Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

One of Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis or Nigel Pearson would be my preference. But you'd also hope Mr Waggott is doing his job properly and will also also be looking at what we could bring in from overseas for example I had never heard of the Reading or Barnsley managers until they appointed them but both are doing excellent jobs so far. 

We could certainly do a hell of a lot worse than Paul Cook and he would improve us straight away as he would sort out the defence. 

Finally if you want to go down the route of a young up-and-coming manager then someone I'm a big admirer of is Michael Flynn at Newport, he's worked wonders there the last few years on a small budget. 

Michael Flynn is a good shout. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Established Championship club ✅ Recent history of Premier League football ✅ Squad packed with quality, including 2nd highest scorer in the league and a returning Dack ✅ No forced sales

Alex Neil -  Young manager sourced by Norwich from Hamilton - Takes them up via play offs beating their hated rivals along the way.  Can't stay up but then gets sacked when they are 8th in the Champ.

With Mark Hughes it boils down to how eager he is to return to management and repair his damaged reputation or if he is happy to relax and wait for something to come along that genuinely excites him.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

If we fancy a chance of promotion ASAP: Wagner, O'Neill (as in the Stoke manager), Hughes, Jokanovic, Billic, one of the 20 Italian or Spanish managers that managed Watford in the last 5 seasons.

If we want to go down the 'budget route' and still have a shot soon: Robins, Cook, Cowley brothers, Pearson, Stendel, one of the other 20 Italian or Spanish managers that managed Watford in the last 5 seasons (I forget which ones were better than the others).

I suspect the Brexit will prevent or at best delay an appointment of a foreign national. Just 36 hours left to get it over the line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dismiss the HSH list but our last 3 managers came from the HSH portfolio....

Anyway if Suhail is still locked down in India and there is no visible or audiable pressure from fans then everything is hunky dory on the ruderless ship Rovers.

 

"Thanks to the 2500 who donated knowing they will get nothing in return.

Thanks to the owners without whom we wouldn't be here (in this mess!)

Thanks to Tony Mowbray.

Happy New Year.

Swag"

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

 

Is Carvalhl managing Braga in the Portuguese top league and currently 4th in league. 

 

Oh, if he’s at the mighty Braga then we may as well give up now then. Let’s just aim for another L1 manager with that mentality  

Whos to say Pearson, Bilic or Jokankvic wouldn’t be interested either? 

We’re attractive for managers, the squad is top6 quality, the academy is top level, and you get freedom away from the owners. 
 

Personally I’d go out for Wagner, he had a bad year at Schalke but took Huddersfield up and kept them up. I think he’d be interested if he was willing to come back to the UK. We’re not far down the road from Huddersfield, better academy and a squad he can work with. 
Thinking outside the box, De Zerbi, Seoane, Julian Stephen, Diego Martinez. No doubt they’ll be touted by clubs higher up the pyramid but you’ve got to try. 

Look at Barnsley trying someone new in Ismael. Won 10 of his first 15 there

 

Its all dreamland anyway, he’s staying for the foreseeable. 

Edited by superniko
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

and look at the comparative resources!!!  For a start, Cook didn't have £12million+ to spunk up the wall on two strikers and what he did there was really quite remarkable.

Go beyond that - Cook did well at Stanley in extreme circumstances and took both Chesterfield and Pompey up.  Wherever he's managed, he's been successful and moved clubs forward and hence he's moved up the managerial ladder.

Think Mowbray was on the scrapheap when he came here having bombed at Celtic, Coventry etc. 

If our owners were more savvy then there might be better options out there.  However, where we are with ownership etc, I'd take Cook every second of the day over Mowbray.

 

I appreciate that Mowbray has had greater resources (which he's wasted) than Cook and it obviously it needs to be taken into account. He might be an improvement on Mowbray but I don't think it would be enough to get us where we need to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I notice the social media from the players. They have usually posted their generic messages the same night as the game.

I wonder what that's about? 

