BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Can’t we close this thread? It not gonna happen. Tony has got them under the ‘magic spell’, just like Kean/Anderson did. Sadly, Venkeys are being used again. Tony’s a smart cookie and knows what he’s doing. Only re-open if something actually happens...

• Like 6

On 13/02/2021 at 10:11, tomphil said:

Alex Neil -  Young manager sourced by Norwich from Hamilton - Takes them up via play offs beating their hated rivals along the way.  Can't stay up but then gets sacked when they are 8th in the Champ.

At PNE he has them beating local rivals regularly and finishing above them twice. Despite lesser facilities, transfer funds, no academy, lower wage bill.

All this in the last 5 years not over a decade ago.

It can be done if there are some brains and ambition behind it.  It can't be done relying on the same scrap dealer agency looking to pocket from having their man in place.

Ewood remains an agents vehicle with too many snouts in the trough.

Didnt Mercer start  a rumour about Neil a few weeks  ago ??

18 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

Can’t we close this thread? It not gonna happen. Tony has got them under the ‘magic spell’, just like Kean/Anderson did. Sadly, Venkeys are being used again. Tony’s a smart cookie and knows what he’s doing. Only re-open if something actually happens...

Yet, here you are trying to curtail discussion and debate. Transfer window threads grow til it becomes a game of how may pages it will be before something happens. Mowbray does know all the tricks in the book. Like you popping in here. Mowbray talks Rovers down. There are teams we "just" can't compete with ... financially. We're a smaller club than Stoke .. apparently. I thought our ground's bigger.

Full control over all football matters, deciding who to bring in on transfers. No, no manager's going to want that. Have to stress the arduous trip to Pune every year for budget discussions weeks after clubs that actually want to do early business have decided on their budgets.

Mowbray will have a successor and I hope this thread helps make that sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Didnt Mercer start  a rumour about Neil a few weeks  ago ??

If he said it was a banker then forget it....

On a more serious note that's the road they should go down instead of the lottery of HSH/SEM or whatevers scrapheap challenge.  Source somebody that fits the bill and might be doable. Might need a bit of compen but facilities/wage/budget/squad wise it's a step up to someone of his ilk.

There are others out there i absolutely cringe whenever i see 'who else is there' in defense of Mowbray. It's absolute hogwash and the easy lazy answer it all about how serious those in charge are of making the effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yet any request for extra funding, such as the loans for the latest 2 children or a £2m new pitch are met in the affirmative?

Have the squad train on the pitch for weeks, so it cuts up and then have it shown in such a poor state live on Sky and the Raos ie Venkys have no choice but to cough up £2m for a new playing surface. The saving face thing. Mowbray putting one over on the Raos.

6 hours ago, bringdunnback said:

I believe a decent manager would get 10-15 goals a season out of Gallagher.

I can't help remembering that he had a pretty good loan spell with us originally and that was under Coyle! Coyle was a crap manager but he never played Gallagher on the wing or right-back.

The lad's confidence is being ruined. I would like to see what a good manager could get out of him before writing him off.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

If he said it was a banker then forget it....

On a more serious note that's the road they should go down instead of the lottery of HSH/SEM or whatevers scrapheap challenge.  Source somebody that fits the bill and might be doable. Might need a bit of compen but facilities/wage/budget/squad wise it's a step up to someone of his ilk.

There are others out there i absolutely cringe whenever i see 'who else is there' in defense of Mowbray. It's absolute hogwash and the easy lazy answer it all about how serious those in charge are of making the effort.

I don't want them to, but I'm expecting Venky's to go down the agency route. As a client of HSH, I think there is a good chance we may see Tony Pulis as our next manager. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. He can organise a defence, plus he isn't one for the 'softly softly' approach. Those two factors have caused us problems for years. It won't be pretty to watch, though.

On 13/02/2021 at 09:56, Lucimo said:

Chaddy was asked a couple of times last night if he still backed Mowbray. I didn't see a response so I'm assuming his support is hanging by a thread. When that happens you know it's time to go. 

I haven't seen any and have no nonfictions of asking me about Mowbray and if he still had my backing. 

I am very undecided on his future as manager of the club. I am still very annoyed about the performance and result on Friday night. That performance was unacceptable 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't seen any and have no nonfictions of asking me about Mowbray and if he still had my backing. 

I am very undecided on his future as manager of the club. I am still very annoyed about the performance and result on Friday night. That performance was unacceptable 

He's been here for four years and you still can't make up your mind? Says it all. 

