BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City v Rovers. Wed 9th Dec. 7.45pm

Next up is Bristol City at Ashton Gate.

Can The Rovers extend their unbeaten streak in another tough encounter?

We've played pretty well there in recent seasons and if on the front foot, there's no reason why we can't come away with 3 points.

Our defensive line up should prove interesting to say the least.

I haven't looked at other teams' fixtures this week but theoretically, if we follow a win here by beating Norwich on Saturday, we could be top on Saturday night! Unlikely I know but time for a nose bleed?!

Edited by darrenrover

I am very much looking forward to this match as after Brentford we should be confident. Nyambe should slot in, alongside Ayala, even if William's is fit. I see little point in risking our Irish man as he is injury prone and we need him for the December games. Result wise I'm going for a win for Rovers and us to finally take our place in the top 6.

The key here for us is who is fit and who isn’t...I can see maybe Dolan and Holtby coming in for Elliott and Johnson to have a rest.

Im not sure on the Douglas knock but hopefully he’s fit? Otherwise it’s looking like Nyambe, Ayala, Williams and Bell. The first three would arguably be a lot of fans first choice considering the brilliant form of Williams and inconsistency of DL.

So let’s go there and get them beat. Coyb 

• J*B pinned this topic

It is getting to the point Williams is a better bet than Lenihen although iv'e always felt we are still another proper center half short.

Another tough game but with Rovers these days it's all about how we set up and the approach. It's always better when the focus seems to be on us rather than the opposition. Get out and meet them head on again and with 11 on the pitch and hopefully the other side having the same instead of an extra man in black we should get something.

2 - 2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

I am very much looking forward to this match as after Brentford we should be confident. Nyambe should slot in, alongside Ayala, even if William's is fit. I see little point in risking our Irish man as he is injury prone and we need him for the December games. Result wise I'm going for a win for Rovers and us to finally take our place in the top 6.

If Williams is fit, which is unlikely given that he hasn’t featured for some time, he should play so Nyambe can stay at right back, a position we are fast running out of options. I can’t see Mowbray bringing in an U23’s player but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

If Williams is fit, which is unlikely given that he hasn’t featured for some time, he should play so Nyambe can stay at right back, a position we are fast running out of options. I can’t see Mowbray bringing in an U23’s player but you never know. 

I noticed that Dan Pike from the U23 squad has been given a squad number over the weekend so you just never know.

Hate to be negative considering the recent results and the fight the lads have shown over the last week or so, but you do have to wonder if this one will be a game too far for us with the injuries piling up.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Daniel Pike also posted a rare tweet yesterday, a picture of him with a fist pump emoji.

I'm expecting him to be involved in some capacity on Wednesday night, no complaints from me. I've been very impressed with all of our recent academy graduates so worth seeing what he can do.

36 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Is there any indication we are actually appealing Lenihans red.

They won't appeal it - appeals rarely succeed unless there is absolute and clear evidence (like mistaken identity or something). In this scenario the best outcome they might get would be a reduction to a yellow, but that would still mean he would have been sent off and suspended for one game.

Edited by TonyM

Following Mowbray's substitutions and omissions on Saturday, I think appearances for Trybull, Armstrong and Rothwell are certain plus (if fit) Douglas and Holtby.

Bristol City have injuries but unlike us have been moaning loudly about them so to a certain extent, quite a bit will depend on who is available for them. That said, I saw some of their win at Nottingham Forest when they were in the top two early in the season and nothing stood out about them. 

They have a similar record to us in losing to clubs in the top 6 and beating the rest until Birmingham did for them on Saturday.

I saw more than half of Reading 3 Bristol City 1 and they were easily outclassed by Reading (as were we if we are honest) and Birmingham's win on Saturday was much more comfortable than the 0-1 scoreline suggests.

Pretty well irrespective of which players we can put on the pitch, I will be disappointed if we don't win this one. Davenport must be getting close to having earned a start.

Injuries a massive issue. If Williams is fit I would go 

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Ayala.    Williams.   Douglas.

