BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Good old Derek Shaw got his way with the Appleton appointment and we ended up paying compo.  Although Crappley - like that other toss pot who'd never heard of his agent - claimed self representation.

I think we all know that's bollocks and Shaw was another on the tantric christmas card list.  Nice work by the Preston shyster whilst he was here he upset Blackpool, got his puppet into Rovers and all on the back of costing the club 2.5 million for Bergs 5 mins in charge.

Then he sued the owners on leaving, also hung around like a bad smell until Rhodes had left. Another deal he was thought to be heavily involved in when JR was prised from Huddersfield.

Fair to say i don't send my best regards to that scumbag.  

R u referring to Appleton or Shaw as the scumbag?

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't think you can just do that or everyone who ever wanted to leave a contract would just resign and then sign with someone else.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/8389166/Blackburn-set-to-name-Michael-Appleton-as-new-boss-after-agreeing-compensation-package-with-Blackpool

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Doubt there would be a big loophole like that to enable clubs to wriggle out of paying compensation. Unless Derek Shaw was involved in drawing up the contract, obviously. 

Yer that makes sense.

What benefit does he get from resigning then?

The Who could we get better than Mowbray game has just seen tried and tested experience in McCarthy and Pearson pass by both of whom were available and looking for work all season. Cardiff and Bristol proactive and decisive and got their men. Now they reap the rewards.

Like him or loathe him (I'm the latter) Paul Cook is another available, experienced contender who would jump at the Rovers job with success everywhere he's been that is passing by, now heading to Ipswich.

I'm afraid we are running out of options. So frustrating when there were so many good ones out there but typical Rovers inertia sees them head off to rivals.

I don't think Mark Hughes is a realistic contender. I don't think he would particularly want the job, he would certainly expect good money and I just don't see it as a realistic option.

We can also forget these chumps going abroad for a new manager.

The only options then are getting towards the Cowley's, Rowett, Neil, Monk, Harris, Pulis before the rookies and lower league options who haven't done the business at this level. 

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think Mark Hughes is a realistic contender. I don't think he would particularly want the job, he would certainly expect good money and I just don't see it as a realistic option.

We can also forget these chumps going abroad for a new manager.

The only options then are getting towards the Cowley's, Rowett, Neil, Monk, Harris, Pulis before the rookies and lower league options who haven't done the business at this level. 

Why isn't Mark Hughes a realistic option?

I wouldn't rate Neil, Monk, Harris and Pulis a step up from Mowbray. The Cowleys could be on Doncaster's radar.

4 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Why isn't Mark Hughes a realistic option?

I wouldn't rate Neil, Monk, Harris and Pulis a step up from Mowbray. The Cowleys could be on Doncaster's radar.

Don't get me wrong. I think for an ambitious, well structured and funded Championship club he would be a realistic option and he would 'step down' to the Championship to re-ignite his career and try to get to the Premier League.

I just think there are too many hurdles to overcome here. I think many managers would love the job here with the freedom and time afforded by Venkys, but there are flaws and I think everything rolled into one would see Hughes avoid it. He needs his next job to be a success and gambling taking a flawed club like Rovers is going to be brave. Not to mention his ego suffering by returning to where it all started for him 17 years on.

If I were running the club I would be putting the feelers out to him - seeing what his plans were, what his demands would be and what staff he would want but we know that won't be happening here at the mad house. If Hughes was expecting a mega budget or big salary I'd move on quite quickly. I wouldn't be getting worked up over him. 

I still think our best bet is on an up and comer and Cowley ticks just about every box on that front. There are others operating in League One and below but they are employed and haven't had important Championship experience let alone promotions by the hatful like Cowley has to date. Yes it was lower down the pyramid but the process is largely the same. 

After all we've just seen Sheffield Wednesday in the bottom 3 appoint their 3rd permanent manager of the season in luring Darren Moore from Doncaster - I'm confident we could have our pick of up and coming managers if we wanted them.

My original preference would have been a Mick McCarthy, Warnock, Hughton or Pearson but we've allowed all 4 to pass us by in the last 12 months on our road to nowhere and all are leaving us behind in the table. 

Other than the possibility of Bruce leaving Newcastle or Wilder from Sheffield United I don't think there are any of those sort available any more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If I were running the club I would be putting the feelers out to him - seeing what his plans were, what his demands would be and what staff he would want but we know that won't be happening here at the mad house. If Hughes was expecting a mega budget or big salary I'd move on quite quickly. I wouldn't be getting worked up over him. 

