BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gordon Strachan? 

Hughes and Cowley should be the 1st 2 targets. 

Hughes with Bowen and Bellamy on the coaching staff would be very good management team for us going forward

Hmmm. Hughes coming back.... not sure the hungers there. Coming back rarely works out. Not sure about it. Also could really see a Lambert situation where he just can't handle the Venky circus and walks after a few months.

Cowley brothers decent shout. 

Neither of those really make you think we will definitely improve our chances of being promoted though. Not a Bielsa, Hughton or a Warnock. But then there are very few in that category...

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure about Mark Hughes, he was great first time around but I think maybe his day has gone.

I think that's what people said about Mick McCarthy and Warnock. It's said about Pearson, too, to a lesser extent. Bristol City couldn't win and Pearson wins in his first match in charge. That's the turnaround we need. Whatever the result of tonight's game, we'll be 16th come 10pm. We could find ourselves level on points with Huddersfield and only 2 points ahead of Coventry.

I think Venkys can leave the CEO position vacant until the summer. There's Cheston who could take on the responsibilities of the job and it's not like it carries any real weight, anyway.

I dont understand this suggestion or theory that Venkys are effectively being held to ransom by Waggott threatening to leave immediately if Mowbray gets potted.

It seems to be reminiscent of the rogue Shaw period where they are unable to act due to an employee being untouchable.

Remember that Waggott only arrived in late 2017. So who was doing all these essential jobs of his before then?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I dont understand this suggestion or theory that Venkys are effectively being held to ransom by Waggott threatening to leave immediately if Mowbray gets potted.

It seems to be reminiscent of the rogue Shaw period where they are unable to act due to an employee being untouchable.

Remember that Waggott only arrived in late 2017. So who was doing all these essential jobs of his before then?

I honestly think if Waggott wanted the manager sacked, he could definitely facilitate it happening. So keeping Mowbray there now, is on him. At the end of the day he is the CEO. I just can't buy he gets no say. 

27 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I think that's what people said about Mick McCarthy and Warnock. It's said about Pearson, too, to a lesser extent. Bristol City couldn't win and Pearson wins in his first match in charge. That's the turnaround we need. Whatever the result of tonight's game, we'll be 16th come 10pm. We could find ourselves level on points with Huddersfield and only 2 points ahead of Coventry.

I think Venkys can leave the CEO position vacant until the summer. There's Cheston who could take on the responsibilities of the job and it's not like it carries any real weight, anyway.

With Warnock and McCarthy though they are committed to being promotion focussed Championship managers.

I think Hughes thinks he is better than that level. I just don't think he would be that motivated.

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

With Warnock and McCarthy though they are committed to being promotion focussed Championship managers.

I think Hughes thinks he is better than that level. I just don't think he would be that motivated.

McCarthy was focussed on keeping Ipswich in the Championship. Cardiff represents an opportunity to show what he can do.

I don't know where this idea comes from that Hughes thinks he's above this level or wouldn't be motivated comes from. When we appointed Hughes, he was manager of Wales. He'd never managed in the Premier League. I don't doubt that he'd be motivated to get us promoted back to the Premier League.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No reason the Reading manager would leave there to come here though, that I can see. Unfortunately. 

Other than being a Rovers fan (not in the same way as Gareth Ainsworth, but he waxed lyrical about us and our history prior to them playing us at Ewood this season, way in excess of what you would normally expect in terms of platitudes from opposition managers).

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Other than being a Rovers fan (not in the same way as Gareth Ainsworth, but he waxed lyrical about us and our history prior to them playing us at Ewood this season, way in excess of what you would normally expect in terms of platitudes from opposition managers).

I don't know if he is an actual fan 🙂 They are higher in the league, have a better squad and a bigger budget. I still don't see why he would leave there to come here. I would take him though. 

I'd still like to understand:-

Who interviewed and decided upon Owen Coyle

Who interviewed and decided upon Tony Mowbray.

If we are apparently pulling all of our managers from the same pond, why did Cheston bother interviewing Warnock? Who gave approval to interview Warnock?

Life was so simple when the board either identified a manager or received applications for a job. They just interviewed the candidates and picked who they thought was the best one.

The reason I can't see any change happening is because Venkys don't have anyone in place who can manage the process. It's too much hassle.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure about Mark Hughes, he was great first time around but I think maybe his day has gone.

A couple of years ago I would have avoided Hughes. But a few years out of the game to evaluate whats worked and what hasnt....Id think hed be worth another go. Hed also speak his own mind...whether that would go down well with the current setup in not sure. 

Also impossible to be any worse than the current bunch.

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'd still like to understand:-

Who interviewed and decided upon Owen Coyle

Who interviewed and decided upon Tony Mowbray.

If we are apparently pulling all of our managers from the same pond, why did Cheston bother interviewing Warnock? Who gave approval to interview Warnock?

Life was so simple when the board either identified a manager or received applications for a job. They just interviewed the candidates and picked who they thought was the best one.

The reason I can't see any change happening is because Venkys don't have anyone in place who can manage the process. It's too much hassle.

That should be what your CEO/Chairman does, but we all know Waggot is part of the problem. Club needs a makeover from top to bottom but Venkys need a respectable football advisor before that happens. We all saw what happened when Anderson was "advising"

• Like 1

What is depressing is that Venkys have made it so that it would be nigh on impossible to attract the manager of Barnsley.

Barnsley are building a good young, balanced team and are right in play off contention.

The thing is that Barnsley and numerous teams found these talented managers, we should be able to cut out the middle man.

Hughes is purely a nostalgic suggestion based on 15 years ago, in a different league under different owners. Has many stains on his CV since too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What is depressing is that Venkys have made it so that it would be nigh on impossible to attract the manager of Barnsley.

Barnsley are building a good young, balanced team and are right in play off contention.

The thing is that Barnsley and numerous teams found these talented managers, we should be able to cut out the middle man.

Hughes is purely a nostalgic suggestion based on 15 years ago, in a different league under different owners. Has many stains on his CV since too.

Yeah the Hughes talk baffles me. Just last week there were loads of his former QPR players coming out slating him for his attitude and demeanour towards them, hardly what a young team like ours needs. And he didn't pull up many trees while at QPR in terms of performance on the pitch, scraped survival and got sacked not long into the following season. 

And don't even get me started on the likes of Sven and Gordan Strachan, I'd rather keep Mowbray and I really don't want him here anymore

My worry with Hughes is not just the negatives on his CV but how long it has been since something positive. Time makes a hell of a difference. 

Contrast with Pearson's good work at Watford, McCarthy at Ipswich and Warnock at Cardiff and Rotherham all of them had recent - as in the last few seasons - successes on their CV before taking their latest role. 

That said we are getting to the point where any manager would be better simply by not playing loco-coco formations and seeing what batnuts position they can find for Elliott Dack or Gally. 

Good thread though. Made me think about some different candidates.