BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which Rovers manager would you have most liked to have played for?

Going back to Jack Marshall, he wasn't a genius in moving Pickering to centre forward or turning Andy McEvoy into a prolific goal scorer. Both were purely accidental.

Right full back Pickering got badly injured during a game. He could still move about but would be useless at full back. Having no substitutes in those days he was put up front for "nuisance value" and headed two goals.

Probably in another (later) game, one of our inside forwards couldn't play through injury. McEvoy, the very mediocre wing half, was picked at inside right because there would have been nobody else. He was Mr Utility Man. The supporters, and probably McEvoy himself, were amazed how easy it was for him to slot the ball into the net time after time.

So now we had by accident a prolific scoring centre forward who was tall, strong, could use both feet and could head a ball and a goal poacher slotting home the knock-downs. A fabulous combination that came together by luck and that was recognised by Jolly Jack Marshall.

• Like 1

Don Mackay.

One day you're a jobbing division two player fighting relegation, next news you're going to Wembley (twice), welcoming Steve Archibald from Barcelona, going on  21-match unbeaten league run (still remember the end of that coming at the Victoria Ground of Stoke City) before sitting next to a World Cup winner from less than a decade beforehand in Ossie Ardiles!

Those days were like a micro budget version of what would happen in the 90s...swap premier league challenges with second division fights, swap the league cup for the full members, swap Walker's millions for a few pennies and coppers!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Jim Iley? Go on I've bit.

Haha! It was more because of the way the club was run back then; training in Pleasington, Tony Parkes with his 3 bed semi opposite Station Garage in Feniscowles, John Bailey stopping off for fuel (at Station Garage where I was working pumping petrol) on his way home from a Saturday game (in his Vauxhall Firenza no less, a less frenetic but no less passionate feeling about the game... 

Jim Iley because his name was the only manager's moniker that I ever heard my dad sing (probably 'cause I didn't often stand on t'Riverside with t'folks) and Bobby Saxton because he seemed to come from another age with his swarthy looks and broad sideburns...

And, under either manager I'd have had the pleasure of playing alongside players of the calibre of Faz, Meccy, Noel, Kevin Hird, John Bailey, possibly Sir Roger Jones and the like.'

Course most of the football was atrocious and the prospects of glory quite remote.. as one wag at the time put it, "And Blackburn Rovers take to the field, at the start of their annual battle against promotion...!"

19 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Haha! It was more because of the way the club was run back then; training in Pleasington, Tony Parkes with his 3 bed semi opposite Station Garage in Feniscowles, John Bailey stopping off for fuel (at Station Garage where I was working pumping petrol) on his way home from a Saturday game (in his Vauxhall Firenza no less, a less frenetic but no less passionate feeling about the game... 

Jim Iley because his name was the only manager's moniker that I ever heard my dad sing (probably 'cause I didn't often stand on t'Riverside with t'folks) and Bobby Saxton because he seemed to come from another age with his swarthy looks and broad sideburns...

And, under either manager I'd have had the pleasure of playing alongside players of the calibre of Faz, Meccy, Noel, Kevin Hird, John Bailey, possibly Sir Roger Jones and the like.'

Course most of the football was atrocious and the prospects of glory quite remote.. as one wag at the time put it, "And Blackburn Rovers take to the field, at the start of their annual battle against promotion...!"

Think Jim I let lasted about four months or so. Bobby Saxton had some entertaining sides but also suffered some heavy away defeats with space exploited left by Hird and Bailey stranded upfield when moves broke down

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 18:28, darrenrover said:

You too, thanks, enjoyed the 'chat'.

Move your cursor to hover to the right of the thumbs up icon, bottom right hand corner and up pops the thumbs up/like button.

Let's get into The Robins from the off, aggressive, on the front foot from the first minute and maintain it.

Do so, the 3 points will be ours, of that I've no doubt whatsoever.

COYB!!

Hi Darren.  Somewhat off topic so apologies.

I was reading an article earlier today and was reminded of something you quoted earlier in the thread, the 1928 cup final.

