BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Social Media - discuss

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm still interested in watches but I'm not buying much at the moment. I got rid of a couple of nice watches a year or two back just before " Rolex " prices started going through the roof and I'm still pissed off about it. One was a " Thunderbird ", they're as rare as hens teeth. When you qualify as a pilot with " The Thunderbirds " ( The USAF version of The Red Arrows ) they give you one of these !  Mistakes I have made No 397.

Thats a bugger! I've still got mine, so the fact the prices are escalating is music to my ears! We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, all except ToMo!

5 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Thats a bugger! I've still got mine, so the fact the prices are escalating is music to my ears! We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, all except ToMo!

The prices for " Rolex " are crazy. The pound collapsing against the Swiss franc and the way " Rolex " think nothing of putting the price up in leaps and bounds has driven the value of them up. A watch I paid £1750 for about 10 years ago I could get £7,500 for now.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The prices for " Rolex " are crazy. The pound collapsing against the Swiss franc and the way " Rolex " think nothing of putting the price up in leaps and bounds has driven the value of them up. A watch I paid £1750 for about 10 years ago I could get £7,500 for now.

Christ, Where do I look?

• 10 months later...

Maybe this social media stuff deserves it's own "Social Media Watch" thread.

Like all advert-based businesses, Facebook's primary goal is keeping users engaged. If they're driving a left wing user to Antifa content and a right wing user to QAnon content and encouraging users to be more in conflict with each other then all the better for Facebook and their coffers. That is where Facebook's moral duty of care starts and ends.

The problem for many Facebook users is their lives are so deeply entrenched in it that it would take effort, pain, and potential loss of friends to move away from it. Some can pull the plug without a fuss, but many feel they can't. Facebook can therefore afford multiple scandals whilst users turn a blind eye to them. That, to me, is the scariest part of companies like Facebook. It's not a monopoly on your money but a monopoly on your life.

Facebook counter this with schemes such as Project Amplify to shed themselves in good light whilst Zuckerberg continues being in denial about the impacts of his company. They'll continue expanding algorithms and experiments to keep users coming back to Facebook. As a reminder, Facebook used to be a place for connecting with friends and family. Today it's just a big old cesspit of spam for them to make money.

Here you go @El Tombro. I started one last year that didn't make it very far.

If anything the environment is worse than it was last year. It's not all bad as people have pointed out, but at what cost?

I was listening to a podcast about it all. One of the guests on it was talking about how Facebook's employees can help (of which Frances Haugen was one). Working at Facebook, certainly at HQ in California, is a badge of honour. They are very talented people in their field who also tend to be young, socially aware, and have a higher population immigrant minorities. Could more of them speak out? 

Another issue that was brought up is that posts that inflame tend to get lots of likes as the echo chambers that read them agree with it. The amount of likes throws off the content moderators, and amplifies the spread. A Qanon devotee isn't going to be fed left wing drivel and report it, and vice versa. 

I find it all odd, but I am in the minority. I have a friend who spends all day on it, gets all their news from it, and at least once a month comes out with something that doesn't sound true, and once I check I find that it is in fact a load of bull.

Zuckerberg had aspirations of running for president in 2020 and went so far as to go on a politician style tour of the US to gauge interest. It didn't last long. He soon found out that he wouldn't get very far.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:17, Gav said:

On a personal note I'd lose very little if they shut social media down tomorrow, I'd miss Jim, den, TS,  Philipl and 47er of course, and many more, but I'd cope 😃

oh yes and RoverDom 😉

• Backroom

“Jack and I were emailing each other prior to January 6 and I warned him that his platform was allowing a coup to be staged,” Harry told host Steven Levy on Tuesday.

“That email was sent the day before, then it happened I have not heard from him since.”

I hope Harry really does have the emails to back this up to the extent he claims. I would love to see Twitter take a beating. Slightly sceptical though, Harry seems somewhat imaginative in recent times. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Misinformation is the absolute killer of social media. Flat earthers, 5G and the main one at the moment, "The clot shot" (as how it was put to me the other week). I get lost down twitter rabbit holes on all those subjects. I wrote a tweet about Sergio Aguero retiring and how it was a shame he retired due to injury and someone commented on it saying "is that what they are calling the clot shot these days?" Absolutely nothing to do with SA or football but these anti vaxxers can't help themselves.

Follow @badvaccinetakes for some absolute pearlers. Someone genuinely tweeted that their friend turned gay after having the vaccine.

