BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Yer totally agree there. Assume they never had this set up before because they wanted their agent friends to be allowed to run the joint and skim off the top to line their own pockets.

Venkys approach has so far failed more often than it has succeeded and none have gotten us close to where we need to be.

I'm not sure why Cheston did a proper job only to be overruled and his approach might very well have gotten us promotion. Warnock would have easily been our best manager under Venkys, instead they appointed our second worst (K**n was the worst)

Honestly I have no idea why they get into bed with one agency and just use them for one of the most important positions at the club.

Lunacy but its no surprise, as Venkys are abysmal owners and just because they keep the lights on it doesn't get them off the hook. 

It;s seem that after the Shebby/Shaw mess they trusted HSH sports agency to find the new manager. 

Will they again? I don't know. 

Only one name from HSH list that we seen posted stand out apart from Steve Cooper and that is Mark Robins from Coventry. Wouldnt be keen on Pulis after his time at Sheffield Wednesday

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

They pull the plug and we go into administration. Then administators run the club and seek a buyer. 

The only circumstances in which we "don't have a club" are if nobody in the world steps forward to buy it.

Portsmouth, Leeds, Leicester, Wigan, Bradford, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Southampton have all been in administration and survived.

Anyone other than Bury not done?

We do not owe our existence to Venkys and they are not benefiting the club with their presence. Shame because they could with the money they spend but its their choice not to run it properly so no sympathy there.

I'm off to buy a house, smash it to pieces and make it derelict but I'm sure the neighbours will thank me for paying my mortgage on time.

But look at how long Wigan has been in administration for over 6 months and yet to find a buyer. 

Any new owner would need to finds 20 million pounds to run the club a season. Is any potential owner willing to fund the club a season? I dont know. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

Manager's get sacked for a reason. Chesterfield passed on Mowbray for a reason. It's my belief that we'd be promoted were any of the 5 appointed now.

I've no vested interest in Cowley. I didn't even spell his name correctly. Of the 5, I'd go for Frank Lampard. You may have other possibilities in mind.

Lampard would certainly attract players to the club and Rovers would be in the press headlines again because of his name.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Someone like that though who uses the youth, well connected for loans and is hungry and wants to take us somewhere rather than some old bod wanting another pay day. 

I agree with this Dom. 

A manager who will bring through our own players from Academy and can use the transfer market probably. 

Danny Cowley and David Artell would fit that bill for me if we arent using the HSH list to pick from. If we are then Coventry manager Mark Robins is the obvious one in my opinion apart from Steve Cooper

4 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Lots of good names, but we're not focussing on one name we can coalesce around. It can't be someone on HSH's books. We want an end to the malign SEM/Kentaro influence on our club. Perhaps a poll?

My top 5, in no particular order:

Cowell, Danny

Hughes, Mark

Pearson, Nigel

Lampard., Frank

Wagner, David

Any of the above a MASSIVE upgrade.

Like going from a broken Atari 2600 to a brand new PS5.

• Like 2

The Cowley one excites me more than any other of the names linked. I worry that people like Hughes and Pearson would be over the hill and not really relish or value the opportunity at Rovers, whereas for Cowley we would be the biggest and best job of his career to date. He would value the opportunity and embrace it.

I didn't watch his Lincoln side so don't know the details but the stats are incredible even in the Football League and include two promotions, a cup win and reaching the FA Cup QFs as a non league club.

I'd be hesitant if he hadn't taken the step into Championship management but he has and was successful in that job - guiding a basket case sinking ship out of relegation trouble. He didn't lose his job due to failing or poor results but because Huddersfield wanted to deploy a 'head coach' structure which he wasn't prepared to work in. Here he would be left to get on with it (assuming Venkys persist with the operation of the club as it is).

I like what I read and hear and think it would be an astute move. Available, worked at this level and below, successful everywhere he has been, still very young and up and coming in management. I've also always liked him after dumping Burnley out of the Cup.

Sadly I've probably done more analysis in the 4 paragraphs above than Waggott would do from start to finish in a managerial 'search'.

I wouldn't expect any better than Nigel Adkins or Tony Pulis, or Venus/Jonno. Pulis is with the right agent and will be after a job after the Wednesday fiasco, Adkins was closely linked after Coyle was axed.

