BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Cheers Duncan. I'm far from Pulis' biggest fan but he'd be a big upgrade on Mowbray IMO.

But Paul Jewell - good left field shout of appointing the most random one of the lot.

They also have Greg Vignal, who is at Marseille as a first team coach, he has quite high rated.

18 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If Mowbray was potted tomorrow, I’d place big money on it being Pulis. He’s out of work currently and not only have Venky’s previously baulked at paying compensation, HSH would obviously rather fix up one of their men than just move one from one role to another.

Other names are:

Steve Cooper - we aren’t going to tempt him away from Swansea.

Mark Robins - his stock is currently rising. Despite the argument I’ve had on Facebook last night we’d be a big step up from Cov. 

The rest are pretty uninspiring... Dean Keats, Gary Holt, Craig Bellamy, Sami Hyypia are all in various coaching or director of football roles. Oh, and there’s Paul Jewell too.

It's comforting to know they represent the absolute cream of football tacticians.

Take your pick guys, the future Blackburn Rovers manager.

Edited by booth

So in terms of the slow build, what phase are we in ?  I don't know the details of every players contract but to the best of my knowledge, Williams, Mulgrew, Bell, Johnson, Downing, Rothwell (?), Holtby, Chapman, Evans, Bennett and Nyambe will not be here next season. The loans will all be gone. So where does that leave us:

Players who we are probably happy with :                               Kaminski, Lenihan, Armstrong

Players who should come good but currently struggling :      Dack , Travis

Players yet to prove themselves :                                             Dolan, Davenport, JRC, Wharton, Buckley, Pickering

Duffers we are stuck with                                                          Gallagher, Brereton, Pears

Crocks                                                                                          Ayala

Have I missed anyone ? That is a paper thin, poor squad for next season. We would need to spend a pretty penny to build a promotion team based on that lot.

Slow build or demolition ?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If Mowbray was potted tomorrow, I’d place big money on it being Pulis. He’s out of work currently and not only have Venky’s previously baulked at paying compensation, HSH would obviously rather fix up one of their men than just move one from one role to another.

Pulis is sexist in the extreme. If we're talking of people i wouldn't want hes one. And on a professional level, I think he's had his day.

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

So in terms of the slow build, what phase are we in ?  I don't know the details of every players contract but to the best of my knowledge, Williams, Mulgrew, Bell, Johnson, Downing, Rothwell (?), Holtby, Chapman, Evans, Bennett and Nyambe will not be here next season. The loans will all be gone. So where does that leave us:

Players who we are probably happy with :                               Kaminski, Lenihan, Armstrong

Players yet to prove themselves :                                             Dolan, Davenport, JRC, Wharton, Buckley, Pickering

Duffers we are stuck with                                                          Gallagher, Brereton, Pears

Crocks                                                                                          Ayala

Have I missed anyone ? That is a paper thin, poor squad for next season. We would need to spend a pretty penny to build a promotion team based on that lot.

That's a lot of players to potentially replace. Mowbray will make undeserved offers to some off them, for no other reason than to keep the numbers up.

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Other names are:

Mark Robins - his stock is currently rising. Despite the argument I’ve had on Facebook last night we’d be a big step up from Cov. 

The rest are pretty uninspiring... Dean Keats, Gary Holt, Craig Bellamy, Sami Hyypia are all in various coaching or director of football roles. Oh, and there’s Paul Jewell too.

Chansiri was pretty damning about Pulis. He called him unprofessional, wanting to play 4-5-1 and that Pulis said his style of play would depend on his opponents. 

Pulis does not sound like an upgrade on Mowbray. HSH may already have offered Pulis. Were Venkys to go in different direction to that of their advisors, could they keep HSH on as advisors? Highly unlikely, I think.

Cooper would be expensive both to prise out of Swansea's grasp and to remunerate. Certainly an upgrade on Mowbray. Paying compensation to hire a manager is not something Venkys have done before. There's also the question about replacing Venus, Lowe and Benson. And Waggott. Can't pot Mowbray without potting Waggott. The choice between leaving the spot vacant til the summer or bringing someone else in. If it's someone previous, Venkys would have to pot Suhail Pasha. Venkys have presumably asked for Pasha's advice on the manager. Were Venkys to take it, it would be hard to see Pasha being removed.

Looking to hire someone who already is employed, might explain Venkys delay in potting Mowbray.

Reading the report of Swansea's win over Forest, whom Cooper described as a team in good form, their fans were saying a poor performance without energy. Could have been talking about us under Mowbray.

Plenty of names being banded. My view is that we need a manager to get the best out of the undoubted talent we have. Paul Cook has the traits of the type of manager capable of getting us up to the top 6 with ease and probably would get us up. Hughes wouldn’t lower his standards to come back whilst Pulis isn’t for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I haven’t seen his name (& do not desire to read the whole thread), but how about Tugay? He has coaching/managerial experience at Galatasaray.

I really wouldn't want Tugay here under this lot. He is a club legend and there are so many fantastic memories of him in a Rovers shirt. Whenever I remember Tugay I smile as it reminds me of the real Blackburn Rovers, not this HSH infested impostor. The maestro doesn't deserve to be associated with these losers we have behind the scenes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Agree think it has passed us by. Nayambe and Rothwell may be here next year due to options (although TM clearly wants the former gone) and Armstrong will certainly be gone too. That leaves us with a pretty thin squad indeed and a lot of work that needs doing. 

