BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Rotherham Utd. (h) Wed. 16th Dec. 7.45pm

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I think issues like how Mowbray reacts on the sidelines or enthusiastic he is in pre match interviews is completely overblown. There are far, far bigger issues.

Last night quietly demonstrated our strength in depth. Bringing Holtby, Downing and Trybull off the bench. I can’t imagine many sides in this division can do that. The 5-sub rule might start to really benefit us over Christmas.

Concerned by Douglas. Offering nothing more than Bell at present.

Its just as well we had strength in depth because the "1st eleven" were woeful. Maybe the selection was wrong?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Based on both players performances in a Rovers shirt so far I dont think there is a good left back between them and it looks by far our weakest position at the moment. It is a huge worry and a position Mowbray hasnt put much stock in. 

this

• Like 1

Yesterday all I could do was laugh, but today I might be able to muster up a bit of a summary.

The worst performance of the season for me. Our passing was tragic, there was no movement up front or in midfield. We passed the ball out of play a handful of times which only added to my ever growing frustration. The length of time it takes to make a throw in tells me they simply are not worked on in training. We should be zipping around when our player has the ball in his hands because it is a potentially very easy accurate pass that can be put on to a stronger foot, allowing for a first time pass forwards. It is basic football. A throw in is an opportunity to attack.

I thought Johnson held together a poor midfield. Was disappointed to see Rothwell come off for Downing but in hindsight it worked. Buckley had a poor game again - I think he is better suited to the bench and seeing the last 20 mins. Nyambe was by far our best player on the day and we need to sign him up immediately. He has to be the best right back in this division.

Ayala's passing is terrible. Lenihan was average. I can't say a single player actually caught my attention yesterday.

Armstrong flatters to deceive in my opinion. He turns and shoots far too often when there is an easier pass to be made. I would be absolutely lambasting the bloke if I was on the pitch but nobody seems to say anything to him. I admire the confidence, I really do, but please start to get some of these wild shots with your weaker foot on target!!!!!

All that said and done we got 3 pts so I will forget the performance by Saturday morning. Absolute robbery but who gives a monkeys - 4pts from play offs and we go again.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some would say its over rotation! 

I don't think, of any players, the front 3 look jaded. I don't think we can leave AA and Eliott out under any circumstances at the moment. Dolan should have gotten more time in place of Gallagher. WE need BB back. Gallagher has about 10% of BBs technical ability 

I think we've lacked energy (and movement) upfront the last few games. The schedule atm is brutal. If you watch the back 4 / midfield 3 they've clearly been frustrated at the lack of options to pass to recently - hence the aimless lumps upfield.

Brereton makes this formation tick - he holds up the ball, runs his socks off, beats a man with ease and brings teammates into the game. That said we need a Plan B.

Gallagher needs to be the understudy of Armstrong at #9 - neither can play out wide, it's like playing with 10 when they're out there. 

Mowbray needs to play Chapman and Dolan in place of Brereton until he's back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The last 20 minutes was our best period of play...

Still nothing of the level I havent this season in games in terms of pattern of play, movement of front 3 and tempo. We won. Delighted with 3 points. Performance not of the standard we wanted 

We missed Brereton on the left of his movement and pace in the games he missed

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

I half wonder if there was a level of arrogance or similar around the game and our preparation for it.

That Mowbray just expected us to go out and beat a side like Rotherham and that rubbed off on the players in their approach and once things started to go wrong we end up with Mowbray sulking and doing his head in hands routine and the players looking bereft of anything good.

I'm disappointed in his post match comments about the pitch.

It is a fact that we spend less than most clubs on the Ewood pitch and you only have to look at the overall attitude towards maintenance of our home that the pitch will be another area victim of cuts and a bare minimum attitude.

For Mowbray to use the pitch as an excuse is a joke considering the lack of investment there has been in it.

If he doesn't like it then he should be on the phone to India demanding it be prioritised at the end of the season and invested in properly to achieve a quality playing surface.

Until then an astute manager would adapt his tactics to cope with pitch issues rather than persist and then whinge about it.

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I think issues like how Mowbray reacts on the sidelines or enthusiastic he is in pre match interviews is completely overblown. There are far, far bigger issues.

Last night quietly demonstrated our strength in depth. Bringing Holtby, Downing and Trybull off the bench. I can’t imagine many sides in this division can do that. The 5-sub rule might start to really benefit us over Christmas.

I don't think people really care about or believe in the importance of touch line behaviour or pre/post-match interviews, it's just a convenient way to vent frustration. 

11 minutes ago, Commondore said:

I don't think people really care about or believe in the importance of touch line behaviour or pre/post-match interviews, it's just a convenient way to vent frustration. 

For all the good he does he'd be better off sitting in the stand. He'd get a better view of what's going wrong. All Rugby League coaches chose to sit in the stand and communicate with the bench via a walkie talkie. It seems to work of them. Our coach used to sit in the stand behind the posts, he reckoned that was the best view for Rugby. 

To be honest you could see the amount of games played has taken its toll on some of the players. They are knackered, downbeat and in need of a rest.

