BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

No idea, but he's been all over the BBC in the last month or two doing punditry. 

He doesn't come across as the best communicator TBF. 

He never comes across well in the media, never has to be honest. I couldn't care less though it's about who he signs and what he does on the training pitch that matters.

His teams here were always very well drilled horses for courses type stuff that obviously reflected the coaching. 

Sadly taklng on hopeless Prem jobs seems to be his main motivation these days. 

• Like 2

Personally don't think Hughes would be a good appointment. He's been crap at a fair few clubs since us.

Helped rob QPR blind as well. Similar owners had a lot of money but not a clue what they were doing. Hughes came in and preceded to sign only players from his agent Kia Joorabchian (sp). Remember him. Of Tevez, Mascherano to West Ham fame. How involved Hughes was I don't know. But he was very much part of that big motley crew who came in at that time. Big no thanks from me. And to top it off. His teams have been crap and soft for a long time. Yesterdays man.

• Like 2

There comes a point where a manager has been out for too long to mount a comeback. Hughes is getting there now with nearly 2.5 years out. If he doesn't get a job by the time next season kicks off then he's really going to struggle to get back in. Remember people like Curbishley, Pardew, O'Leary, Davies who were all highly rated and reasonably successful at one time or another who left their clubs, didn't get back in and have now become forgotten men who have been out of it too long. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dolly blue said:

Much as I enjoyed Hughes’ time here....for me our last “ proper manager “...I would not rush to have him back. He was of an era..and I believe that era has passed.  

We are all desperate to see the end of the current regime...it moans, it dumbs down our club, it feeds mediocrity.....we need to look to a hungry , yet to prove himself manager. All appointments are risks , and we have a good track record in those ....

For me it’s the foreign market ( particularly German ) or it’s the likes of Crowley( currently unemployed) or ....down the leagues to the likes of Bowyer at Charlton , Jimmy Floyd ( currently working miracles at Burton ) ......even Ian Evatt at Bolton ..nothing but success at Barrow and Bolton.....

You might say ...is this a list of how far we, as a club , have fallen.....and it probably is ....but we are in trouble and I am desperate for a way out of the slow, painful decline ......of course, THE answer to our prayers would be Wilder ...but, there’s probably a queue ...and our friends in Pune aren’t even aware of our plight ....never mind the queue

Would you take Hughes over TM? Thats as simple as it gets.

• Like 5

“ take Mark Hughes ? “......I’d take Mark Anthony or even Mark(s) and Spencer over TM .....My post was wishing for an appointment that had legs , credibility and someone who could lift the gloom...with long term plan 

Edited by Dolly blue
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Would you take Hughes over TM? Thats as simple as it gets.

Definitely I'm a better manager than TM.

He'd get Rovers relegated first season on Football manager.

(Before anyone says FM is full of rubbish - Hoffenheim manager signed Roberto Firmino purely cos he signed him on FM and loved him).

20 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

“ take Mark Hughes ? “......I’d take Mark Anthony or even Mark(s) and Spencer over TM .....My post was wishing for an appointment that had legs , credibility and someone who could lift the gloom...with long term plan 

Yes but you suggested we should not rush to get him back. Right now, id rush to get the tea lady in control of first team affairs.

47 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Definitely I'm a better manager than TM.

He'd get Rovers relegated first season on Football manager.

(Before anyone says FM is full of rubbish - Hoffenheim manager signed Roberto Firmino purely cos he signed him on FM and loved him).

It might not be full of rubbish but it is just a (very enjoyable and addictive) computer game.

And Mowbrays time should have been over a while ago, but he has done a good job overall and is not a total idiot.

27 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

It's not really though is it. In what world is it ever a straight choice between the two.

Also I'm not sure people are quite aware of just how poor Hughes record now looks.

Hughes would get these lads up after a couple of hard bastard signings. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Hughes would get these lads up after a couple of hard bastard signings. 

I genuinely feel like it's that simple. Plus get the hard bastard side of Travis on show again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Also I'm not sure people are quite aware of just how poor Hughes record now looks.

QPR and Southampton are his only failures? He even kept them both up initially, the following half-seasons at both were a disaster though definitely.

It went very stale at Stoke but that was after three good seasons and one average one. He did well there overall.

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

It's not really though is it. In what world is it ever a straight choice between the two.

And what is TMs record?

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

It really is as simple as that. He says we should not rush to get a manager of Hughes pedigree. it wont happen of course, but he has managed PL teams including us to varyign degrees of success. TM managed once in the PL and got relegated. Was also the worst manager in Celtics history in a two team league.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frosty said:

QPR and Southampton are his only failures? He even kept them both up initially, the following half-seasons at both were a disaster though definitely.

It went very stale at Stoke but that was after three good seasons and one average one. He did well there overall.

I mean in terms of those being his only failures I've put them in bold and his win %'s show just how poor. Those are pretty horrific. 

Rovers: 43.6%

Man City: 46.8%

Fulham: 32.6%

QPR: 23.5 win%

Stoke: 35.5%

Southampton: 18.5 win%

His years at Stoke were fairly stable if unspectacular given the money spent. People leaving comments about him bringing in a couple of battlers are just so out of sync with what he has done at every club since Rovers and Man City. Stoke brought in the likes of Imbula £21m, Berahino £13m, Joselu £8m, Kevin Wimmer £18m, Badou Ndiaye?? £14m. Even thinking of Jese Rodriguez brought in for a significant loan fee. The reason I mention him is Jese and the likes of Imbula and Berahino are typical of players who have managed to gain reputations for being bad apples over the years, all whilst at the same time as selling genuine hardened players such as N'zonzi, Robert Huth off the top of my head for peanuts in comparison to their replacements. 

I've not gone into his extremely dodgy and morally suspect dealings at QPR (I do not have evidence of this so it is only on say so from a friend very clued up on QPR and isn't an accusation of legal wrongdoing) who again are players who have carved a reputation for being mercenaries or out for one last payday.

I know you can pick the bad parts of any situation. But the above are some of the reasons in my opinion why he is out of work. I think people look at him with Rose tinted glasses on. Easy to do. We were phenomenal under him and one of my favourite times supporting Rovers. We'd give a bloody nose to anyone. Unfortunately that is in isolation looking at his whole career.

If we did bring him in I'd get right behind him. I'm also not comparing him to Mowbray. My initial comment was replying to someone saying "Would you take Hughes over Mowbray, that's as simple as it gets". When in my opinion. Due to all the above, it's not. Mowbrays time is up. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to bring in the best replacement possible within our means as a club. 

• Like 3