BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City v Rovers (a) Sat. 19th Dec. 3pm

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It isn't irrational.

I think Buckley is so woefully out of his depth it's untrue.

You see real maturity, ability and impact with 17 year old Harvey Elliott whilst 21 year old Buckley, IMO, wanders around lost like a 16 year old schoolboy and has virtually zero influence / impact on a game.  The contrast could not be more stark.

the gulf in ability between elliot and buckley is an almighy chasm,one is destined to be a regular in the liverpool side while the other will end up playing non league,in buckleys case,if you`re not showing anything at 21 then it`s not going to happen for you at this level

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

How can it be irrational when he plays instead of better players and does bugger all....are we a charity?

Don’t always agree with you Sparks but I can’t not do on this! Buckley needs a loan move and a good few months on the weights and protein shakes. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Obvious physicality questions aside, he doesnt seem to have the speed of thought required, far too ponderous.

He mustn't have been like that for the under 23s though, or maybe you get more time. He looks way out of his depth playing senior though. I would say some looking for positives are digging further than people even did with Brereton looking for any positive to pick up on (prior to him becoming very useful to the team) 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He mustn't have been like that for the under 23s though, 

It's a different world.  Its sanitised to death is academy football.  

I get the feeling nobody wants him on loan or he would have gone, surely.   He has no real strengths that a league 1 or 2 manager might need.  Chorley just got Willem on a long deal, perhaps this is where Bucko might end up.

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

It's a different world.  Its sanitised to death is academy football.  

I get the feeling nobody wants him on loan or he would have gone, surely.   He has no real strengths that a league 1 or 2 manager might need.  Chorley just got Willem on a long deal, perhaps this is where Bucko might end up.

Ya, very sanitized. The old reserve system made men out of boys a lot quicker. I think you are probably right about the kind of demand he is in. I can't imagine a League 1 manager giving any guarantees about him being a weekly starter. So he would probably get less game time than here. 

3 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Changes needed. We got away with one against Rotherham

Kaminski

Nyambe - Lenihan - Ayala - Bell

Holtby - Trybull - Downing

Elliott - Arma - Gallagher

Mowbray takes Rothwell off every week so no he doesn’t need a rest. Agree with the midfield here though, but would put Rothwell wide left of the three. There is no way he would be less useful that Gallagher out there.

Gallagher should be a route one option off the bench.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

A bit worrying - but I think Downing is probably our best best for left back. He is no slower than Douglas - and has even better delivery.

I might even try Thompson from the U23s at left back. if it doesn't work out I would swap in Downing. 

27 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Mowbray takes Rothwell off every week so no he doesn’t need a rest. Agree with the midfield here though, but would put Rothwell wide left of the three. There is no way he would be less useful that Gallagher out there.

Gallagher should be a route one option off the bench.

agreed,you need rothwell further forward,he was continually getting the ball off his own back four last night,he`s not going to ping a forty yard pass right to someones feet,his best asset is driving forward looking for the final ball,i think  mowbray is scared of upsetting some players and finds it easier to drop others or shuffle them around,hence the bizarre midfield combination last night

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Well, he has started one game in 12 (probably more if you can be bothered to go back) which leads me to believe you are talking out of an irrational dislike for him.

Coming on as a substitute is a basic requisite for player development. He is the best midfield prospect in the club and is seeing game time as he should. 

Buckley has started 2 games this season - last night and Forest. He has come on as a sub 10 times and has a total of 423 minutes, so the equivalent of less than 5 games.

I do think that the usual Forum groupthink has settled on Buckley as this week's scapegoat. I suppose it gives Williams and Bell a rest. I suspect Douglas is next.

Buckley wasn't great last night, but then nobody was, with the possible exception of Nyambe. Elliott is clearly a considerably more talented player but even he misplaced quite a number of passes last night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Kipre? He isn't even making the squad for WBA and he made his choice not to come here. Not for me either! 

Ah come on, he has no affinity to Rovers, why would he have chosen us over a chance of playing in the premier league?Not to mention the higher wages he is most likely on?

He backed his ability and thought he could break into the West Brom team.And who knows with the change of manager he might get more of an opportunity to play.

If he is available on loan then surely it would be a no brainer to bring him in if we could?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Ah come on, he has no affinity to Rovers, why would he have chosen us over a chance of playing in the premier league?Not to mention the higher wages he is most likely on?

