BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

5 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

There is this stupid thing on Instagram called 'brains of Brockhall' where the team answer quiz questions all around Rovers and our next opponents - as you'd expect, they're all pretty thick. 

Anyway, Gallagher was on the last one and introduced himself as "a striker... or a winger, apparently" or something similar, to which he laughed and there were a couple of laughs in the background. I read it as he knows he's being played our of position and it's a bit of a joke. 

I do wonder if splits are getting bigger and eventually something will have to give. One can only hope. 

I said pretty much the exact same as this the other day. Search my posts and you will find it. 

• Like 2

I have zero doubts that Mowbray has taken us as far as he can and needs to go. But the Venkys are my biggest concern. Yet the propaganda rag the LET would have us believe the Venkys have learnt, time to forgive and forget, but reading miller’s post it would appear the relationship with an agency that destroyed the club still very much endures.

We are in a right old mess. Mowbray blames the players, we all blame Mowbray/Swag. But all roads lead back to the halfwits in Pune towers.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say there is a split too, but not in the way you say. I think something changed during the Bristol city game. Armstrong went on a one man mission to not pass the ball, ever since then we have seemed slower to pass the ball forward. I think some of the players fell out with him and lost some faith that night. Our attacking play has been so lame since. 

I think some of the players think its stupid Gallagher plays right wing. They see Holtby starting and coming on ahead of Davenport and they probably think that's unfair. 

You could see last night they weren't a team. We don't know know, but something has changed over the last few games. 

Not his biggest fan either, but i think its a bit of a leap to shoehorn Bennett in for criticism at this point! 

When teams are playing badly, results aren't coming etc. You often see a team that looks divided, rifts between players.

Won't be any different with us. I'd wager some players still by into Mowbrays style/tactics and some don't anymore. Probably the reason why some of the players were jogging around like they were playing in a testimonial last night. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, frosty said:

I agree that - if we were a normal club - we should think outside the box rather than appoint somebody who got promoted from the Championship about ten years ago but is now on the scrapheap. 

It’d have to be more obscure than someone like De Zerbi though. He’s currently sat in the Champions League places in Serie A. His next job will be a big Italian club rather than following on from Mid-table Mogga. It’d have to be someone more obscure but still promising. I’d love to make a foreign appointment and have somebody with completely fresh ideas rather than Mowbray getting muddled trying to work out whether it’s Sheffield United, Leeds or the latest flavour of the month whose approach he’d like to copy. 

The team being in such poor form, ideally we’d be looking at smaller European leagues or second divisions in the larger European countries looking for potential managers. Shame we’re not normal and, as you say, he’s here for the foreseeable and we’ll just keep on plodding away. 

How will getting lower level foreign managers pan out with Brexit ? I think you can forget that. I read yesterday that they must be able to speak good English,

Fully agree with those suggesting Bilic, Jokanovic, Wagner, Pearson, Hughes etc. Always said I'd like a Roy Keane style hurricane through that dressing room as it's been easy street for years but it's hard to ignore his recent failings.

As a leftfield and probably more realistic suggestion, Derek Adams at Morecambe is doing an unbelievable job with very little. Also get the added bonus of him bringing the prodigal son home with him to solve our goalscoring issues, come on home Jordan Slew.

I really think the best thing for all parties is for Tony to move upstairs in a director of football role, like King Kenny did, hopefully with better results. His recruitment has been decent, and his link to the owners has been the best so far of any of the managers so far. He does provide some stability, and can head up the scouting and recruitment department. We need a fresh, more modern manager in the dugout. 
I think Ainsworth would work his socks off for us, and I like his hair.

• Like 4

Moving Mowbray upstairs would surely be massively counter productive even if he was willing to swallow his pride and agree to it. We are stagnant and starting to regress, we need a new voice and new ideas. We dont need the old manager lingering upstairs getting in the way. His recruitment has been mixed at best, some undoubted huge successes, some expensive curiosities, a lorry load of signings who have contributed very little, and the repeated negligence towards the same issue in an inbalanced squad.

