BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - Saturday 5.12.20

Said earlier in the thread that Holtby has become less effective due to the opposition pressing the defence and blocking the ball into midfield.

I feel today Brentford will play their own game and not just try to nullify us as the onus is on them to dictate meaning we'll get more space. Without Holtby we'll struggle to dictate any play and I'm calling it now that we're going to struggle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

Apart from Wednesday when he came on and played excellently including having a hand in creating the winning goal?

Come on. He kicked it 5 yards to someone.  He didn't play as you suggest, he was knocked off  the ball twice in the time he was on and passed backwards or sideways for the majority of the time he was on.  Not sure why he's getting a special pass really.  I know tonnes of better players 17/18/19  years old that are way ahead of him.  His physicality is a problem too in this league. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I would disagree that he played excellently, I thought he look a bit lost.

There does seem to be a big divergence of opinion on Buckley. I generally like what I see most of the time and on the Millwall thread there were another couple of posters who agreed with me and a couple with you. What can’t really be argued was his play in the winning goal move.

Big call bringing Wharton back. A few on here completely ruled the possibility of that out, I think the line was "that's Wharton gone now". Anyone prepared to put their hands up and say they got that call wrong? Mowbray favouring youth again. 

Need a big game from Johnson. I'm not too bothered about Holtby, he looks to be struggling physically with so many games. I imagine Trybull and Johnson will hold the middle,giving Rothwell licence to run at them. 

2-2 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not happy with the midfield either. Could be another game lost in team selection.

What could he do with Holtby clearly struggling to maintain his levels? He put a pic on Instagram the other day of him having 4 back to back cryo sessions to help him recover. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley tends to look well off it whenever he plays aside from when he has come on v 10 men in games we have already been in comfortable leads.

Even if Downing could play an hour and then we could make a decision from there, if we are losing or drawing we could bring on Holtby or if we were winning we could add a second defensive player.

Ayala did look very rusty and the Wharton recall seems fair to me, although I suppose Ayala could argue that the only way the rust will go is if he plays regularly.

Was Buckley playing against ten men v QPR?As he didn't look lost in that game .

Disagree he looked lost the other night,he did ok.

He is a young player finding his feet in the division but he can pick out a forward pass and keeps the ball moving.Would have given him a start today if Holtby was to be rested.

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Come on. He kicked it 5 yards to someone.  He didn't play as you suggest, he was knocked off  the ball twice in the time he was on and passed backwards or sideways for the majority of the time he was on.  Not sure why he's getting a special pass really.  I know tonnes of better players 17/18/19  years old that are way ahead of him.  His physicality is a problem too in this league. 

I’m sorry Sparks but you keep saying that. At this level what 17/18/19 years old are there that are passing like he is? 

He wasn’t spectacular when he came on but he had a better time of it than you’re making out. 

You told us Mols was better. He’s mincing it in the Spanish lower leagues now. I think Buckley has a a better player than you make out. 

I think we've looked a worse team with 2 DMs playing, but against one of the better sides in Brentford it might be sensible. Today is all about the 3 points, so if we can keep control of possession and nick a 1-0 win I would be very happy.

We have dropped too many points against the teams challenging for promotion. Now that we're on a good run, it's vital for us to pick up some points in the next 2 games against promotion rivals. 

27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Might be in a minority here, but I quite like that side... More steel in midfield to contain and frustrate them (so long as it works!)

Got options on the bench for later too.

I don't like playing Trybull and Johnson together. Neither is creative enough.