BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Celtic job is pointless.  What do you get out of it? Nothing. Win a tinpot trophy every season.  Get dumped out of Europe early. Even brendan Rogers couldn't wait to get away. They're not high profile European wise. The best they could do would be a middle of the road journeyman manager. Eddie howe would be the best they could hope for

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Celtic job is pointless.  What do you get out of it? Nothing. Win a tinpot trophy every season.  Get dumped out of Europe early. Even brendan Rogers couldn't wait to get away. They're not high profile European wise. The best they could do would be a middle of the road journeyman manager. Eddie howe would be the best they could hope for

A lot of that is indeed true, but they can offer good wages, so that's what someone would get out of it. Plus they used to do pretty well in Europe not too long ago. The way things are going though, any top 10 PL job is probably more tempting now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

But for someone like Wilder, who has an exceptional record at smaller clubs, there is always the doubt at whether he could do it at a big club. I think if the likes of Wilder or Dyche went to Celtic and succeeded, their CV's would look a lot stronger. They've only got one other side to get above.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A lot of that is indeed true, but they can offer good wages, so that's what someone would get out of it. Plus they used to do pretty well in Europe not too long ago. The way things are going though, any top 10 PL job is probably more tempting now. 

Brendan Rogers stock was lowish after he was sacked from Liverpool but I suppose the celtic job put him back on the map. Hes done an incredible job at Leicester though

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Besides, look at Celtic's recent managerial history. It's virtually impossible to fail. In fact, only one person managed it 😂

Lennon - 110 games (70% won)

Rodgers - 169 games (69.8% won)

Deila - 118 games (63.6% won)

Lennon - 227 games (70% won)

Mowbray - 45 games (51.1% won)

Strachan - 203 games (65% won)

O'Neill - 282 games (75.5% won)

And Delia was pointed too as an absolute disaster. 

Isn't that list just so bloody telling . 45 games. My god. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I've just looked through all the Premier League and Championship managers - and I'm not sure where else there is for Wilder to go.

I wonder if Allardyce will hang around at WBA if they get relegated - they might be an option.

You'd think Newcastle with their delusions of grandeur would expect someone more high profile.

Championship clubs - 13 of the 24 managers have been in a job less than a year. Mowbray must be the most at risk out of the rest.

I doubt he'll go abroad and he won't drop below the Championship. 

GET HIM IN!

Wilder would be good option if we have vacancy. I do wonder if he take some time out from the game for a while. Its appears that Wilder and Sheffield United board havent be getting on a while so no surprise he gone. 

Allardyce to Rovers?

These figures are slightly skewed due to Mowbray getting a season in League One, but these are the win percentages of all Venky's permanent appointments:

Mowbray - 41.3%

Lambert - 36.4%

Bowyer - 35.9%

Coyle - 29.7%

Kean - 28.4%

Appleton - 26.7%

Berg - 10%

Some absolute shockers there. Mowbray's win percentage actually drops to 36% when you take out the League One campaign, so he's in the Lambert/Bowyer territory.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

These figures are slightly skewed due to Mowbray getting a season in League One, but these are the win percentages of all Venky's permanent appointments:

Mowbray - 41.3%

Lambert - 36.4%

Bowyer - 35.9%

Coyle - 29.7%

Kean - 28.4%

Appleton - 26.7%

Berg - 10%

Some absolute shockers there. Mowbray's win percentage actually drops to 36% when you take out the League One campaign, so he's in the Lambert/Bowyer territory.

He is too, in many ways. Done a decent job and a lot of good for the club after Coyle but he has taken us as far as he can - about 5 places higher than when he took the job. 

If Moyes was offered the Celtic job I’m sure he would jump at it, as well as his current assistant Alan Irvine., Moyes an ex Celtic player, albeit only 24 appearances, but he will fully understand the Glesga vibe that matters as will Irvine. Both born in Glasgow it would be a total homecoming. 

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Mowbray - 41.3%

Lambert - 36.4%

Bowyer - 35.9%

Coyle - 29.7%

Kean - 28.4%

Appleton - 26.7%

Berg - 10%

Not backing TM in any way but worth noting he's got a squad that's come back up, the others were in the opposite direction. You could argue better quality coming from Prem compared to League 1 but you could also argue momentum was with the team after promotion when the others were dealing with a slide.

Either way another poor start although Brentford were very well organised and getting back in numbers, credit for the subs at half time but its too late.

I saw someone saying they were a curse that whenever they watch Rovers on tele they lose, truth is its just that we regularly do lose and on Sky its almost guaranteed 

16 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Mowbray - 41.3%

Lambert - 36.4%

Bowyer - 35.9%

Coyle - 29.7%

Kean - 28.4%

Appleton - 26.7%

Berg - 10%

What a list. It's been a horrendous decade, when will they fuck off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You think? Instead of managing in the premier league? Nah,don't think so.

Pub league is that.

Exactly, Moyes has how many years managing top flight PL clubs? Scottish clubs either get PL rejects like Rodgers looking to enhance their CV or inexperienced guys like Gerrard to kick start their managerial careers. People dont leave the PL to go to the SPL, they go there when they have no other choice.

• Like 1

How can a manager who has nearly 50% win ratio get the sack? We should be all over wilder. At least make him an offer to take over in the summer. That way he can spend time analysing rovers statistics and scout any potential signing.  One thing is for certain he won't be short of offers

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, roverandout said:

How can a manager who has nearly 50% win ratio get the sack? We should be all over wilder. At least make him an offer to take over in the summer. That way he can spend time analysing rovers statistics and scout any potential signing.  One thing is for certain he won't be short of offers

Have you read the links I've posted about the problems behind the scenes between Wilder and the owner/board? 

I agree with you that Rovers owners and Pasha should be looking and approach Wilder to see if he would be interest in Rovers manager role. 

If Rovers are looking to change the manager or change the structure to DoF/head coach for next season, I hope we are approaching and talking to potential replacements and appointments

• Like 1