• Like 2

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Moving Mowbray upstairs would surely be massively counter productive even if he was willing to swallow his pride and agree to it. We are stagnant and starting to regress, we need a new voice and new ideas. We dont need the old manager lingering upstairs getting in the way. His recruitment has been mixed at best, some undoubted huge successes, some expensive curiosities, a lorry load of signings who have contributed very little, and the repeated negligence towards the same issue in an inbalanced squad.

Not to mention new contracts for the likes of Mulgrew and Smallwood which turned out to be very costly as within a year of each we wanted them gone but couldn't find anybody to pay their ridiculous wages. I'd put Evans in the same category tbh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not to mention new contracts for the likes of Mulgrew and Smallwood which turned out to be very costly as within a year of each we wanted them gone but couldn't find anybody to pay their ridiculous wages. I'd put Evans in the same category tbh.

I'd class his transfer dealings as pretty poor - 3 or 4 out of 10 at the most.

• Like 2

I'm sure this will divide opinion but the more I analyse the potential positive factors he could bring to the role, I genuinely think John Terry could be a very good forward thinking appointment. Obviously there's serious question marks as to whether he'd take the role (although he has stated he wants to become a manager) and the fact he's never managed before.

However the career he's had would surely instantly gain the respect and grasp the attention of the dressing room. 

He's clearly had a massive positive impact/influence on the way Villa have drastically improved defensively. Surely he could get the best out of Ayala and address the alarming decline of Lenihan. 

I'm not a massive fan of loaning players especially with the academy we have that is clearly capable of producing players for this level. But you only have to look at the players Lampard managed to get at Derby and realise that could be a great option for us.

In an ideal world we go out and get a proven manager at this level and give him the tools to achieve promotion. Unfortunately that's never happening at Rovers. There's no doubt in my mind that it's time for a new voice to lead this underperforming group of players. It clearly comes with an element of risk, but I think Terry with an experienced number two could be a good move for us.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd class his transfer dealings as pretty poor - 3 or 4 out of 10 at the most.

Yep, Armstrong/ Dack obviously, Tosin/Elliott loans which won't leave us in any better position than before they arrived, and Reed who he wasted.

The rest, fairly dire.

10 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

I'm sure this will divide opinion but the more I analyse the potential positive factors he could bring to the role, I genuinely think John Terry could be a very good forward thinking appointment. Obviously there's serious question marks as to whether he'd take the role (although he has stated he wants to become a manager) and the fact he's never managed before.

However the career he's had would surely instantly gain the respect and grasp the attention of the dressing room. 

He's clearly had a massive positive impact/influence on the way Villa have drastically improved defensively. Surely he could get the best out of Ayala and address the alarming decline of Lenihan. 

I'm not a massive fan of loaning players especially with the academy we have that is clearly capable of producing players for this level. But you only have to look at the players Lampard managed to get at Derby and realise that could be a great option for us.

In an ideal world we go out and get a proven manager at this level and give him the tools to achieve promotion. Unfortunately that's never happening at Rovers. There's no doubt in my mind that it's time for a new voice to lead this underperforming group of players. It clearly comes with an element of risk, but I think Terry with an experienced number two could be a good move for us.

The two aspects to the argument that I struggle to agree with are firstly that him being a defender will mean that he can automatically fix our defence, Tony Mowbray is a great example that there is a world of difference between being a good/great defender and organising a good defence as a manager. I also dont feel comfortable with forcing management teams and shoehorning people together, if we was to go down the route of John Terry, he should choose his own team.

To be fair, the Championship recently has perhaps proved that there are various methods from which route to go down. Barnsley and Reading have made brilliant appointments from abroad, if we was a normal functioning club then we would have to look abroad. There is also the tried and tested manager route which always has to be at the forefront of a decision, someone like Warnock (obviously not available now) or maybe a Pearson would naturally be a very logical choice. I am very surprised to see how much of an improvement that Wayne Rooney has overseen at Derby too, an innovative young manager would need to be studied but can sometimes be very rewarding.