The article was about Alfred Wainwright who was/is famous for writing books about walks or rambles in the Lake District.  During one of his walks, he was joined by a reporter or colleague and on a beautiful day and as they were taking in the view as they were taking a rest, the reporter asked Wainwright if he was able to which piece of land would he take home with him?  The reporter was expecting the answer striding edge or some such famous place in the lakes but was totally surprised when Wainwright answered the centre spot from Ewood park.

Wainwright also mentioned that the finest team that he had ever seen was the Rovers side of 1928,  hence me thinking about what you had said.

I was wondering if your dad via your grandad could remember or said anything about this?

Anyone reading the thread expecting to find out which manager we would have liked to have played under, many apologies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Hi Darren.  Somewhat off topic so apologies.

I was reading an article earlier today and was reminded of something you quoted earlier in the thread, the 1928 cup final.

The article was about Alfred Wainwright who was/is famous for writing books about walks or rambles in the Lake District.  During one of his walks, he was joined by a reporter or colleague and on a beautiful day and as they were taking in the view as they were taking a rest, the reporter asked Wainwright if he was able to which piece of land would he take home with him?  The reporter was expecting the answer striding edge or some such famous place in the lakes but was totally surprised when Wainwright answered the centre spot from Ewood park.

Wainwright also mentioned that the finest team that he had ever seen was the Rovers side of 1928,  hence me thinking about what you had said.

I was wondering if your dad via your grandad could remember or said anything about this?

Anyone reading the thread expecting to find out which manager we would have liked to have played under, many apologies.

I'll be speaking to my Dad tomorrow lunch time, pre-match, so I'll mention it. I know my Grandad went down to London on a special train from Blackburn the day before the Final and came back the day after. He was 18 years old then, worked for GPO in telecommunications but was still considered a minor, as you came of age then at 21. I know my Grandad would say unequivocally (as would my Dad), that the best team he ever saw was the one of the early sixties with Ronnie, Duggie, Noddy, Vernon and the rest. He never mentioned the 1928 side as being anything special but recounts with pride Duggie leaving " everyone on their arses after droppin' 'is shewder an' swervin' a time or two". He often recalled fans being rolled overhead to the front and over the wall, when they'd passed out in the vast crowds at Ewood and being 'up in the rafters' at Maine Road for one FA Cup Semi-Final.

I've dug out my memorabilia relating to the 1928 Cup Final and will post it in the nostalgia thread over the next few days when I get a minute. I'll need to put it in some sort of order regarding photographing or scanning though. Programme and ticket is easy enough but the newspaper is broadsheet and complete, not just cuttings.

I'll keep you posted

On 10/12/2020 at 16:39, Ulrich said:

You must be one shocking soccer player. 

For me it, is an easy choice Dalglish, as then I would have a Premier league winners medal 🥇🤣🤣

It's football, never "soccer"

Who would I like to have played for? 

I'd love to have been one of "Marshall's Misfits" and line up alongside Duggie, Sir Keith, Ronnie, Big Mike  Andy Mac and Fred. The best Rovers team I ever saw. 

• Like 2

Well having watched Rovers since the days of Dally Duncan I have to say I would most liked to have played in a Marshall’s Misfits team. Only because, just like Jim, it would have meant playing alongside my hero’s. I think maybe the players you first regarded as the best in your youth remain the best ever, regardless as what comes after. 
Howard Kendal must have been some manager though. That shines through in a documentary on Shy called “Howard’s Way” which covers his time at Everton, with interviews with many ex players including John Bailey. Well worth a watch.

• Backroom

I'd pick Hughes. Cutting his teeth in league management with us, the evolution of style was rapid over 3-4 years, and some of my highlights as a fan came under Sparky.

First match abroad, the FA Semi at Old Trafford, being there for both matches in the double over Utd, and of course THAT CHANT.

Go left, go leeeeeft...

• Like 1

There can be only one, the King, Kenny Dalglish.

It would then be down to Don Mackay, he was unlucky not to get us promoted two years prior to Dalglish, having met him he was another lovely Scottish guy at the club.

