BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here are some British managers/head coaches we could target to replace Mowbray before next season

Unemployed people:-

• Chris Wilder
  • Mark Hughes
  • Alex Neil
  • Alan Pardew
  • Garry Monk
  • Neil Harris
  • Tony Pulis
  • Mark Bowen

Employed people but some realistic targets in my opinion

• Mark Robins from Coventry
  • Gareth Ainsworth from Wycombe
  • Ryan Lowe from Plymouth
  • David Artell from Crewe
  • Karl Robinson from Oxford
  • Gary Rowett from Millwall
  • Callum Davidson from St. Johnstone
  • Lee Carsley, England Under 20's manager 

Here are some Foreign managers/head coaches we could target to replace Mowbray before next season(dont know whether they would be interested as I don't follow European football much)

• Marco Silva, former Everton, Watford and Hull head coach
  • Bruno Lage, former Benfica head coach
  • Vladimir Ivic, Former Watford head coach
  • David Wagner, Former Huddersfield head coach

What do people think and feel free to suggestion potential targets in you have any. Thanks

Only those in bold for me

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here are some British managers/head coaches we could target to replace Mowbray before next season

Unemployed people:-

• Chris Wilder
  • Mark Hughes
  • Alex Neil
  • Alan Pardew
  • Garry Monk
  • Neil Harris
  • Tony Pulis
  • Mark Bowen

Employed people but some realistic targets in my opinion

• Mark Robins from Coventry
  • Gareth Ainsworth from Wycombe
  • Ryan Lowe from Plymouth
  • David Artell from Crewe
  • Karl Robinson from Oxford
  • Gary Rowett from Millwall
  • Callum Davidson from St. Johnstone
  • Lee Carsley, England Under 20's manager 

Here are some Foreign managers/head coaches we could target to replace Mowbray before next season(dont know whether they would be interested as I don't follow European football much)

• Marco Silva, former Everton, Watford and Hull head coach
  • Bruno Lage, former Benfica head coach
  • Vladimir Ivic, Former Watford head coach
  • David Wagner, Former Huddersfield head coach

What do people think and feel free to suggestion potential targets in you have any. Thanks

I'd avoid Pardew and Pulis because I think their race is run and wouldn't deliver what we need. Bowen has done nothing as a manager so not sure why he would deserve a shot managing us.

With the exception of Gary Rowett who has done well at this level with Birmingham, Derby and Millwall I would avoid all those on your second list.

These names are not people who should be being brought in to Blackburn Rovers in the Championship to haul us to the top 6 and the PL. We need to show some proper ambition and get people believing. Lee Carsley or David Artell do not represent that.

I suspect the likes of Ainsworth, Davidson and Carsley are only being mentioned because of their various backgrounds with Rovers, which really shouldn't be a factor. None have done what is needed as managers to have a shot managing a club of our size and stature. None will get offered jobs at other Championship clubs.

Finally your foreign names I'd certainly speak to Lage, Wagner and Silva to see what their demands are but I wouldn't be particularly ecstatic with any. I would much rather them than most names on the list yet all would still be significant gambles. Silva has pedigree but hasn't really delivered on the hype at Everton and Watford. Lage got the Benfica job more through accident and didn't last too long. Wagner hasn't done anything beyond an incredible 12 months at Huddersfield and has left his last two clubs in dire straits.

I'd be adding to the list Oscar Garcia, Carlos Carvalhal, Slavisa Jokanovic, but these are just because they have good records at this level having worked at other clubs before. I would want to see other names on there that came about through us searching through countries and divisions and unearthing good options like other clubs do.

Sadly I get the impression that a recruitment process here would merely consist of sitting there waiting for people to apply and then picking the one that would do it for the least money and working with what staff are already here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EgyptianPete said:

Callum Davidson is an interesting option. Relatively new to management and won a trophy already in Scotland and not with the big 2. Plus Scots have a habit of making decent managers in this country for whatever reason. Not sure I'd want to risk it mind you. Didn't he play for Preston too? Maybe an alternative to Ainsworth for them, as the nobbers tend to take chances more with managers. We just take chancers as managers. 