48 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I really think the best thing for all parties is for Tony to move upstairs in a director of football role, like King Kenny did, hopefully with better results. His recruitment has been decent, and his link to the owners has been the best so far of any of the managers so far. He does provide some stability, and can head up the scouting and recruitment department. We need a fresh, more modern manager in the dugout. 
I think Ainsworth would work his socks off for us, and I like his hair.

Worst possible idea.

We need to rid the Club of this holiday club mentality of doing the bare minimum.

Plus as I posted above I think his recruitment has in general been extremely poor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Worst possible idea.

We need to rid the Club of this holiday club mentality of doing the bare minimum.

Plus as I posted above I think his recruitment has in general been extremely poor.

I think the " Holiday Camp - Minimum Effort is OK " mentality set in under Kean and none of the subsequent managers have managed to eradicate it.

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

We are in a right old mess. Mowbray blames the players, we all blame Mowbray/Swag. But all roads lead back to the halfwits in Pune towers.  

Too true.

All Roads do indeed lead back to the root cause of our problems..our absent,detached and clueless ownership.

We are still dysfunctional on so many levels.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The two aspects to the argument that I struggle to agree with are firstly that him being a defender will mean that he can automatically fix our defence, Tony Mowbray is a great example that there is a world of difference between being a good/great defender and organising a good defence as a manager. I also dont feel comfortable with forcing management teams and shoehorning people together, if we was to go down the route of John Terry, he should choose his own team.

To be fair, the Championship recently has perhaps proved that there are various methods from which route to go down. Barnsley and Reading have made brilliant appointments from abroad, if we was a normal functioning club then we would have to look abroad. There is also the tried and tested manager route which always has to be at the forefront of a decision, someone like Warnock (obviously not available now) or maybe a Pearson would naturally be a very logical choice. I am very surprised to see how much of an improvement that Wayne Rooney has overseen at Derby too, an innovative young manager would need to be studied but can sometimes be very rewarding.

Appreciate where you're coming from and I accept it's only a small sample of work to go off, but it's clear to see he's had a positive impact on Villa defensively. Mowbray's track record defensively as a manager is pretty awful and that's being polite. Celtic, Coventry and Boro fans will vouch for that. 

Completely agree that any manager should be allowed to bring their own team in with them. Personally I would prefer an inexperienced manager to bring in an older head but wouldn't say it's a necessity. Lampard reached a play off final with Jody Norris alongside him and as you say, Rooney has surprisingly started well with the relatively inexperienced coaches Liam Rosenior and Shay Given alongside him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I think hypothetically Terry is a very  interesting suggestion. No idea whether or not he could automatically cure the defence on the basis he was a superlative defender but he doesnt strike me us someone who would accept second best or players playing well for a few games then going through the motions for a few more after that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think the " Holiday Camp - Minimum Effort is OK " mentality set in under Kean and none of the subsequent managers have managed to eradicate it.

I actually think it set in under Allardyce and his ethos of prioritising games.

Works for him and ok if you're in survival mode but not good if you're targeting a promotion.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Worst possible idea.

No f@cking chance this season ..its not just Rovers with this mentality ..its every club in the land!

Look at the crazy results from PL down ..(Liverpool conceding 7 Utd 6) ..players are simply not arsed ..no crowds to get on their back ..no nothing.

This footie  season aint a true reflection what so ever.

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

No f@cking chance this season ..its not just Rovers with this mentality ..its every club in the land!

Look at the crazy results from PL down ..(Liverpool conceding 7 Utd 6) ..players are simply not arsed ..no crowds to get on their back ..no nothing.

This footie  season aint a true reflection what so ever.

Liverpool are still top though.