After that probably Souness, then Hughes, just because of their attitudes and will to win.

On 13/12/2020 at 17:24, Ossydave said:

Souness remains my favourite manager in my time, can't think of many managers in the game currently with his no nonsense approach, a sign of the times sadly, he'd probably get reported to the FA for bullying or something now.

To be fair...didn't he purposely smash into Dwight Yorke in training after threatening to break his leg? Pretty sure that was backed up by other players. With Souness it seemed to be a great place to be when it was going well, but bloody awful once the results started turning. 

He got us promotion, into Europe twice and won us our only League Cup. If he'd left in the summer of 2003, we'd argue whether him or Dalglish was the best. King Kenny had timing though, left at the pinnacle. Knew how to make an exit, did Kenny. 

12 hours ago, renrag said:

I’m not sure you’re right about Pickering Bazza.                                                                                                                                
My recollection is he came to the club as a centre forward and was converted to left back from where he captained the Youth Cup winning team. He progressed to the Central League and then made spasmodic first team games all at left back without breaking any pots. It was then decided to give him a run at centre forward in the reserves. He couldn’t stop scoring and it wasn’t long before he was doing the same for the first team.

I remember Dave Whelan getting injured when playing at right back against Preston. He was pushed up front and scored two goals when he could barely move

You could be right, Renrag. Memory plays tricks. I have been re-reading Harry Berry, "A Century of Soccer" 1975. He lists the youth cup winning team with Pickering at LEFT back, Mike England at right half and Keith Newton at centre half.  Griffith; Wells, Pickering; England, Newton, Leech; Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly, Mulvey.

He then goes on to say that McEvoy was brought to Rovers as an inside forward. I only remember McEvoy as a wing half deputising for Clayton or McGrath and not being very good. When he was put at inside forward alongside Pickering, Douglas, Harrison and Ferguson he became a brilliant goal poacher.

But there are other memories of mine that have been questioned of late. E.g. I distinctly remember Bill Holmes chasing a lost cause towards the Darwen End, stopping the ball and putting it back to the penalty spot for Alex Glover(?) to take ages before scoring. The film of this earlier in the Nostalgia thread showed it to be at the Blackburn End. If it was then maybe my dad had taken me into the riverside stand for the game instead of Nuttall Street.

It's horrible when you start questioning your own memories.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 1

A drinking buddy of mine was showing me his playing career  memorabilia a few years ago. One of the items was a little " Manchester " schoolboys V " Lancashire " schoolboys programme. Lancashire had an F. Pickering ( Blackburn ) playing on the right wing. This would be in the mid 1950's.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, renrag said:

Strange to think that the three players who went on to have top international careers, all started in different positions to where they made their names. Keith Newton actually began that cup run as an inside right, the centre half was a lad called Rimmer who played up to the semi final and then got injured. Newton was moved to centre half and Alan Bradshaw brought in at inside right.

When McEvoy first came over as a youngster he was so homesick that one day he just decided to catch a boat to Dublin. Johnny Carey had enough confidence in his ability that he went over to Ireland to persuade him to give it another go. Like you said, it was only after he had a spell filling in at wing half and then moving back up front that his goal scoring instincts developed.

PS don’t question your own memories - sometimes they’re better than reality

Quite right, the first really memorable goal I remember at Ewood, Ian Lawther's 25 yard shot that never went more than 6 inches above the turf all the way into the far corner of the Burnley goal in 1962, gets a yard further out every few years. It really was a peach of a goal.

22 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not a manager as such, but Jim Furnell was a great coach and managed the youth teams mid 80s/early 90s.  A lovely bloke and was always visible with his silver hair and big goalie height...he was responsible for a fair few careers in the game.

I remember him playing for Arsenal against Rovers at Ewood. Fred Pickering took a shot at goal from about 18 yards out,  but it was one of those shots were you kick the ground as well. It was bobbling along at no great speed but Jim went down on one knee to gather it. It somehow went right between his legs and came to a stop about a foot over the goal line. I was right behind the goals at the Blackburn End, almost leaning on the boundary wall. I had a perfect view.

• Like 1