I think they’ve all fallen out with each other, looked like 5/6 of them hadn’t played with rest before, no cohesion at all. I’d say there’s a split in the camp. Some of these like Holtby, Ayala, AA, Kaminski, will all be wanting to push for the PL. Then I imagine you have the likes of Bennett and co in the holiday club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StevenSK said:

I think they’ve all fallen out with each other, looked like 5/6 of them hadn’t played with rest before, no cohesion at all. I’d say there’s a split in the camp. Some of these like Holtby, Ayala, AA, Kaminski, will all be wanting to push for the PL. Then I imagine you have the likes of Bennett and co in the holiday club.

I'd say there is a split too, but not in the way you say. I think something changed during the Bristol city game. Armstrong went on a one man mission to not pass the ball, ever since then we have seemed slower to pass the ball forward. I think some of the players fell out with him and lost some faith that night. Our attacking play has been so lame since. 

I think some of the players think its stupid Gallagher plays right wing. They see Holtby starting and coming on ahead of Davenport and they probably think that's unfair. 

You could see last night they weren't a team. We don't know know, but something has changed over the last few games. 

Not his biggest fan either, but i think its a bit of a leap to shoehorn Bennett in for criticism at this point! 

 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Dismiss the HSH list but our last 3 managers came from the HSH portfolio....

Anyway if Suhail is still locked down in India and there is no visible or audiable pressure from fans then everything is hunky dory on the ruderless ship Rovers.

 

"Thanks to the 2500 who donated knowing they will get nothing in return.

Thanks to the owners without whom we wouldn't be here (in this mess!)

Thanks to Tony Mowbray.

Happy New Year.

Swag"

In fairness practically every Christmas message from the clubs thanks the manager, if not all 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superniko said:

Thinking outside the box, De Zerbi, Seoane, Julian Stephen, Diego Martinez. No doubt they’ll be touted by clubs higher up the pyramid but you’ve got to try. 

Look at Barnsley trying someone new in Ismael. Won 10 of his first 15 there

I agree that - if we were a normal club - we should think outside the box rather than appoint somebody who got promoted from the Championship about ten years ago but is now on the scrapheap. 

It’d have to be more obscure than someone like De Zerbi though. He’s currently sat in the Champions League places in Serie A. His next job will be a big Italian club rather than following on from Mid-table Mogga. It’d have to be someone more obscure but still promising. I’d love to make a foreign appointment and have somebody with completely fresh ideas rather than Mowbray getting muddled trying to work out whether it’s Sheffield United, Leeds or the latest flavour of the month whose approach he’d like to copy. 

The team being in such poor form, ideally we’d be looking at smaller European leagues or second divisions in the larger European countries looking for potential managers. Shame we’re not normal and, as you say, he’s here for the foreseeable and we’ll just keep on plodding away. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

When Paul Senior managed to get rid of that idiot, what did we do? We employed another HSH client who was firmly on the scrap heap. Again, it wasn’t an inspiring appointment, none of us saw it coming, but in hindsight it was fairly predictable.

Out of curiosity do we know if Warnock was an HSH client around this time? If not then it's curious that Cheston went through the effort of lining him up, only for somebody (Suhail?) to undermine him and parachute in the cheap option, and HSH client, instead. Why would Cheston even bother interviewing a manager outside of that agency if Venky's won't employ a manager who isn't a part of it? I can only assume a lack of communication or knowledge on the part of the Ewood employees about the Venky's/HSH connection. But then I wonder how anybody could work in such a position without knowing about that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DE. said:

Out of curiosity do we know if Warnock was an HSH client around this time? If not then it's curious that Cheston went through the effort of lining him up, only for somebody (Suhail?) to undermine him and parachute in the cheap option, and HSH client, instead. Why would Cheston even bother interviewing a manager outside of that agency if Venky's won't employ a manager who isn't a part of it? I can only assume a lack of communication or knowledge on the part of the Ewood employees about the Venky's/HSH connection. But then I wonder how anybody could work in such a position without knowing about that?

I don’t think he was.