• Like 1

Without a sporting director or competent people in place behind the scenes I'd be worried selecting a manager from abroad who hasn't worked in this country before.

The squad needs rebuilding and with the UK leaving the EU it will be harder to recruit from abroad with our likely budget.

I appreciate this season untested foreign managers have done well, at Reading and Barnsley in particular but from what I have read they didn't have much to do with the recruitment of their players.

Don't think we have the set up behind the scenes to assist an incoming manager from abroad with no prior experience in this country.Id be all for scouring European leagues if we had such a set up or even a settled squad that with the correct coaching could push on.

Carvalhal and Jokanovic would be two id be happy with.

Wilder would be my choice 

• Like 1

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/27332564

This is the list Sky are going with for the next PNE manager. I have to say that if that these were the sort of names linked with coming here I'd be concerned.

There's only Stendel, Hughes and Wilder on there that would remotely enthuse me. The rest are huge gambles.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Sadly I get the impression that a recruitment process here would merely consist of sitting there waiting for people to apply and then picking the one that would do it for the least money and working with what staff are already here.

Or ringing HSH and saying "Who have you got?'

The owners have tried almost everything in the past, they've backed Bowyer and Mowbray who made an effort with them fairly generously and starved managers who didn't make as much of an effort with them of cash.

The one thing they've never really done is be really ambitious with their managerial appointments. The possible exception to that was Lambert who looked a good appointment on paper but who turned out imo to be a disaster and they should never have allowed him to put a break clause in his contract. Either he wanted the job or he didn't.

Nevertheless getting the best manager and coaching staff you possibly can in is the only way to succeed.

Bilic, Jokanovic or Wilder for me, as academic as it's likely to be.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is the list Sky are going with for the next PNE manager. I have to say that if that these were the sort of names linked with coming here I'd be concerned.

There's only Stendel, Hughes and Wilder on there that would remotely enthuse me. The rest are huge gambles.

I made the point earlier that these lists are merely compiled by the bookies to relieve mug punters of their money but it's a fair point.

John Terry is an interesting one. Might be absolutely brilliant for someone, but equally could be terrible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Well the lad from PNE is available.  A few here suggesting him earlier this season.

And why not ?

He's had them finishing above us twice and might well have again. Less resources than the midtable messiah and doesn't have the luxury of an under 23's academy to choose from.  

As Dolan will testify and what do Tony's groupies think will actually happen here if we sell a couple of our best players ?

If the dice was going to be rolled we could do worse than Neil i reckon.

• Like 1

Alex Neil is only 39 years old...

Taken Norwich to the Premier League, so young and been the game a long time. I think hes way better than Mowbray. Hee needed a change after 4 years at Preston who is selling their best players. Proven at Championship level last 6 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Wilder going to Celtic apparently. My source is one of the Sheff U first team coaches who’s planning to go up there with him.

So I think we can scrub Wilder off the list.

Mowbray apparently  isn’t going anywhere so what’s the point in having a list

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

Eddie Howe (14/1) or Slaven Bilic (20/1) would be a tremendous appointment for either PNE or Rovers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'd avoid Pardew and Pulis because I think their race is run and wouldn't deliver what we need. Bowen has done nothing as a manager so not sure why he would deserve a shot managing us.

I suggested Bowen more of a head coach figure with a sporting Director above him like Mike Rigg. 

If Wilder is off to Celtic as @Paul Mani has said then wipe him name of the list. 

Perhaps Hughes and Neil would be the 2 leading favourites for the job if we have a vacancy this week

With the exception of Gary Rowett who has done well at this level with Birmingham, Derby and Millwall I would avoid all those on your second list.

