BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Rotherham Utd. (h) Wed. 16th Dec. 7.45pm

36 minutes ago, booth said:

I thought it more demonstrated how Mowbray got the team selection hopelessly wrong.

Douglas was terrible. He doesn't look match fit and perhaps well past it for this league.

Or....he needed to rest players and gambled....and just got away with it...

I think he had said Trybull wasn't fit. I think our players looked more tired than Rotherham, who did look knackered at the end. Not surprising, given all the energy, spent on pressing...

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

No. The best RB in the league is Ryan Nyambe.

I always look at like this - who would you rather play against ? I couldn't see a way of getting past Nyambe unless I got lucky.  Aarons might be better going forward and good on the eye but he's not as good a defender.  Nyambe is a formidable opponent in a one on one situation out wide.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wood26 said:

I am sure Mowbray is desperate to sign him on again, if he doesn’t it will be down to Venkys or the player, not Mowbray.

Not a bit of it. It's clearly a TM issue. He's been dropped.for Bennett, Caddis and JRC - two of whom have no right to be near the first 11. He's been called out for mistakes in public when defensive colleagues (Bennett and Muklgrew) have not been criticised at all. And he was even dropped at one point for - I forget the exact quote - playing a lot of games. None of which suggests TM values him whatsoever. 

As for the game where to start. Terrible performance by all accounts but perhaps the most vital 3 points to date as it keeps us with some hopes (still slim imo) of making playoffs.  More poor performances like that though and we will get punished. 

It seems to me that TM deserves huge credit for finding and/or utilising match winners - Graham, Mulgrew (in league 1) Dack (both) Armstrong and Elliott. It is a big bonus having players who can win you games with their talent even when you are playing well.  I am however getting rather worried that we seem to consistently rely on this. From league 1 to now we don't half seem to get bailed out by our stars rather than playing well. It seem to me that we are far too overreliant on this.  

• Like 2

Mixed feelings about last night. Ultimately it's all about the result and getting 3 points so I'm happy. To score a last second goal to win a match is always a special moment. Also, to win a game when you've been so incredibly poor is every good sign. The 5 sub rule showed why it benefits bigger clubs like ours, their subs made them worse and swung the momentum in our favour. 

The performance for 80 minutes was inept though. Worrying the players didnt look particularly up for it. That's where we miss the fans to spur the players on; not many of the players seemed motivated on a cold night against an unfashionable team. 

Let's enjoy Harvey Elliot while he's, we're watching a future England star. 

Other observations:

- Do we have Douglas' twin brother? 

- Buckley is not ready to start a match 

- Downing still oozes class

• Like 3

14 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I apologise if I'm wide of the mark but I just don't believe you. That's only 2 years more than me, but I can substantiate that, can you? Not that it bloody matters, stupid point to make in the first place!

Hahaha.." I apologise if"....Are you Priti Patel in disguise? 

Last night was more of a watching Rovers out of body experience, than I have ever known...Not that it stopped us celebrating. Time wasting bastards!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I always look at like this - who would you rather play against ? I couldn't see a way of getting past Nyambe unless I got lucky.  Aarons might be better going forward and good on the eye but he's not as good a defender.  Nyambe is a formidable opponent in a one on one situation out wide.

He is. But nearer the box not so much IMO, time your run and there’s a good chance he’ll play you onside.

50 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Love the fact that after Arma scores Ayala pinches the ball out the back of the net and hoofs it out the stadium. Waste our own few seconds after they had wasted half the game

I like Ayala. I like his shit housing. He's still a bit off it, but he looks like he annoys the opposition and isn't that really what you should be doing 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It will be utterly criminal if he's allowed to leave at the end of his current contract. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Love the fact that after Arma scores Ayala pinches the ball out the back of the net and hoofs it out the stadium. Waste our own few seconds after they had wasted half the game

And wasn't young Elliott delighted, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I just think SG is not being used as he should be. He tries hard, but lets be honest, a winger/inside forward he is not. He should be back up central striker behind Armstrong, or called on to change things up with AA moving wide.

I’m not seeing the basic attributes to be good at this either. For 6’4” he’s ineffective in the air, God-awful first touch, no tricks and hesitates rather than gambles.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Didn't someone post during the last game that we are in the exact same position (position and points) at this stage of the season for the last 3 seasons?

That's not a year on year progress.

Surely it is just at the end of the season? but then could argue missing key players and still doing as well? 

18 hours ago, tomphil said:

The reality is he stifles the life out of this team at times and actually plays into the oppositions hands. They come to stop us so we sit back and let them.

Last 2 games he was clearly settling in for the point it's just a good job one or two of these players actually have some belief we can knick it.

He's done a decent job here but his real abilities as a manage are way overhyped.

I have to agree with you that I think he does try to draw teams out from the back which does not work all the time. I certainly think to be successful in the Championship you have to come to us and get at least a point and teams are happy to tuck 10 behind the ball and just see it out. 

• Like 1

I think credit has to go to Mowbray because his subs changed the game around at the end of the day. Downing, Trybull and Holtby controlled the midfield when they came on and their passing and movement of the ball was far better than what we had. 

Buckley needs a loan to League One. He is just not up to the standard physically right now and it hurts us. With Dack and Travis to come back, and Downing now available, Buckley would fall down the pecking order anyway.

All in all, I was pleased with the win. I had a bit of a shit day, so to see us get a winner in the 98th minute felt really good!

8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m not seeing the basic attributes to be good at this either. For 6’4” he’s ineffective in the air, God-awful first touch, no tricks and hesitates rather than gambles.

He did ok for us up front last time he was here. He isnt that bad at heading, scored a few in the past for us. Either way, if we had to try and get some value out of him - it just should not be on the wing. 

• Like 1