BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Marshall - Under The Cosh Podcast #89

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

And all the Hughes golden era started with being bully boys, Blackeye Rovers who the Southern media loved to hate, again.

You don't get anywhere without first starting at the back then and getting in players in key positions who knock over their granny to clear a ball.  Every manager we've had under this lot has gone about it front to back, totally wrong way to build a good solid team. And this 'nice lads' policy is ridiculous.

No manager seem the graft of controlling strong characters on the training ground and breaking up a few spats etc.  It's all high fives, back slapping and hugging each other. No wonder the art of tackles is disappearing.

Absolutely.

I'd kill to have Andy Todd in the centre of our defence right now. Bollocking teammates and elbow smashing opponents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I wouldn't say Jon Parkin and Chris Brown x 2 offer a great deal at all, but I still enjoy them.

I watched the Marc Bircham one as well, there's a man who likes the sound of his own voice.

Me too. Their ability to get answers comes from them having played the game (although not the other Chris), therefore the interviewee can relate to them very easily. This allows for a relaxed atmosphere and leads to candid discussions. Where all 3 of them fell way short with Marshall is that what happened to him is serious and relevant outside of football. A more astute line of questioning or focused follow up could have really made some inroads. I'd have to listen again but I think that Brown (ex "striker" one) kept repeating some throwaway line rather than delving in.

The Kilgallon one was really good. 

2 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Absolutely.

I'd kill to have Andy Todd in the centre of our defence right now. Bollocking teammates and elbow smashing opponents.

Imagine the training games then, Todd, Samba, Savage, Nelson and the Axe to name just a few.  They must've needed cornermen on the sidelines then i bet there was never a dull day.

If Mowbray had walked in after Hughes he'd have got rid of most of them and replaced them with kids who he can boss about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

Imagine the training games then, Todd, Samba, Savage, Nelson and the Axe to name just a few.  They must've needed cornermen on the sidelines then i bet there was never a dull day.

If Mowbray had walked in after Hughes he'd have got rid of most of them and replaced them with kids who he can boss about.

Under Hughes I always felt there was accountability. The players would call each other out (in the right way) as would the manager. There was no acceptance of bad performances. I remember we often seemed to be crap in the first half at home but then (after I presume a rocket up the arse) we'd lay seige to the Blackburn End goal in the second.

In this team there's no leaders and no one to set the standards. Conceding a goal means almost certain defeat. If we play badly in the first half, we're likely to play badly in the second. There's just no fight and it's so so disappointing to watch. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Under Hughes I always felt there was accountability. The players would call each other out (in the right way) as would the manager. There was no acceptance of bad performances. I remember we often seemed to be crap in the first half at home but then (after I presume a rocket up the arse) we'd lay seige to the Blackburn End goal in the second.

In this team there's no leaders and no one to set the standards. Conceding a goal means almost certain defeat. If we play badly in the first half, we're likely to play badly in the second. There's just no fight and it's so so disappointing to watch. 

It's not what you'd associate with a team or manager trying to get into the top end of the division. More of a set of people happy to drift on win some lose some then see where we end up.  Which is very much were we deserve to be, middle of the road.

19 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

I was interested to see the stats on this after reading your post.

In the last 3 seasons (2 full and most of this one) under Mowbray:

Games fallen behind: 68

Games won after falling behind: 4

In Hughes final season 07/08

Games fallen behind: 21

Games won after falling behind 6

We got 23 points from losing positions that season. A real bunch of battlers.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Jesus..... 

On 09/03/2021 at 10:21, LeftWinger said:

If you go right back to the start of Mowbray's reign here it reads like this..

Games fallen behind: 87

Games won after falling behind: 7

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 09:26, LeftWinger said:

I'll add that to my list.

The best one by far, although not Rovers related is the one with Simon Ferry (yes you probably don’t know who he is) he played at Swindon under Di Canio and his stories are absolutely hilarious. It’s a 2 parter and they both cracked me up. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2021 at 12:26, Butty said:

The best one by far, although not Rovers related is the one with Simon Ferry (yes you probably don’t know who he is) he played at Swindon under Di Canio and his stories are absolutely hilarious. It’s a 2 parter and they both cracked me up. 

I finally finished this one. It took me a while to get through both episodes.

There were some very good bits about Di Canio and Thomas Gravesen.

I've listened to a few of these podcasts now and what is starting to stick out is the immaturity of footballers. Lots of stories about boozing, acting up, pranking, and getting in bother. 

I've listened to a few this month and the lads on tour stories are starting to get a bit annoying. 

I like to footballing insights and their take on people in the game but the laddish exploits aren't worth much.

Maybe I'm getting old.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I finally finished this one. It took me a while to get through both episodes.

There were some very good bits about Di Canio and Thomas Gravesen.

I've listened to a few of these podcasts now and what is starting to stick out is the immaturity of footballers. Lots of stories about boozing, acting up, pranking, and getting in bother. 

I've listened to a few this month and the lads on tour stories are starting to get a bit annoying. 

I like to footballing insights and their take on people in the game but the laddish exploits aren't worth much.

Maybe I'm getting old.

I know what you mean, I don’t really care much for the “lads on tour” stories. Hearing about different managers and players though and how they operate is fascinating to me, especially stories from the dressing room which you’d never normally hear. Si Ferry’s stories about Di Canio and Gravesen had me in stitches 😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Butty said:

I know what you mean, I don’t really care much for the “lads on tour” stories. Hearing about different managers and players though and how they operate is fascinating to me, especially stories from the dressing room which you’d never normally hear. Si Ferry’s stories about Di Canio and Gravesen had me in stitches 😂

That is what is good about them, it gives a glimpse of what's behind the curtain.

Then it all goes a bit iffy with tales like - "we were out on a Tuesday, all of us hammered, then player X took his kecks off and starting dancing on tables before barfing in some girl's handbag".

As I said yesterday maybe I'm getting old. 

• 1 year later...

Didn't see if this was posted elsewhere or not.

Did anyone see the clip of Jon Parkin and Chris Brown in with the Stoke fans?

Chris Brown was singing "Your support is $%£$ing shit" at the Rovers fans. He was also asked which stands he used to get abuse from......."All of them" 😂

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Didn't see if this was posted elsewhere or not.

Did anyone see the clip of Jon Parkin and Chris Brown in with the Stoke fans?

Chris Brown was singing "Your support is $%£$ing shit" at the Rovers fans. He was also asked which stands he used to get abuse from......."All of them" 😂

I saw the one where he said, rovers a 1-0 down they need a goal, the fans look over and he is stripped off to come on, he was mocking himself really on how bad he was