These names are not people who should be being brought in to Blackburn Rovers in the Championship to haul us to the top 6 and the PL. We need to show some proper ambition and get people believing. Lee Carsley or David Artell do not represent that.

I suspect the likes of Ainsworth, Davidson and Carsley are only being mentioned because of their various backgrounds with Rovers, which really shouldn't be a factor. None have done what is needed as managers to have a shot managing a club of our size and stature. None will get offered jobs at other Championship clubs.

Ainsworth and Robins both have 2 promotions on the CV's and knows what it takes to get promotion. 

I suggested Lee Carsley cos he might be a hidden gem similar to Steve Cooper at Swansea. Who thought he would have done so well. 

Davidson has just won a trophy at St. Johnstone in his 1st season as manager. 

I'd be adding to the list Oscar Garcia, Carlos Carvalhal, Slavisa Jokanovic, but these are just because they have good records at this level having worked at other clubs before. I would want to see other names on there that came about through us searching through countries and divisions and unearthing good options like other clubs do.

Can't see Rovers paying Jokanovic's reported salary demands. I understand why you suggested him

Carvalhal ain't leaving Braga to come here when they are 1 point of champions League place and only 4 points off top of the league. Would you move?

On Oscar Garcia, He never stayed longer than a year at any club apart from Red Bull Salzburg, so why

Without an experience Sporting Director at the club. I can't see anyone at the club knowing much about Overseas managers or head coaches available. unless we use an agent. The Owners could have bought in Sporting Director/head coach structure many seasons ago and stick with it but they don't. They have appoint people but never for longer than a season like Paul Senior, Simon Hunt, Shebby Singh. 

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

why Stendal? sacked at Barnsley and Hearts? 

44 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Mowbray apparently  isn’t going anywhere so what’s the point in having a list

surely that what Messageboards are for? Discussions. 

Who knows what Balaji and Pasha will do over Mowbray and Waggott future. But you can't tell they are happy about this season after backing Mowbray slow build plan and back him financially in terms of transfers fees and wages in 3 years to not improve league position

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Eddie Howe (14/1) or Slaven Bilic (20/1) would be a tremendous appointment for either PNE or Rovers.

isn't Bilic managing in China and on mega money contract? 

Howe will replace Hodgson at Palace in the summer as reports suggests  

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why Mowbray at the time?

Sacked by Celtic and Middlesbrough, before leaving Coventry in league ones after 10 games without a win.

He turned out to be a good fit for small while though didn't he, who says Stendal couldn't do the same?

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He did a good job at Barnsley and was harshly sacked I think.

Win percentages of recent Barnsley managers:

Ismael - 61.8%

Struber - 35.9%

Stendel - 47%

Morais - 20%

Heckingbottom - 35.2%

Johnson - 39.2%

Wilson - 30.2%

So he's no Ismael - but he's gone a better job than anyone else there.

12 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Why Mowbray at the time?

Sacked by Celtic and Middlesbrough, before leaving Coventry in league ones after 10 games without a win.

He turned out to be a good fit for small while though didn't he, who says Stendal couldn't do the same?

Well I asked Paul Senior why he appointed and he gave me his answer via Email

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He did a good job at Barnsley and was harshly sacked I think.

didn't he criticise the transfer plans?

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Wilder going to Celtic apparently. My source is one of the Sheff U first team coaches who’s planning to go up there with him.

So I think we can scrub Wilder off the list.

Perfect job to build up cred as a younger manager.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who knows what Balaji and Pasha will do over Mowbray and Waggott future. But you can't tell they are happy about this season after backing Mowbray slow build plan and back him financially in terms of transfers fees and wages in 3 years to not improve league position

No chance Howe is going there he got homesick up here last time, they won’t pay what Bilic is earning either. 

my point re Mowbray is that until he leaves etc there is no point really engaging in the oh look another manager we missed out on etc. Should he be sacked probably will be unlikely 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can we tell whether they are happy or not though? How do we do that? 

Maybe not being relegated is enough , who knows 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel