Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The Terry suggestion is interesting, but is potentially an Ince.

Personally reckon (of the older guard), Hughes might be the best option. Works well on modest budgets, and has a record of at least initially shoring up defences.

Admittedly his time here colours my lenses a touch, but it's a relatively sensible suggestion objectively.

If we were going down the untested route, I'd rather see someone like the Cowley brothers, who've at least tasted success lower down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Mark Hughes it boils down to how eager he is to return to management and repair his damaged reputation or if he is happy to relax and wait for something to come along that genuinely excites him.

If we spent £30m the only guarantee would be that none of it would be spent on the back four. We'd end up with five new CM's, three strikers to compete for left/right wing slots and another goalkeeper

A few of the points people seem to be missing and using well embarrassing phrases including championship manager, expecting instant success and being used to the PL. Christ. Then said posters tell oth

Posted Images

I simply don't understand the reverence in some quarters for Mowbray's "achievements". In the c55 years I've supported the club he's only just in the Top 10 managers based on league position and value added - behind Furphy, Smith, Kendall, Saxton, Mackay, Kenny, Souness, Hughes and possibly Big Sam. All these managers achieved more relative to their budgets and the resources they inherited in terms of both established players and upcoming youth. Apart from Dack and Armstrong, possibly Kaminski (early days ) where has TM added value in the squad? He inherited Raya, Travis, Nyambe and Lenihan and gave debuts only to the first two. The lynchpins of the promoted team - Mulgrew, Evans, Conway, Graham - were already at the club. The wages of £17m in L1 far exceeded anyone else in that season. In the 3 seasons since promotion he has only managed to maintain  - so far - a midtable position in the Championship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The Terry suggestion is interesting, but is potentially an Ince.

Hi Mike. 

Hands up, I was totally in favour of Ince being appointed. It turned out fairly disastrously but sometimes you have to take a gamble.

Against that arguably our best pound for pound manager ever Howard Kendall had no managerial experience prior to coming to us, and arguably our best ever manager King Kenny had no prior experience prior to getting the gig at Liverpool of all places.

So I don't think you can rule suggestions like Terry out altogether but you have to factor in the lack of experience and make a judgment call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Hi Mike. 

Hands up, I was totally in favour of Ince being appointed. It turned out fairly disastrously but sometimes you have to take a gamble.

Against that arguably our best pound for pound manager ever Howard Kendall had no managerial experience prior to coming to us, and arguably our best ever manager King Kenny had no prior experience prior to getting the gig at Liverpool of all places.

So I don't think you can rule suggestions like Terry out altogether but you have to factor in the lack of experience and make a judgment call.

Conversely, we appointed Hughes on the basis of minimal experience too.

Actually, that's triggered a thought. Any interesting international managers to be approached?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have liked a Bilic or Jokanovic who have ideas and good gameplan and are fiery as managers with a lot of passion.

 

But probably it will be Damien Johnson in line to take over and Mowbray being a director of football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, alcd said:

In the c55 years I've supported the club he's only just in the Top 10 managers based on league position and value added - behind Furphy, Smith, Kendall, Saxton, Mackay, Kenny, Souness, Hughes and possibly Big Sam. 

We never got to see what Gordon Lee could have done for us in the Second Division but I would have him in front of TM all day long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

We never got to see what Gordon Lee could have done for us in the Second Division but I would have him in front of TM all day long.

Yes, Lee vastly superior to Mowbray as well.

I wasn't a fan of Saxton but he was working with buttons and even he had us top of the equivalent of the Championship one Christmas before we completely imploded.

Mowbray can't even get us in the top six for more than a week or two near the start of the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Marco Silva available.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marco-silva/profil/trainer/19631

Alot of good managers available:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

 

David Wagner who did a great job with Hudds: 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/david-wagner/profil/trainer/609

Edited by neophox
Link to post
Share on other sites

Allow me to pull some names out my arse:

Max Allegri? Ralf Rangnick? Marcelino? Luciano Spalletti? Enrique Setién?

All superb, superstar managers currently out of work. Is there a CHANCE we could push the boat out?

Now for some left-field names a bit more considered. I've tried to focus on managers who've recently improved their teams, but might fancy a jump (or return) to England.

David Wagner - vastly improved Schalke in his time there, particularly their defence, albeit with a fair wallet to spend.

Christian Gourcuff - as above at Nantes, with an eye for improving youngsters.

Julian Stephan - pulling up trees at Rennes last year.

Christian Streich - Freiburg.

Imanol Alguacil - Real Sociedad (albeit he's only ever managed Sociedad).

Marco Rose - At Monchengladbach, has improved each of the 3 teams he's managed so far.

Julian Nagelsmann - RB Leipzeig.

 

Don't worry, the drugs are wearing off. Now for former Rovers:

Hughes, Ainsworth, Hill. I'd take any if I'm honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Allow me to pull some names out my arse:

Max Allegri? Ralf Rangnick? Marcelino? Luciano Spalletti? Enrique Setién?

All superb, superstar managers currently out of work. Is there a CHANCE we could push the boat out?

Now for some left-field names a bit more considered. I've tried to focus on managers who've recently improved their teams, but might fancy a jump (or return) to England.

David Wagner - vastly improved Schalke in his time there, particularly their defence, albeit with a fair wallet to spend.

Christian Gourcuff - as above at Nantes, with an eye for improving youngsters.

Julian Stephan - pulling up trees at Rennes last year.

Christian Streich - Freiburg.

Imanol Alguacil - Real Sociedad (albeit he's only ever managed Sociedad).

Marco Rose - At Monchengladbach, has improved each of the 3 teams he's managed so far.

