BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

For Hughes at Stoke, it went stale to the point of them looking like they were going to get relegated, but he did a good job there overall - three consecutive 9th placed finishes, then a 13th placed finish which admittedly was a drop-off and must have carried on into the following season.

As we're seeing with ourselves at the moment, four full seasons is a long time for a manager to stay at a club these days, so it can happen that it goes stale and you end up regressing.

But he did a good job there overall and the 'only' blemishes on Hughes' CV should be QPR and Southampton IMO. He even kept both of those up initially but the following half-seasons he had at both were a disaster. 

He'd be on my list somewhere.

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

McCarthy was focussed on keeping Ipswich in the Championship. Cardiff represents an opportunity to show what he can do.

I don't know where this idea comes from that Hughes thinks he's above this level or wouldn't be motivated comes from. When we appointed Hughes, he was manager of Wales. He'd never managed in the Premier League. I don't doubt that he'd be motivated to get us promoted back to the Premier League.

I think since he went to Man City he's had a chip on his shoulder. Walked out of Fulham after a year and never looked happy at QPR or Stoke even with a lot of resources.

I can't see him stepping down to the Championship, or if he does that he will stick with it. But obviously if he did come he would get all my support and I would be excited to see what he does. Just would have a few question marks.

He’s probably been mentioned, but David Artell is the route I would go down for a manager from the league below. Done wonders at Crewe.

I’d take a punt on Ainsworth too. I think the injection of enthusiasm would be re-invigorating for the fanbase & the players. He hasn’t done too badly this season with a significantly worse squad than we have at our disposal & must have something about him to get Wycombe players playing to a level that saw them end up in the Championship.

A left field shout from me would be Di Matteo.

EDIT.

I am aware it will be more of a Tony Pulis than any of these. 
I would prefer we kept Mowbray than Pulis.

Edited by CheshireRover
  • Like 1

Even the blemishes on Hughes' CV can't hide the fact that he kept both QPR and Southampton up. Whether he'd have done so again, we'll never know.

He's had the time to recharge his batteries. That has to be positive. We aren't going to get a manager with no blemishes on his CV. Venkys haven't recruited a manager who was currently a manager at another club. I don't see that changing this time.

@joey_big_noseThat's the sense I get, too. That Hughes has something to prove. I was surprised Hughes took the QPR job. I reckoned that QPR side had more ego than talent.

So, yes, I can see Hughes 'stepping down' to the Championship - we were the team he did it for as a player - and sticking at it. 

15 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hmmm. Hughes coming back.... not sure the hungers there. Coming back rarely works out. Not sure about it. Also could really see a Lambert situation where he just can't handle the Venky circus and walks after a few months.

Cowley brothers decent shout. 

Neither of those really make you think we will definitely improve our chances of being promoted though. Not a Bielsa, Hughton or a Warnock. But then there are very few in that category...

After he has been out of the game so long I would say the hunger and desire will have come back on Hughes. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What is depressing is that Venkys have made it so that it would be nigh on impossible to attract the manager of Barnsley.

Barnsley are building a good young, balanced team and are right in play off contention.

The thing is that Barnsley and numerous teams found these talented managers, we should be able to cut out the middle man.

Hughes is purely a nostalgic suggestion based on 15 years ago, in a different league under different owners. Has many stains on his CV since too.

How did Barnsley attract him? 

Isn't it down to the recruitment department at Barnsley why they have signed so many decent/good players over the last few seasons? Would the current Barnsley head coach know much about Carlton Morris before they signed him? Do Barnsley have a sporting Director there?

Hughes has a point to prove and he has good job at a number of clubs including Rovers, Stoke and Fulham

1 hour ago, CheshireRover said:

He’s probably been mentioned, but David Artell is the route I would go down for a manager from the league below. Done wonders at Crewe.

I have mention him. He would be good appointment. He would bring through youth players aswell

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

After he has been out of the game so long I would say the hunger and desire will have come back on Hughes. 

How did Barnsley attract him? 

Isn't it down to the recruitment department at Barnsley why they have signed so many decent/good players over the last few seasons? Would the current Barnsley head coach know much about Carlton Morris before they signed him? Do Barnsley have a sporting Director there?

Hughes has a point to prove and he has good job at a number of clubs including Rovers, Stoke and Fulham

I have mention him. He would be good appointment. He would bring through youth players aswell

Owen Coyle had a point to prove, not sure that is relevant.

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Are you having a laugh? Comparing Hughes to Coyle Managerial coaching career is chalk and cheese. 

If you dont want Hughes fair enough but some of us do. 

No answers to the questions I posed about Barnsley and their recruitment process there?

15 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Cook is going to Ipswich now the takeover is nearly done

who buying Ipswich?

Edited by chaddyrovers

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure what point that was. He never looked like he was trying to prove a point. Always said we weren't in a relegation battle, even though we were.

Mowbray's gone from suits to tracksuit on the sidelines. Should have kept the same tracksuit top with the initials OC on them. We're as Off Course now, as much as we always were under the 'outstanding candidate'.

45 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

A group of Americans it’s in the athletic today

Can't be right. Ipswich in League One and a Town club millions in debt.

