He’s proved me wrong...so far.

In terms of Mowbray praising his team. THATS WHAT LEADERS DO! 🙈....the buck stops with the manager mate. The end. We all know that.

So either you’re completely behind the door when it comes to football, life and leadership, or you’re tip toeing yourself into a position where you can still beat the manager mercilessly in spite of some really good signings because “he never signed em anyway”. I would suggest it’s the latte 😉

Next you’ll be telling us it was you / the fans who saw the potential in Trav and Mowbray would never have picked him!! 🤣🤣...ohhh wait...😬

Give over you were crowing about the top 2 quite forcefully earlier in the season. He was your messiah again but now the bleepers are going off loud and clear and you've reversed to top 6 mode 🤣

My position has never changed i said last mid season please change in summer we need new ideas on the pitch. Said exactly the same this time but of course last summers window gets us excited and now this one again.

However we all know we'll see the same things going round in circles, some things he can do nothing about. Other things are ingrained in his dna and are his go to methods and always have been, all the evidence is out there.

So i'll remain where i am thanks and still say barring a miracle we need to change in summer.  You'll be on again before seasons end trumpeting he's done enough to warrant the summer window. 10 games next season, christmas etc and claiming we'll be in the top 2.

Some of us learn quickly others don't i takes a while for pennies to drop. You might be better off hiding behind a door than making an ass of yourself claiming leadership then going down blind alleys. After a while nobody follows anymore 😏

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Give over you were crowing about the top 2 quite forcefully earlier in the season. He was your messiah again but now the bleepers are going off loud and clear and you've reversed to top 6 mode 🤣

My position has never changed i said last mid season please change in summer we need new ideas on the pitch. Said exactly the same this time but of course last summers window gets us excited and now this one again.

However we all know we'll see the same things going round in circles, some things he can do nothing about. Other things are ingrained in his dna and are his go to methods and always have been, all the evidence is out there.

So i'll remain where i am thanks and still say barring a miracle we need to change in summer.  You'll be on again before seasons end trumpeting he's done enough to warrant the summer window. 10 games next season, christmas etc and claiming we'll be in the top 2.

Some of us learn quickly others don't i takes a while for pennies to drop. You might be better off hiding behind a door than making an ass of yourself claiming leadership then going down blind alleys. After a while nobody follows anymore 😏

You can change all the soloists in the orchestra if you like but if the conductor isn't up to the job the music will never sound right.

I've said it before but I was underwhelmed by the standard of football on show when we got promoted. I would have made a change then. Nothing I've seen since has caused me reconsider that opinion. Yes we have better players, but the overall standard of play hasn't improved much at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Alan Myers doesn't even seem to recall the fee King initially sold for though. I'm certain 2.5 million was never mentioned at the time. Unless it was that high and the reports were wrong or clauses took it up. Fairly sure it was in the 1.5 mill region according to press at the time. Unless my memory is just worse than his.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13504724.blackburn-rovers-waiting-work-permit-kim-bo-kyung-netting-initial-1-5m-josh-king/

LT at the time reported the agreement as an initial £1.5m, potentially rising to £2m. Considering how King did at Bournemouth, and his continued appearances for Norway, it's probably fair to assume we got close to £2m in the end.

For other out-of-contract comparators, Hoilett's Bosman was 'up to' £4m (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19750830) and Mahoney was £425k, potentially rising to £925k with appearances, plus £250k if he makes an England appearance (ha), and 20% of any profit (so we got another £135k when he went to Millwall for £1.1m)  (https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/rovers-to-receive-fee-for-mahoney/)

King sits in the middle of those two, so sounds about right to me for at the time. (King was quite despised by some supporters before that FA Cup hat-trick...) That was also 5 (!) years ago now, so prices weren't quite as inflated then as they can be now (pre-Covid of course...)

I was resigned to getting nothing extra for King, so another £500k or so is a nice little last second bonus. May be a bit of a 'drop in the bucket' considering our overall losses, but could be part of the difference in having to sell off a player next year vs the year after...

10 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13504724.blackburn-rovers-waiting-work-permit-kim-bo-kyung-netting-initial-1-5m-josh-king/

LT at the time reported the agreement as an initial £1.5m, potentially rising to £2m. Considering how King did at Bournemouth, and his continued appearances for Norway, it's probably fair to assume we got close to £2m in the end.

For other out-of-contract comparators, Hoilett's Bosman was 'up to' £4m (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19750830) and Mahoney was £425k, potentially rising to £925k with appearances, plus £250k if he makes an England appearance (ha), and 20% of any profit (so we got another £135k when he went to Millwall for £1.1m)  (https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/rovers-to-receive-fee-for-mahoney/)

King sits in the middle of those two, so sounds about right to me for at the time. (King was quite despised by some supporters before that FA Cup hat-trick...) That was also 5 (!) years ago now, so prices weren't quite as inflated then as they can be now (pre-Covid of course...)

I was resigned to getting nothing extra for King, so another £500k or so is a nice little last second bonus. May be a bit of a 'drop in the bucket' considering our overall losses, but could be part of the difference in having to sell off a player next year vs the year after...

Maybe they can put it towards the pitch in the summer.