The positive is it doesn't contain a lot of dross so plenty of room for a manager to bring in players that suit the style of play and system we want to have. However if TM is here or gives contracts to Williams, Evans and the like it will be rather clogged and a struggle to move forward. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I really wouldn't want Tugay here under this lot. He is a club legend and there are so many fantastic memories of him in a Rovers shirt. Whenever I remember Tugay I smile as it reminds me of the real Blackburn Rovers, not this HSH infested impostor. The maestro doesn't deserve to be associated with these losers we have behind the scenes.

Yes, & I understand your reasons well. And, if things go wrong under him, we never want to fire the “golden boy”. 

But if he has the desire & the quality to return to his club, it still might be advantageous to look at him. 

I like what I’m reading about Paul Cook. he would surely make the short list.

5 hours ago, Hi Mack said:

I know there’s a big call for tried and tested but I would like to see John Terry given a championship job.

Every appointment comes with its own risk but JT played championship football in his last few years of his career and was ex England captain. Great pedigree.

We've already hade one FKW - No thanks 🤔😉

2 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Yes, & I understand your reasons well. And, if things go wrong under him, we never want to fire the “golden boy”. 

But if he has the desire & the quality to return to his club, it still might be advantageous to look at him. 

I like what I’m reading about Paul Cook. he would surely make the short list.

Tugay will probably be looking higher than us...Galatasaray are always champions league or Europa.  Good idea though.

Cook has something, not universally liked around these parts.  He would do ok in my opinion too.  

26 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Although I’d prefer to get some big name experienced manager if we were to go the gamble route I reckon Michael carrick might be worthy of a go until the end of the season and see if he has what it takes 

why would Carrick leave Man Utd to come here? plus his wages at Utd would be way above what we pay our managers in my opinion

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you not prefer the club to be a little more imaginative, you look where teams like Reading, Brentford, Barnsley, Norwich all getting talented managers from Europe and even Swansea. I appreciate that we have limited knowledge of managers across the world but surely there is more than this to choose from?

Well you have answered your own question with your last comment. I have no idea on who would be available or interested from the overseas manager market but alot of them are head coaches and work in a director of football/sporting director with head coach structure 

I have pick 5 managers who I think would be interested in the role here and we could realistic get if we arent just picking from HSH list

Rowett would surely not be interested

who knows? Do you know he wouldn't be interest in role? do you or some one you know knows Rowett?

Hughes seems a nostalgic pick. 

Hughes stock has drop alot from his 1st time here but if he is up for the challenge and getting us back to PL days. Plus if he is going to bring Bowen in as number 2 then I think it could work out positive for us

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

who knows? Do you know he wouldn't be interest in role? do you or some one you know knows Rowett?

We know he's at a club higher than us in the table. I doubt he'd leave for basket case owners like ours.

We'll end up getting another from the scrapheap.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Other names are:

Wasn't Pulis linked to the Rovers job before Bowyer was appointed permanent in that summer? 

After reading the Sheffield Wednesday chairman's comments about Pulis plus the way he managing his teams I wouldn't be in favour of him myself. 

Agree on Cooper. 

Maybe Robins could be viable option on replacing Mowbray. 

`I wouldn't be surprise if Bellamy was a viable option to come here. 

Are they any managers that are on HSH books we don't know about? 

I remember when Coyle was here but before Mowbray arrived there were whispers about Paul Jewell. I remember being at Rotherham January 2017 time in the pub and there was talk he was being lined up to come in. 

Then when you see the HSH 'selection' it starts to make sense.

Honeyman a lifelong Middlesbrough fan. Coincidence? I think not.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wasn't Pulis linked to the Rovers job before Bowyer was appointed permanent in that summer? 

After reading the Sheffield Wednesday chairman's comments about Pulis plus the way he managing his teams I wouldn't be in favour of him myself. 

Agree on Cooper. 

Maybe Robins could be viable option on replacing Mowbray. 

`I wouldn't be surprise if Bellamy was a viable option to come here. 

Are they any managers that are on HSH books we don't know about? 

Pulis is another one found to be fraudulent and deceitful by The High Court, so he'll need the Rovers job to pay back the £6 million.

Meanwhile, Craig Honeyman of HSH says "you need to be honest and honourable"...

SEM/HSH OUT....

• Like 2

I know he’s probably hated here, but Appleton doing a fantastic job at Lincoln City. In all likelihood, they will be promoted to Championship. 

Another former Rovers’ coach, Darren Moore, has Doncaster in the playoff places. 

I still think if the owners want promotion, they need to make Benitez an offer. He wasn’t afraid to manage Newcastle when they were in the Championship. 

I would prefer any of these three over the usual cast of characters who surface when any job is mentioned. 

• Like 1

The way I see it there are 3 paths you can go down for the next appointment.

The first path is bringing in an experienced pair of hands who has had success at this level or above before. For this the names that immediately spring to mind are Pearson, Hughes, Wagner, Pulis and Jokanovic.

The second path is going down the foreign route as the likes of Norwich, Reading, Barnsley and Brentford have all successfully done. I don't know enough about overseas football to suggest any particular names here although given the way he spoke about us as a club after we played them the Reading manager might be a realistic target.

The third path is a younger manager who may not bring immediate success but who would be capable of building a team that can get promotion as come the start of next season a rebuild is going to be needed after this hugely disappointing season. The names that spring to mind here are the likes of Danny Cowley, Nathan Jones, Michael Flynn, Darren Moore or Alex Neil.