He backed his ability and thought he could break into the West Brom team.And who knows with the change of manager he might get more of an opportunity to play.

If he is available on loan then surely it would be a no brainer to bring him in if we could?

No,I don't think so. He dragged on that decision after giving a yes first. I don't think people at Rovers will forget that. There are surely other options. 

15 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Buckley has started 2 games this season - last night and Forest. He has come on as a sub 10 times and has a total of 423 minutes, so the equivalent of less than 5 games.

I do think that the usual Forum groupthink has settled on Buckley as this week's scapegoat. I suppose it gives Williams and Bell a rest. I suspect Douglas is next.

Buckley wasn't great last night, but then nobody was, with the possible exception of Nyambe. Elliott is clearly a considerably more talented player but even he misplaced quite a number of passes last night.

Oh gosh, I don't think this is group think or scapegoating. On Elliott ,ya he misplaced more ,cos he was on the ball far more. Buckley touched the ball 29 times. All I remember him doing is 1 bad crossfield ball and to be fair a good defensive hook. He was getting shunted off the ball left ,right and centre, as he usually does 

When has he played well? I don't mean that in a smart way 

• Like 1

That cross is a good example of what I mean. Buckley overhit a cross in the first half, but someone (Gallagher?) picked it up and the attack continued. Just before Elliott ballooned a cross from the same place into the stand. Guess who got pilloried for the cross on this thread? This is not to suggest that Elliott is crap because of a misplaced cross - every player, no matter how good does the same sort of thing from time to time.

I, and a few others, have praised his performance more than once this season, although my bad memory precludes me from remembering which games. Others have been constant critics.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No,I don't think so. He dragged on that decision after giving a yes first. I don't think people at Rovers will forget that. There are surely other options. 

So I presume you would have been against Roy Keane coming here if we had ever had the chance to sign him again later on in his career?

Plenty of players will have been open to move to clubs only to be made better offers at a higher level and choosing that option.

Fair enough if you don't want him because he isn't good enough but the majority of players would have chosen West Brom over us in  a similar circumstance

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

That cross is a good example of what I mean. Buckley overhit a cross in the first half, but someone (Gallagher?) picked it up and the attack continued. Just before Elliott ballooned a cross from the same place into the stand. Guess who got pilloried for the cross on this thread? This is not to suggest that Elliott is crap because of a misplaced cross - every player, no matter how good does the same sort of thing from time to time.

I, and a few others, have praised his performance more than once this season, although my bad memory precludes me from remembering which games. Others have been constant critics.

Buckley played well against QPR when he came on early.

He was poor last night as he was against Forest, but Rothwell deserves more criticism than Buckley for last night and against Forest the senior players were poor aswell.

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He was poor last night as he was against Forest, but Rothwell deserves more criticism than Buckley for last night and against Forest the senior players were poor aswell.

Not for me - Buckley did nothing in the game. Nothing. Rothwell made some good attacking runs and had our only shot of any note on target in the first half (denied only by a good save by their keeper at full stretch). Buckley needs to fill out, man up and get stuck in more. Rothwell looks a natural in this team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Not for me - Buckley did nothing in the game. Nothing. Rothwell made some good attacking runs and had our only shot of any note on target in the first half (denied only by a good save by their keeper at full stretch). Buckley needs to fill out, man up and get stuck in more. Rothwell looks a natural in this team.

Rothwell was poor by his standards last night.I obviously don't mean Buckley is better than Rothwell, but Buckley has had a handful of starts it shouldn't be up to him to take the game to Rotherham.Rothwell is a senior player and  he was poor last night.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So I presume you would have been against Roy Keane coming here if we had ever had the chance to sign him again later on in his career?

Plenty of players will have been open to move to clubs only to be made better offers at a higher level and choosing that option.

Fair enough if you don't want him because he isn't good enough but the majority of players would have chosen West Brom over us in  a similar circumstance

I would make an exception for Keane to be fair :) but Kipres not in a comparative league. There's only 1 Roy Keane, but I'm sure we can get as good as Kipre without much hassle

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Rothwell is very frustrating. I do wonder if he will ever be consistent. The thing is though, he has shown some brilliant stuff. I'm yet to see much with Buckley. I have heard far more positive things than I have seen. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel