BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Hughes hasn't managed at this level yet has he ?

So a bit unfair to write him off because he flopped at a few struggling Prem clubs. He only has himself to blame really as he seems attracted to anything offered as long as it's top tier. 

Maybe his true abilities lie at a club like this where he might be able to almost start from scratch and mould a solid side.  Look at Souness before he came here, ok different era so look at Mowbray before he turned up here. Makes Hughes cv look like Pep.

At the very least i doubt he'd be worse it might turn out a sideways step but at least it's a change. Chance of a new manager bounce and the chance for some of these players to play under a bigger name.

All i pray for at the min is one bloody good season and a genuine good finish position. Sick of excuses and bull, just want to have a real go for once. Not be stuck in a permanent confused experiment.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hughes hasn't managed at this level yet has he ?

So a bit unfair to write him off because he flopped at a few struggling Prem clubs. He only has himself to blame really as he seems attracted to anything offered as long as it's top tier. 

If Hughes came in as manager I would absolutely be backing him 100% and judge him purely based on what he was doing in the present. I just think that his record for a long time has been very questionable and there are better options out there. I firmly believe the only reason is mentioned is because he did such a good job here 13 or 14 years ago. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

If Hughes came in as manager I would absolutely be backing him 100% and judge him purely based on what he was doing in the present. I just think that his record for a long time has been very questionable and there are better options out there. I firmly believe the only reason is mentioned is because he did such a good job here 13 or 14 years ago. 

I get the concerns and all that but i just think we are heading for desperately needing a change for changes sake. I'd feel a lot better if it was Hughes than some of the potential dross the Venky/HSH roulette wheel might serve up.

I presume a few might feel the same even if he wasn't the first name on their lips. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I get the concerns and all that but i just think we are heading for desperately needing a change for changes sake. I'd feel a lot better if it was Hughes than some of the potential dross the Venky/HSH roulette wheel might serve up.

I presume a few might feel the same even if he wasn't the first name on their lips. 

Understandable.

Unfortunately I'm an eternal optimist which often leads to my own suffering when things don't pan out. The come down is the hard part. 

• Like 2

Personally I feel we generally perform better under a manager with a bit about them , Hughes , Souness & Dalglish, compared to the softly softly of Kidd , Roy ,Bower ,Tony etc .

My shout would be someone with a mentally like mentioned, who is respected, focused and has an affection for the club . 

As we will continue to need a manager who is ' hands on ' and oversee the functioning of the club , due to lack of leadership.

I understand these ex great players / managers is a bit old hat now , but hay ho.

Tuguy just for the romance

• Like 1

The more I think about the situation,I'm starting to fear the best we can hope for is some fudge on Mowbray leaving like him moving to DOF with Johnson as head coach. 

If he isn't sacked before the end of the season, he will be here game 1 next season. Obviously the logical thing would be to change now to give a new manager time. 

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The more I think about the situation,I'm starting to fear the best we can hope for is some fudge on Mowbray leaving like him moving to DOF with Johnson as head coach. 

If he isn't sacked before the end of the season, he will be here game 1 next season. Obviously the logical thing would be to change now to give a new manager time. 

Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson remaining at the club in any capacity and putting DJ up as some kind of front man is absolute nightmare fuel.

• Like 9

They need to get away from silly philosophies and midtable mentality. Until the team gets a bit more robust and balanced and there is a real belief around the place then nowt will change.

It's been firmly established now with this regime that second best is ok as long as the stats are ok.  Totally the wrong attitude if you want to get somewhere but those overseeing it i genuinely don't think they do.

By that i mean i think they want to win games and do better than we are but just enough is enough. The risk of going for it and falling short outweighs the risk of just meandering steadily and hoping something goes right.

• Like 2

Danny Cowley looks to be getting the Portsmouth job. 

They sacked Kenny Jackett despite 4 years of progress and play off attempts with them still in a reasonable position.

Ruthless yet decisive and know what they want.

I think we are a lost cause. I really do. Mowbray needs to go yet there's no clue at the club. Options keep on passing by.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Danny Cowley looks to be getting the Portsmouth job. 

They sacked Kenny Jackett despite 4 years of progress and play off attempts with them still in a reasonable position.

Ruthless yet decisive and know what they want.

I think we are a lost cause. I really do. Mowbray needs to go yet there's no clue at the club. Options keep on passing by.

Kenny Jackett has not succeeded at Portsmouth. The fans have been begging for him to leave for longer than we have Mowbray.

Jackett was in charge before the new, very rich owners came in. They had never sacked a manager before. A lot of fans think this caused a lot of hesitation amongst them.

Anyway. Pompey have been floating in obscurity for a long time and have far better resources than most at that level. Their current form isn't far off what ours is. It wasn't ruthless in the slightest. It would be a challenge to find a Pompey fan who doesn't think he's been an uninspiring failure. I live in the middle of the city and virtually everyone I know supports the club. 

I do agree its depressing to see another potential manager snapped up by another club though.

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 1

Not sure why the Cowleys would go in at Pompey tbh. If they waited around a bit they would get another Championship gig. Ideally here but Venkies either sack 17 managers off in 3 months or keep them here forever. We have the latter at the moment. 

oh to have a CEO with the power and guts to sack off his best mate.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Not sure why the Cowleys would go in at Pompey tbh. If they waited around a bit they would get another Championship gig. Ideally here but Venkies either sack 17 managers off in 3 months or keep them here forever. We have the latter at the moment. 

oh to have a CEO with the power and guts to sack off his best mate.

Apparently its a deal to the end of the season initially. So may still be available. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cowley's contract at Pompey is only till the end of the season I believe then they will have discussions about a new contract if things go well. 

I think Charlton have made a good appointment in Adkins. Knows the league

I think we can forget any prospective names until we know he’s leaving, even then it’s more likely they’ll be back to the usual advisors 

11 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

I think we can forget any prospective names until we know he’s leaving, even then it’s more likely they’ll be back to the usual advisors 

I hoping we wont used them again and try a different manager not from the usual advisors