Both will throw themselves at the job and will be easy obvious appointments to make.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Cowley seems a good shout. And he would probably walk here to get the job

I'd like the club to be ambitious and get a Lampard or a Benitez but I can't help thinking we need a manager who walks through Ewood, sees the pictures of Dalglish, Shearer, Sherwood, Souness, Andy Cole and Jack Walker and gets a chill down their spine that great things have happened here and the desire to experience that themselves.

Listening to Mowbray you get the feeling he's doing us a favour. Same with Lambert if I'm honest.

• Like 6

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I wouldn't expect any better than Nigel Adkins or Tony Pulis, or Venus/Jonno. Pulis is with the right agent and will be after a job after the Wednesday fiasco, Adkins was closely linked after Coyle was axed.

Both will throw themselves at the job and will be easy obvious appointments to make.

I actually think Pulis could do a solid job with us, basically a budget Big Sam for what has become a budget Blackburn Rovers. No doubt he would cause some major fan divide in the same way Allardyce did, though, so whether that's really what we need is debatable. Question marks over whether he could get us into promotion contention but I think he'd improve on Mowbray somewhat in terms of results, if not playing style. 

Adkins did a solid enough job at Hull but has been out of the game for nearly two years and hasn't had any serious success in some time. Not convinced he'd be able to get us any further than Mowbray. Definitely wouldn't be an ambitious appointment by any stretch of the imagination and would signal we are looking to stay where we are rather than climb out of this league. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DE. said:

I actually think Pulis could do a solid job with us, basically a budget Big Sam for what has become a budget Blackburn Rovers. No doubt he would cause some major fan divide in the same way Allardyce did, though, so whether that's really what we need is debatable. Question marks over whether he could get us into promotion contention but I think he'd improve on Mowbray somewhat in terms of results, if not playing style. 

Adkins did a solid enough job at Hull but has been out of the game for nearly two years and hasn't had any serious success in some time. Not convinced he'd be able to get us any further than Mowbray. Definitely wouldn't be an ambitious appointment by any stretch of the imagination and would signal we are looking to stay where we are rather than climb out of this league. 

Adkins would be Mowbray mark 2. Competent and would keep us up but not good enough to haul us higher. Frustratingly inconsistent with positives but annoyingly optimistic and positive in everything he does. Nice bloke but not ruthless enough.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Adkins would be Mowbray mark 2. Competent and would keep us up but not good enough to haul us higher. Frustratingly inconsistent with positives but annoyingly optimistic and positive in everything he does. Nice bloke but not ruthless enough.

I tend to agree. There's a possibility for a small initial uptick with a new manager bounce and players performing above their usual level to try and impress, but I get the feeling that would fade fairly quickly and we'd be right back where we are now.

If we want to go up the next appointment simply has to be ambitious and a little risky - and I'm not talking Henning Berg or Owen Coyle risky, but rather a manager who doesn't necessarily conform to the Bowyer/Mowbray 'nice guy' standard. I wouldn't necessarily be in favour of a John Terry style appointment either as I don't think this job is suited for a novice manager due to our unorthodox structure which sees the manager oversee practically everything at the club, but I do feel we need somebody who could come in with a serious plan to shake the club out of its slumber. It was briefly attempted with Lambert but ended quickly as he was clearly unable or unwilling to work under the Venky structure - although perhaps that was for the best considering how he fared after leaving us. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I don’t get the Frank Lampard vibe...he took 6th placed Derby County to 6th place after bringing in 9 signings...

6ECE827C-668A-4962-9362-4E0629BBEA9B.jpeg

AA05D81D-75AE-465A-88F8-0F2A2EA51049.jpeg

One point more in Lampards season though.

Imagine that under Mowbray, it would be hailed as fantastic progress.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

One point more in Lampards season though.

Imagine that under Mowbray, it would be hailed as fantastic progress.

He didn't do a terrible job at Chelsea for a young manager. Massive job and high expectations but he did take them to the FA cup final and finish fourth in his first season.

An experienced player who has worked with lots of different coaches you'd imagine some of it would have rubbed off. I can't help thinking a lower league club will benefit massively someday.