• Like 2

• Backroom

The sheer scale of people believing in conspiracy theories nowadays is frightening. There are a lot of people who no longer trust politicians, which is understandable, but it seems increasingly that scientists are being lumped into that same bracket. If you can't argue with somebody based on logic or evidence then you are truly at an impasse. I think a lot of it comes from modern society being a pretty bleak, soulless and unfulfilling construct with no obvious way to escape without going to extreme measures. I certainly understand it, but it's difficult to condone the way many go about promoting their views. Espousing increasingly meaningless conspiracy theories ("Q" started on 4chan, of all places) is not the way to enact genuine social change. Much deeper introspection required, and a lot less hate.

15 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Follow @badvaccinetakes for some absolute pearlers. Someone genuinely tweeted that their friend turned gay after having the vaccine.

Hah, reminds me of Chris-chan (an internet/YouTube meme from a long time ago). He was an unabashed homophobe and wrote a comic strip whereby his blood was used in a vaccine to turn people from gay to straight - because in his mind being gay was an illness. He became infuriated when it was pointed out that vaccines typically work by utilising examples of the illness, not the cure, so if his blood was a key ingredient then presumably it contained significant traces of the 'gay virus'. 

He later became a transgender-female identifying as a lesbian, so... yeah. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Facebook reported its quarterly earnings this week. They noted that for the first time ever Facebook's daily user numbers dropped. It was slight but it occurred. As a result their share price dropped 25% yesterday and old Zuckerberg became $31bn poorer.

Facebook shares drop - BBC

They certainly aren't struggling but I hope that the trend continues.

Facebook is an amazing story, and a hugely profitable business, but as far as I'm concerned it does more harm than good.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
forgot to add link
  • Like 1

I liked the novelty of Facebook when it first came out and you could facebook friend girls you met and have a gawk at their photos.  Since the false information era started on it and the brainwashing I now think its a force for evil.  I still use facebook so I am a hypocrite because I want to stay in contact with poeple in other countries.  Instagram is a platform I cannot stand and think its the most vacuous, vain, shallow site full of posers. It has allowed people to self indulge to no end their vanity. 

Snapchat I have never used but have seen others using it.  The most useless platform of them all.

• Backroom

Not even going to comment on the whole Canada convoy thing. It's a complex situation. 

But cops turning up at people's houses because of, i would assume, innocuous comments on a Facebook page is pretty scary to me.

Regardless of how much of a 'Karen' the camerawoman sound like. 

On 04/02/2022 at 16:56, speeeeeeedie said:

Facebook reported its quarterly earnings this week. They noted that for the first time ever Facebook's daily user numbers dropped. It was slight but it occurred. As a result their share price dropped 25% yesterday and old Zuckerberg became $31bn poorer.

Facebook shares drop - BBC

They certainly aren't struggling but I hope that the trend continues.

Facebook is an amazing story, and a hugely profitable business, but as far as I'm concerned it does more harm than good.

As much asi despise facecbook and (anti)social media in general... For small business owners like myself it does give you a platform to freely run and promote large parts of my business from, offering services that would be expensive and very time consuming to setup and run any other way 😞

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

As much asi despise facecbook and (anti)social media in general... For small business owners like myself it does give you a platform to freely run and promote large parts of my business from, offering services that would be expensive and very time consuming to setup and run any other way 😞

Have you actually done some analysis Armchair, has it brought in some decent leads that turned into business? 

A close relative owns his own landscaping business, struggles to get traction on social media, very little interest but that could be down to the garish colours on his site!!

I know / follow a couple of dog trainers who use social media as pretty much their sole source of advertising/ promotion. You've got to know how to use it, its not enough to just put a page up, you've got to keep putting content out and engage with your followers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Have you actually done some analysis Armchair, has it brought in some decent leads that turned into business? 

A close relative owns his own landscaping business, struggles to get traction on social media, very little interest but that could be down to the garish colours on his site!!

I've probably recieved over 50% of my long term regular clients via my Facebook business page and continue to get almost daily enquiries even though my books have been full for a long time and its been ages since I did any promotion, I still use the page daily though to keep clients (and casual followers) up to date with what has been going on

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I've probably recieved over 50% of my long term regular clients via my Facebook business page and continue to get almost daily enquiries even though my books have been full for a long time and its been ages since I did any promotion, I still use the page daily though to keep clients (and casual followers) up to date with what has been going on

Superb stuff, you've clearly got the sweet spot in terms of advertising, my relative clearly has not. 

• 1 month later...