Way past the time to pot him. 

When we get a new manager we need to stop him going to India. It seems all those who do whilst they might get some extra cash also make themselves bulletproof.

Mowbray is no fool. He realised this was his first job after relegation. Now he's covered all around. I doubt even Pasha would risk rocking the boat now.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alan Nixon and Jaquob Crooke were asked over the weekend on Mowbray and this was their responses

If this is true and Mowbray doesn't get wise fast, it's going to end very badly. There's still a lot of good will for Mowbray at the moment but that won't last if this inconsistency continues and lose our best players due to lack of progress.

No manager should be "well protected", it's certainly no incentive to achieve anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alan Nixon and Jaquob Crooke were asked over the weekend on Mowbray and this was their responses

Unsure why anyone feels the need to tweet sources unlikely to know anything different from what is common knowledge. It is a manager that our negligent and disinterested owners seem comfortable with, our CEO is a friend from a previous club and apparently publically laughed off questions over his future at the last public meeting, and his close friend and assistant is also the director of football (or something similar, not 100%) based on interviews in the past. He is in the perfect situation, throw in no fans to question him at games and a lorry load of excuses to hand should he ever need them and he will be as safe as houses.

Interesting to see the doubts you have about the managers future, is this a general reaction to the Preston game or the final straw? As you seem to have gone from insistence that he stays even midway through last week to questioning, what was it about the Preston game in particular? Was it the particularly bizarre tactical choices and subs?

Talk about Neil coming in are seemingly solely posted for provocative purposes and are from a source with a very poor track record.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

When we get a new manager we need to stop him going to India. It seems all those who do whilst they might get some extra cash also make themselves bulletproof.

Mowbray is no fool. He realised this was his first job after relegation. Now he's covered all around. I doubt even Pasha would risk rocking the boat now.

Didn't Pasha and Cheston got Mowbray the meeting in Pune after our relegation? 

Also is Pasha, Slivester, Cheston and Waggott all backing Mowbray still?

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

nteresting to see the doubts you have about the managers future, is this a general reaction to the Preston game or the final straw? As you seem to have gone from insistence that he stays even midway through last week to questioning, what was it about the Preston game in particular? Was it the particularly bizarre tactical choices and subs?

The Preston Game. 

Playing Gallagher at right back was a joke and his treatment of him in the game and the position he was asked played was wrong.. Or even a right winger is now getting stupid now. Bringing Brereton with 5 mins was too late. Why bring on Harwood Bellis 10 minutes after subbing Nyambe? why not bring him in place of Nyambe in the first place. 

Our performance in that game wasn't good enough and we were awful tbh. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Preston Game. 

Playing Gallagher at right back was a joke and his treatment of him in the game and the position he was asked played was wrong.. Or even a right winger is now getting stupid now. Bringing Brereton with 5 mins was too late. Why bring on Harwood Bellis 10 minutes after subbing Nyambe? why not bring him in place of Nyambe in the first place. 

Cant argue with your analysis of the various choices made through the game. I would never make the decision based solely on one game but ultimately many of the issues raised were further examples of the nonsensical choices that Mowbray often makes.

I do think looking back that we were all perhaps (to varying degrees) misled by the scorelines against Wycombe, Derby, Coventry and Preston, 3 of which we played against 10 men for much of that time. Even during that period, we never got good enough results to break into the top 6 after the third game in, so it was always based on an assumption that if we persisted with that consistent system for long enough, we might challenge the top 6 which obviously has never materialised. The one time prior (admittedly in League 1) that we could be confident about getting results regularly was based on consistent selections, square pegs in square holes and familiarity. His new attempts seem based on a flawed perception of possession, over thinking and at times total confusion.

I think even when we was performing slighty better, we still had that unhealthy reliance on the goals of Armstrong. Its during the leaner spells that all strikers go through whereby you really notice how flaky the contributions of the supporting cast are. We marvelled over the likes of Holtby, Rothwell, Dolan (he is a kid who burst onto the scene then soon faded so no blame towards him) and based on the lowest of benchmarks, Brereton and their performances when we ran riot v 10 men but ultimately their contributions this season are again minimal, even when much of the time the side has been built to suit them.

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Preston Game. 

You should give the nobbers some credit mate...especially their midfield who I thought were especially strong and dominant from start to finish 👍  even with league 1 players...😔

• Like 1