BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City v Rovers (a) Sat. 19th Dec. 3pm

I'll be honest in the circumstances Johnson at CB is as good as it gets. Not sure who else would play there given the physicality of Stoke. It also keeps Nayambe in his best position which is another plus. 

That said, that we have come to this situation is all too predictable and a poor case of squad construction. 

• Like 1

Its unsurprising that the defence is the area in which we are exposed. The supposed initial intention was to get 2 centre backs in the summer, instead we got one with a constant injury history.

Out of the options remaining, Johnson at CB may prove to be the least worrying, Buckley at RB or Carter at CB both arent up to it. One thing is for sure, regardless of current plans, we HAVE to sign a defender in January otherwise it WILL cost us.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

Saw that we tweeted out the team early, amazed Douglas keeps his place he’s been woeful; worse than Bell has ever been and consistently too 

Bell has been consistently poor throughout his entire Rovers career to be fair, as bad and worse as Douglas has been including midweek when he came on and was as bad if not worse than Douglas.

Neither can defend and Douglas is another attempt at patching up our left back problem rather than solve it. But I suppose at least Douglas does have previous history of success at this level even if it seems unlikely that he can get to a similar level. Douglas at least is not technically incapable whereas Bell often shanks the ball back into danger or into touch, and he does offer us something albeit going forward which is not the priority for a left back.

Bell has benefitted hugely from being out the team, with people forgetting how bad he is!

1 hour ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Saw an Arna doppelganger leaving a (n illegal) house party at 2am this morning. Hope to hello it wasn't him, but reading the Ben Marshall thread has me wondering... after all, everyone under 25 is fecking immortal and entitled, right?? 

In Stoke? Even though it is close they are probably over-nighting there.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its unsurprising that the defence is the area in which we are exposed. The supposed initial intention was to get 2 centre backs in the summer, instead we got one with a constant injury history.

Out of the options remaining, Johnson at CB may prove to be the least worrying, Buckley at RB or Carter at CB both arent up to it. One thing is for sure, regardless of current plans, we HAVE to sign a defender in January otherwise it WILL cost us.

I'd personally say 2.

One experienced and the other a promising youngster who's already cut his teeth at playing mens football. I would recommend young Scott Wilson, who's come through the ranks with the Dingles, released last summer and is now at Barrow. Left footed, aggressive with an attitude, can play left back or left centre half. He's also an avid Rovers fan to boot!

Think Ayala is the new Grella!

Just what the feck are our centre backs made of.  Likes of John McNamee, Graham Hawkins, Glen Keeley and Kevin Moran were virtually indestructible!

Said it time and time again, you should steer well clear of players known for being injury prone - the M'boro fans knew about Ayala why didn't Mowbray!?

• Like 2

Personally I am surprised to see Johnson at Cb instead of Nyambe, but then we're also short of options at Rb. 

I can't call this one. I felt we've started this season very well without just reward. However, the longer that has gone on the more I have doubted our bad luck and considered it to be a systematic lack of quality or concentration when required. The midweek game was a killer, I saw no hope in how we played so couldn't even say we were unlucky anymore.  But we won, and win today and things look up again. 

Coyb!!! 

Still confident of winning.

Holtby, Rothwell, Elliott and Armstrong will have too much for Stoke.

There's sure to be goals a plenty now with our defence and I've stuck a third bet on - £10 on over 4.5 goals at 7/1.

COYB

• Like 1

Carter is seriously not trusted. TM would rather play a CM there who has played far too much football lately and is clearly on his arse.

Williams is out for months. Lenihan has an injury record (thankfully mostly in the past but could still lurk) and likes to get suspended now and then. Magloire could come back in January but isn't a regular fixture at amateur level.

All of this makes the comments that we don't intend to bring any players in unless someone leaves all the more baffling and infuriating. It's not even an expensive area to recruit at a basic level. You can absolutely kiss goodbye to any dreams of the playoffs if playing the likes of Johnson at CB becomes even a semi-regular feature, whether we get away with it today or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Looking forward to this game ..two sides nearly identical records ..4 wins in 8 the pair of us. 

Armstrong gets his boots on the right feet and i think we ll out score um ..

COYB!

Outscoring them is the only way to win this. I know technically that's how you best all teams, but what I mean is I can't see us keeping it tight and nicking a goal. It's got high scoring written all over it. 

• Like 1