Holtby.     Johnson.  Rothwell

Gallagher.   Armstrong.   Dolan.

I think Elliott struggled in the false 9 role.

But to be honest any of Pike, Bell, Elliott, Trybull, Davenport, Buckley could start. Will just come down to whose fittest....

Bracing myself for another injury to Ayala and/or Nyambe. Then we are really up sh*t creek.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Injuries a massive issue. If Williams is fit I would go 

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Ayala.    Williams.   Douglas.

Holtby.     Johnson.  Rothwell

Gallagher.   Armstrong.   Dolan.

I think Elliott struggled in the false 9 role.

But to be honest any of Pike, Bell, Elliott, Trybull, Davenport, Buckley could start. Will just come down to whose fittest....

Bracing myself for another injury to Ayala and/or Nyambe. Then we are really up sh*t creek.

I'd personally have Trybull in there in front of Johnson. Should be fresher, and I'm pretty sure he won't be able to play against Norwich, so better off giving Johnson a rest and save him for the weekend.

Other than that, I'd go with the same team. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, TonyM said:

They won't appeal it - appeals rarely succeed unless there is absolute and clear evidence (like mistaken identity or something). In this scenario the best outcome they might get would be a reduction to a yellow, but that would still mean he would have been sent off and suspended for one game.

Pretty sure they can't do that. They can't not overturn a red on the basis it would have been a second yellow.

They have to look at the incident in isolation and consider if the 'offence' (I'm not even sure it was that) was worthy of a straight red card. Yellow doesn't come into the equation. It's either a red or nothing.

I will be very disappointed if Rovers don't even bother to appeal. If that appeal fails then so be it but given the situation we are in with people missing and the debatable nature of the incident it has to at least be appealed and cannot be suggested that it is frivolous.

• Like 2

Another difficult game on paper. Rovers will be on a high after Saturday it was a fabulous point to take in the circumstances. Bristol are a dangerous team but are also at times a disorganised rabble. Inconsistent at times, Rovers will have more time and space and just need to be patient. Will gladly take a point but 3 would be a fabulous return.

Edited by 1864roverite

This would be the game in our run I'd be disappointed not to get three points with. let's be honest, Bristol aren't that good. Like us previously they seem to bottle it a lot when near playoffs, and there squad isn't that great, so a win should be on the cards. Certainly if we want to get promoted it's the type of game we should be winning. 

Of course our paper thin defence is the big issue. I do wonder is there any out of contract centre backs who may be worth a punt? We look desperately short across the back line. For all those championing Williams - and I admit he has had some good games of late - he's an inconsistent chap, even at centre back, and has had some poor games as well as some excellent ones. I'm also worried about how long it will take to get up to speed after another injury. Just look at the difference between Ayala at the weekend and on Wednesday. As for full backs, Bell isn't that great at all, so if Douglas not fit would be tempted to slot Downing there, and if there's no Nayambe I've no idea who best for right back. A tallest dwarf situation if ever there was one. 

The hope is our attacking prowess is enough to see off Bristol. They have problems too, and confidence must be sky high at Rovers after the last few weeks. So it won't be easy, given the situation, but we should get the win.    

I think talent wise, we should be winning this. More and more however its concerning of our injuries but also fatigue. Hopefully Holtby having a rest at the weekend will help. He looked jaded against Milwall. 

Think it will be another scrapper. Id take horrible 1-0s until we get a full squad back. 

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think he means Ayala is the cart horse and the other three played in our League One promotion team.

Ah - the same logic that has Jamie Vardy as a National League striker.

Those three are top half Championship defenders at least and we all know it.

We’ll be fine.

Edited by S8 & Blue

59 minutes ago, Clitheroe said:

I don't pay that much attention to other teams in the league... are we the only ones bemoaning the amount of injuries. Or is this a common theme for every team this year?

The injuries are widespread, take our 2 opponents this week, Bristol City are missing Kalas, Mawson and Sessegnon in defence as well as Walsh, Williams and Weimann. Norwich have got the most injuries in the league. Par for the course this season.