I would guess he had a similar view to the one Waggott expressed... he needed to go out and find a new manager. The best one for the job.

Then Venky’s thrust Coyle on him out of left field, and he came out with that outstanding candidate shite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think he was.

I would guess he had a similar view to the one Waggott expressed... he needed to go out and find a new manager. The best one for the job.

Then Venky’s thrust Coyle on him out of left field, and he came out with that outstanding candidate shite.

Just highlights the incredible dysfunction that still exists at the club. I still don't think the owners have learned much, if anything, and I don't think they really want to either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DE. said:

Just highlights the incredible dysfunction that still exists at the club. I still don't think the owners have learned much, if anything, and I don't think they really want to either. 

Low down their list of priorities. Lack of knowledge of football nuance. The usual stuff, unfortunately. 

We could end up with a serious turkey next manager. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DE. said:

Out of curiosity do we know if Warnock was an HSH client around this time? If not then it's curious that Cheston went through the effort of lining him up, only for somebody (Suhail?) to undermine him and parachute in the cheap option, and HSH client, instead. Why would Cheston even bother interviewing a manager outside of that agency if Venky's won't employ a manager who isn't a part of it? I can only assume a lack of communication or knowledge on the part of the Ewood employees about the Venky's/HSH connection. But then I wonder how anybody could work in such a position without knowing about that?

At a guess, I'd reckon Cheston was tasked with getting a new manager in and had Warnock lined up before HSH got into either Venkys or Sulhails ear and sold them the Coyle dream, probably by also coming in at a much cheaper cost but pointing to his previous promotion. Venkys then made one of the worst decisions of their time in charge and employed Coyle over Warnock.

Edited by davulsukur
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

@Miller11did a post a few weeks/months of potential shortlist of the agency we have used for the 4 managers appointments. 

These are managers currently with HSH...

Steve Cooper

Mark Robins

Craig Bellamy

Gary Holt

Tony Pulis

Graham Wesley

Micky Mellon

Dave Challinor

Dean Keats

Tony Philliskirk

 

People mention Jokanovic but he is managing in middle East on big wages. Leaving that job for here? 

Bilic isn't coming here unless we are pay him big money and his staff. Ain't happening. 

Pearson could have come after Bowyer but wasn't interested then. 

Is Carvalhl managing Braga in the Portuguese top league and currently 4th in league. 

 

How do you know Pearson was offered after Bowyer. Lambert was within 24 hours of Bowyer going so Im presuming he was the main target all along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

At a guess, I'd reckon Cheston was tasked with getting a new manager in and had Warnock lined up before HSH got into either Venkys or Sulhails ear and sold them the Coyle dream, probably by also coming in at a much cheaper cost but pointing to his previous promotion. Venkys then made one of the worst decisions of their time in charge and employed Coyle over Warnock.

But then went back to the HSH well again after arguably two straight failures in Lambert and Coyle. Doesn't paint the decision makers in a very good light! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say there is a split too, but not in the way you say. I think something changed during the Bristol city game. Armstrong went on a one man mission to not pass the ball, ever since then we have seemed slower to pass the ball forward. I think some of the players fell out with him and lost some faith that night. Our attacking play has been so lame since. 

I think some of the players think its stupid Gallagher plays right wing. They see Holtby starting and coming on ahead of Davenport and they probably think that's unfair. 

You could see last night they weren't a team. We don't know know, but something has changed over the last few games. 

Not his biggest fan either, but i think its a bit of a leap to shoehorn Bennett in for criticism at this point! 

 

There is this stupid thing on Instagram called 'brains of Brockhall' where the team answer quiz questions all around Rovers and our next opponents - as you'd expect, they're all pretty thick. 

Anyway, Gallagher was on the last one and introduced himself as "a striker... or a winger, apparently" or something similar, to which he laughed and there were a couple of laughs in the background. I read it as he knows he's being played our of position and it's a bit of a joke. 

I do wonder if splits are getting bigger and eventually something will have to give. One can only hope. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.