Thank god there is only 5 games in January with only 1 midweek game apart from the Fa cup match which for me we should simply rest everyone we can and okay our youth team.

Back to last night, it was utter rubbish at times, shite in others, disgraceful in parts with no plan and no ideas. Simply we take the points and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think we've lacked energy (and movement) upfront the last few games. The schedule atm is brutal. If you watch the back 4 / midfield 3 they've clearly been frustrated at the lack of options to pass to recently - hence the aimless lumps upfield.

Brereton makes this formation tick - he holds up the ball, runs his socks off, beats a man with ease and brings teammates into the game. That said we need a Plan B.

Gallagher needs to be the understudy of Armstrong at #9 - neither can play out wide, it's like playing with 10 when they're out there. 

Mowbray needs to play Chapman and Dolan in place of Brereton until he's back.

Who's Chapman? 

Joke, but is he even on the bench?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Delighted with the win and 3 points. 

Didnt see most of the game but we didnt look good at all in the last 20 mins. 

Good to get win even tho performance wasnt good enough

The last 20 minutes was our best period of the game.

You should have seen the first 70

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Your idea of the right team was to take off the player who had the assist for our first goal and then scored the winner.

At that point Armstrong had been our worst player ...... and he's been poor for several weeks now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Its just as well we had strength in depth because the "1st eleven" were woeful. Maybe the selection was wrong?

Maybe? Buckley should be sent on loan to League 1. How anyone can say he is good enough to start at this point is beyond me. 

Edit, maybe on loan is harsh, but he shouldn't start 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I half wonder if there was a level of arrogance or similar around the game and our preparation for it.

That Mowbray just expected us to go out and beat a side like Rotherham and that rubbed off on the players in their approach and once things started to go wrong we end up with Mowbray sulking and doing his head in hands routine and the players looking bereft of anything good.

I'm disappointed in his post match comments about the pitch.

It is a fact that we spend less than most clubs on the Ewood pitch and you only have to look at the overall attitude towards maintenance of our home that the pitch will be another area victim of cuts and a bare minimum attitude.

For Mowbray to use the pitch as an excuse is a joke considering the lack of investment there has been in it.

If he doesn't like it then he should be on the phone to India demanding it be prioritised at the end of the season and invested in properly to achieve a quality playing surface.

Until then an astute manager would adapt his tactics to cope with pitch issues rather than persist and then whinge about it.

I'm not sure if arrogance ,I mean Mowbray constantly bigs up the opposition. Too much in my opinion. 

Is it just his basic ability to give a rousing team talk? 

As for the pitch, absolute nonsense excuse, both teams play on the same one

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I thought it more demonstrated how Mowbray got the team selection hopelessly wrong.

Douglas was terrible. He doesn't look match fit and perhaps well past it for this league.

Stonker of a performance but biggest win all season - chance to reboot our campaign ahead of some key players returning in the coming weeks.  That result will bring in some much needed confidence ahead of a couple of tricky matches, i felt a draw or worse could have knock the belief out of us.  Relived too with Armstrong ending his good drought.  Bring on Stoke!

https://youtu.be/rZHjuWoPoCY

• Like 1

Buckley is obviously physically well off but it isnt just that, he doesnt appreciate the urgency of a game and often spends far too long on the ball.

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yesterday all I could do was laugh, but today I might be able to muster up a bit of a summary.

The worst performance of the season for me. Our passing was tragic, there was no movement up front or in midfield. We passed the ball out of play a handful of times which only added to my ever growing frustration. The length of time it takes to make a throw in tells me they simply are not worked on in training. We should be zipping around when our player has the ball in his hands because it is a potentially very easy accurate pass that can be put on to a stronger foot, allowing for a first time pass forwards. It is basic football. A throw in is an opportunity to attack.

I thought Johnson held together a poor midfield. Was disappointed to see Rothwell come off for Downing but in hindsight it worked. Buckley had a poor game again - I think he is better suited to the bench and seeing the last 20 mins. Nyambe was by far our best player on the day and we need to sign him up immediately. He has to be the best right back in this division.

Ayala's passing is terrible. Lenihan was average. I can't say a single player actually caught my attention yesterday.

Armstrong flatters to deceive in my opinion. He turns and shoots far too often when there is an easier pass to be made. I would be absolutely lambasting the bloke if I was on the pitch but nobody seems to say anything to him. I admire the confidence, I really do, but please start to get some of these wild shots with your weaker foot on target!!!!!

All that said and done we got 3 pts so I will forget the performance by Saturday morning. Absolute robbery but who gives a monkeys - 4pts from play offs and we go again.

Fair summary of the performance but Armstrong doesnt "flatter to deceive," he has scored 27 goals this year!

The best RB in the league is Max Aarons but we certainly do need Nyambe to stay.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley is obviously physically well off but it isnt just that, he doesnt appreciate the urgency of a game and often spends far too long on the ball.

Fair summary of the performance but Armstrong doesnt "flatter to deceive," he has scored 27 goals this year!

The best RB in the league is Max Aarons but we certainly do need Nyambe to stay.

No. The best RB in the league is Ryan Nyambe.