Nobody would buy such a club, so they would have us believe.

Evans is walking away from £100 million in loans to Ipswich. That's what Venkys would have to do with their £200 million.

• Like 5

• Backroom

I can see Hughes, on an admittedly fairly low level, wanting to prove he can do it. Where better than to revisit the place where almost everything went right apart from Bruno Berner?

Plus he can point to minimal spend on a squad, provided he'd be willing to work with those restrictions.

Time out of the game might refresh his mind in such a way.

Whether it's about the job or not, I simply don't know. My suspicion is DoF type role with a relative novice manager. Purely my speculation.

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mark Hughes over the last few years for some reason has gained a reputation as a failure but honestly for me that is very harsh, in a full season he has only once finished outside the top half. We all know what an excellent job he did of course did at Rovers but since then his record is still very respectable. At City he had to deal with the take over happening in his first season where he finished 10th which at the time was a respectable finish for then the following year he was sacked with them finishing 5th in the league. Also at City he signed 2 stalwarts of their successes to come in Zabaleta and Kompany.

At Fulham he had one season where he finished 8th which is Fulham's second highest ever finish in the Premiership. At QPR he took them over in a relegation battle and kept them up. The following season didn't go well and was probably the first real struggle of his career but things got no better there when Redknapp went in. 

At Stoke he had 3 successive 9th place finishes and then a 13th placed finish. The following season he left with them in a relegation battle, he more than likely would have saved them given his record and what has happened to them since sacking him shows that the decision was probably a mistake. Even in his last job at Southampton he took on a team in a relegation battle that had just 1 win in 17 and he kept them up, then he was sacked early into the following season.

I think that any Championship club would be extremely lucky to have Mark Hughes as manager.

Any reason why in three years no ones took him on ? Lots of Championship sides have shifted their manager ? Hughes no interest in Championship ? 

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Any reason why in three years no ones took him on ? Lots of Championship sides have shifted their manager ? Hughes no interest in Championship ? 

He probably thinks he is deserving of a Premiership job. But these days a manager like Hughes who is British and plays pragmatic football rarely gets a Premier League job. And for some reason there seems to be a bit rewriting of history and Hughes has been painted as bad manager. 

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He probably thinks he is deserving of a Premiership job. But these days a manager like Hughes who is British and plays pragmatic football rarely gets a Premier League job. And for some reason there seems to be a bit rewriting of history and Hughes has been painted as bad manager. 

I dont think its a case of being painted as a bad manager although his record aint great albeit in the PL its possibly the fact he s not managed in the Championship which is a totally different kettle of fish  with limited funds .Walking away from Fulham whilst still in the PL for better things probably says more about Hughes than his actual managerial record.

52 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

I dont think its a case of being painted as a bad manager although his record aint great albeit in the PL its possibly the fact he s not managed in the Championship which is a totally different kettle of fish  with limited funds .Walking away from Fulham whilst still in the PL for better things probably says more about Hughes than his actual managerial record.

I haven't checked Hughes' record as manager, but I suspect you're gaslighting him. Hughes acknowledged that he shouldn't have walked away from Fulham. I think he'll still see himself as an ambitious manager.

Take a gander at the top five teams in our division. None of their managers had managed in English league football before taking up their appointments.

Wolves brought in a manager from Portugal, got promoted and have been there ever since. Leeds went and sourced Bielsa, a top manager whom nobody would have thought would be interested in our Championship. 

Your view of the Championship is outdated. Mark Hughes wants a club whose owners' ambition matches his own. Do you think our owners ambition matches his?

Edited by Richard Oakley

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

It’s a great point but that’s probably only half of the question.

The other half is, do our owners wage expectations match his?

They've proven that they've no problem paying money out.

The sticking point with any manager would be what backing they'd receive after the Lord Mayor's show. Mowbray has squandered millions - are they going to back the next guy, or do they want a Bowen?

9 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

I haven't checked Hughes' record as manager, but I suspect you're gaslighting him. Hughes acknowledged that he shouldn't have walked away from Fulham. I think he'll still see himself as an ambitious manager.

Take a gander at the top five teams in our division. None of their managers had managed in English league football before taking up their appointments.

Wolves brought in a manager from Portugal, got promoted and have been there ever since. Leeds went and sourced Bielsa, a top manager whom nobody would have thought would be interested in our Championship. 

Your view of the Championship is outdated. Mark Hughes wants a club whose owners' ambition matches his own. Do you think our owners ambition matches his?

You re right ..Hughes probably does see himself as an ambitious manager and thats the point im making .. i think he would only consider a PL job. Hence walking away from 'little old Fulham' ..which back fired straight away. I also said he didnt have a bad record, its more Hughes' own thought in where he stands in the managerial pecking order..  ..so hardly 'gaslighting'.

He maybe needs to lower his sights a bit. As for Bielsa and Nuno they came into English football and had to start  at Championship level and did superb. Hughes maybe  thinks hes already done his apprenticeship with managing only PL clubs . Anyway hes certainly back looking for work ..never off TV along with Cowley, Monk and Poyet recently, all putting themselves back in the shop window.

As for our owners matching Hughes ' ambitions.. simple answer ..no.