Julian Nagelsmann - RB Leipzeig.

 

Don't worry, the drugs are wearing off. Now for former Rovers:

Hughes, Ainsworth, Hill. I'd take any if I'm honest.

The only realistic ones are the last 3 and I wouldn't fancy Hill or Ainsworth. Don't see what they have done to show they would be the ones to push us to the next level. Is Keith Hill related to you or something? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see this thread. 

This is my gut feeling so not an in the know before anyone wants sources...

1) Venky's inherited well but for a pretty diverse set of siblings to say the least, they have turned a fortune into a very big fortune irrespective of a mix of deep religiosity, Bollywood, Akron and a football club. Most families with that set of characters would have blown the lot so there is some deep business acumen there.

2) I would imagine the large surround screen cinema in the Pune compound watching Mowbray with his finger in his ear trying to find something for what felt like at least a minute wouldn't have gone down well- even I felt repulsed watching it. Petty but silly things like that can really count.

3) Mrs D, husband and siblings have seen enough football and definitely are experienced enough in judging management to read body language.  Everybody - players and touchline - was terrible all evening at Huddersfield. Mowbray looked dejected and defeated and the players displayed a mix of resignation and disgust.

4) I bet even Pune was wondering why Rothwell was so deep when he has twice run through teams on his own in recent games and what the chuff was Dack brought on to do?

5) So not a big chance of it happening but Tony might be persuadable he has had enough. Looking at his past record he has walked with dignity in the past. The unanimity of the 4 required to make big decisions might suddenly be discovered after watching such a shambles. Remember how we were all convinced Kean and Coyle would never depart?

OK who next?

1) This is going to bring the message board down on me. If it comes available, the Manager's desk at Brockhall and Ewood is one of the best jobs in British football in 2021.

- I'd love to see a real Manager work with the squad we have got and a decent roladex solves the defence; central defenders and left backs are out there 

- Seriously is there a squad anywhere in the Championship under performing as badly as our's is? Rovers are as close to a one way bet as an incoming manager could get

- The facilities and set-up including a Cat A Academy and an under 23s at serious risk of winning PL2

- The mad crazy days of Venky's SEEM to be in the past. Management SEEM to have a tolerance zone to get on with it

- within the limits of FFP, Venky's are making Rovers financially secure. 

2) I would expect therefore a significant number of top quality to be finding Waggott's number and email address one way or another

3) We have two really excellent candidates right on our doorstep Damian Johnson (give him the balance of the season to see if he can hit top 6) and Gareth Ainsworth (profiles perfectly) if Pune wants to play it safe.

In summary, the low risk high opportunity option would be change manager today.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of ones who feel mildly realistic given who we tend to aim for. Pearson would be my top choice. I wouldnt say no to cook. I don't like the bloke. But I think he is a Savage type character who when he's on your team, he could be great.

People saying about Hughes. Big no from me. Followed his time at QPR closely. Anyone remember Kia Joorabchian? Of Tevez, Mascherano then Man City fame. Hughes agent and they only signed his players. Big no from me. 

Others if we aimed higher. Howe... Wilder if sacked... I guess there are possibilities. But I don't see us approaching those types. I don't think we are unattractive. One of few clubs where a manager can be given space and time which is rare. And we do have a good squad. 

Big fear is who makes the decision. Are we suspect to ill advice still. 

All hypothetical though. As I'm sure Venkys are aware it's a scarey world out there. And more than anything want Mowbray to turn it around as him doing well makes their lives easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the team is missing ‘men’. We had the likes of Short, Flitcroft and Dickov the last time we went up. This team is full of absolute pussies. I’d have pulled Holtby off 20 mins after he come on last night. Bell, Douglas, Ayala, Rothwell, Holtby, Elliott and Brereton are all soft as shite.

What about this...Pulis installed, Sell AA for £25m and let him buy 4/5 big, horrible bastards to compliment what we’ve got....?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think the team is missing ‘men’. We had the likes of Short, Flitcroft and Dickov the last time we went up. This team is full of absolute pussies. I’d have pulled Holtby off 20 mins after he come on last night. Bell, Douglas, Ayala, Rothwell, Holtby, Elliott and Brereton are all soft as shite.

What about this...Pulis installed, Sell AA for £25m and let him buy 4/5 big, horrible bastards to compliment what we’ve got....?

More chance of platting fog than tony getting potted, as for the scenario i'd take it but it won't happen

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the main question is who is in charge and are Venkys arsed? 

If Waggott is pulling the strings there isn't a cat in hells chance of Mowbray being potted. 

If it's Suhail then let's see if he's got the bottle or the nous to make a big decision. It's time to step up Pasha. 

 

@PashaSapss on twitter if anyone wants to make some noise!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The only realistic ones are the last 3 and I wouldn't fancy Hill or Ainsworth. Don't see what they have done to show they would be the ones to push us to the next level. Is Keith Hill related to you or something? 

What a weird comment to make. I just named 3 of the more successful former Rovers that are managers in England, and (as you say) reckon they're realistic. I'd take any of them, but in the order named.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

What a weird comment to make. I just named 3 of the more successful former Rovers that are managers in England, and (as you say) reckon they're realistic. I'd take any of them, but in the order named.

Being a former Rover is hardly enough reason to make someone manager. Keith Hill ,really? You would be happy with that appointment? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Being a former Rover is hardly enough reason to make someone manager. Keith Hill ,really? You would be happy with that appointment? 

In the context of owners that appointed Coyle instead of Warnock, yes I would.

In general, no, I'd prefer Hughes or Ainsworth (as stated), but there are worse appointments we could make.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.