This paragraph hits the nail right on its head. If there's no interest, move on. If there is, negotiations are likely to be protracted and it takes time to assemble all of the pieces and we'll lose out on others we might have got in sooner, as we have, by delaying, in the past. By the time Venkys decided they wanted to bring in their target, somebody else had signed them up and Venkys decided to persevere with whoever was currently in charge. I believe we can't afford another Lambert walking out on the club because the transfer pot disappeared or other promises didn't materialise.

I agree with you about the Cowleys. I think Doncaster will make them an offer that will take them off the board.

If it sounds like I'm getting worked up, it's because I believe the choice of the next manager is as big as Jack Walker bringing in Dalglish. If he'd brought in somebody else, we might never have been Premier League Founder Members or never have won it.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Everybody talk about Pop Music 

🤣

add Hughes to that list now as well. Just watched him on sky - he seems raring to go.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

it`s an extreme and massively optimistic call but id`e make an enquiry to see if duncan ferguson fancies a crack at management,i know he loves it at  everton but the lure of being the main man can sometimes be to tempting to ignore,he`ll certainly wake this lot up as well,no shirking and no stupid unforced errors in big duncs side,don`t think douglas would last very long😆

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Hughesy on Monday night football tonight looking and sounding refreshed and ready get back into management. 

We should be sounded him out now

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would Mark Hughes be mentioned at all had he not had the previous affiliation (15 years ago) that he does with the club?

Why wouldn't he tho given his years of management experience? 

Yes he loads of club experience and international experience aswell. 

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Wagner

Cowleys

Ainsworth

Flores

Happy with any of them.

Flores? 

Why Wagner? 

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

If it sounds like I'm getting worked up, it's because I believe the choice of the next manager is as big as Jack Walker bringing in Dalglish. If he'd brought in somebody else, we might never have been Premier League Founder Members or never have won it.

I think we are on a knife edge here. As far as I'm concerned Mowbray has done a decent job since getting out of League One but it is clear he's out of ideas and time. 

Three ways it can go from here:

1) Mowbray goes and is replaced with a good manager and the owners enable that manager to do a good job - if that happens and they continue to invest then the PL can be a realistic aim

2) Mowbray goes but they botch the replacement with delay, indecision and a poor appointment or don't allow the next manager funds/time to do the job - if that happens then League One will be a possible outcome.

3) Mowbray doesn't go - League One will be a possible outcome, mid-table Championship the height of our expectations and more fans drift away

I agree it is a big one. I just am not convinced Hughes is the right man for it. IF he was allowed to get on with it, given backing and allowed to bring in his own coaching staff then maybe. But I think the first thing they will do when Mowbray goes is look to preserve the structure he leaves and that means Benson, Lowe, Johnson and maybe even Venus will be kept on if at all possible. Of course that is incompatible with a manager of Hughes' calibre who will want a clean sweep of the coaching staff. 

I think one of the reason's Mowbray got the job in the first place was because he was willing to work with Lowe, Benson and Dunn and since his arrival the only change has been his mate Venus joining and Dunn being demoted back to the u23s.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why Wagner?

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t get Wagner myself 

The bloke took Huddersfield up to the Premier League and kept them up for a season. 
It would be the equivalent to Barnsley doing that now with Ismael.

Huddersfield had come 19th, 17th, 16th and 19th in the 4 seasons prior and before that 9 straight seasons in the 3rd tier. 

Add in working in the Bundesliga and a product of a Dortmund development system, personally he’d be an outrageous upgrade and I’d be delighted.

Far, far superior to the merry-go-round of unimaginative failures I’ve seen suggested like Monk or Rowett

• Like 8

1 hour ago, superniko said:

The bloke took Huddersfield up to the Premier League and kept them up for a season. 
It would be the equivalent to Barnsley doing that now with Ismael.

Huddersfield had come 19th, 17th, 16th and 19th in the 4 seasons prior and before that 9 straight seasons in the 3rd tier. 

Add in working in the Bundesliga and a product of a Dortmund development system, personally he’d be an outrageous upgrade and I’d be delighted.

Far, far superior to the merry-go-round of unimaginative failures I’ve seen suggested like Monk or Rowett

You have seen his schalke record right?

Finally February is over! What a month, from touching distance of top 6 to touching distance of bottom 6.

Totally wasted the past 6 games. Any, any decent manager should get more than what our head coach achieved. Yet he is still hanging around, insisting he's not a burden, unless been told so.

The football is horrible to watch for the past couple of months, tactics are still the same, players blow hot and cold, mainly cold yet. Hopefully in March, the boys can man up on the field, show abit of fight and get some points onboard, before we get sucked into an unexpected relegation battle.

• Like 1