BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Has to be the Barnsley manager if they don't go up. 

Ainsworth, meh. He might do well, but I think people are basing a lot off his connections to the club. Without that, he wouldn't be mentioned. He's basically in the same category as the Rotherham manager if you take the local lad stuff away. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

Said for years that I think Ainsworth will be here at some point and I think it will be this summer.

We approached him a few years back but he wanted to do right by Wycombe, his job is now done there you’d think if the right offer comes along 

I’ve no issue with Ainsworth but would he reignite our fan base should he be appointed?

I don’t think so, most would be underwhelmed. If we can pay the likes of Ayala a relative kings ransom to do fuck all, why can we not pay top dollar for someone of a really high calibre to manage the club and in turn re-invigorate it as a figure head?...it’s a no brainer IMO.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I’ve no issue with Ainsworth but would he reignite our fan base should he be appointed?

I don’t think so, most would be underwhelmed. If we can pay the likes of Ayala a relative kings ransom to do fuck all, why can we not pay top dollar for someone of a really high calibre to manage the club and in turn re-invigorate it as a figure head?...it’s a no brainer IMO.

This has always baffled me Nick. Its hardly rocket science. Jack knew how to do it.

• Like 2

Has everyone forgotten about Damian Johnson? Been here for years as player and coaching staff---loyalty----Venkys like that.

They also like promoting from within their organisation (and they've promoted Johnno once already.

He has a successful record of preparing the young 'uns and might be able to persuade one or two to stay where I imagine TM couldn't.

Best of all----he'd be CHEAP!

I think I've made a pretty good Venky case for him.

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

Said for years that I think Ainsworth will be here at some point and I think it will be this summer.

We approached him a few years back but he wanted to do right by Wycombe, his job is now done there you’d think if the right offer comes along 

Might be a potential problem depending with how much Wycombe will want for him, he only signed a new long term contract in Feb 2020. I just don't see him as the type who will resign to take up another job.

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

Has everyone forgotten about Damian Johnson? Been here for years as player and coaching staff---loyalty----Venkys like that.

They also like promoting from within their organisation (and they've promoted Johnno once already.

He has a successful record of preparing the young 'uns and might be able to persuade one or two to stay where I imagine TM couldn't.

I haven't forgotten, i figured Mowbray would get binned, Johnson given the reigns and would get a few results and then they would give him the job full time in the summer.

That's not happened as Venky's either don't care or seem to be under the delusion that Mowbray can turn it round. 

Not sure about giving it to Johnson, he could work out well but i think we need a manager who has a previous (recent) good history in the Championship.

Although that shows ambition, which goes against how Venky's work.

We are losing £20 million a year.

only 3 ways of stopping or significantly reducing that

1 - get promoted

2 - slash costs and likely go and stay in League One

3 - unearth gems to sell each and every year whilst surviving in the Championship 

Option 3 isn't going to happen, because you need to be very astute with your recruitment and contracts and very few clubs are so savvy. Barnsley and Brentford the two obvious ones. These owners aren't up to it and we are going to be forced into selling Armstrong at an undervalue due to his contract status.

Option 2 should be off the table

So it needs to be Option 1. Why when able to sustain £200 million losses you'd cut corners on the coaching staff i do not know.

This is a huge decision, not one that should be influenced by emotion, place of birth or convenience 

You get a manager with the track record to do the job. That might mean you have to pay more, or agree to his demands. Just because a manager might require persuasion rather than crawl over glass for the job doesn't mean we shouldn't get him

Wilder. And a big bonus if he succeeds.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

No. I would prefer to go for someone with invaluable senior management experience, as opposed to a rookie. It's not the time. 

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Gareth Ainsworth for me has to be taken at his job at Wycombe alone, which has been an outstanding one. He’s basically gotten Accy Stanley into the Championship with barely any cash at all.

Being Rovers is a bonus only.

Agree. I've heard a few dismiss him straight away, thinking it's just a lazy Rovers link.

But he has many qualities, ticks a lot of our boxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This has always baffled me Nick. Its hardly rocket science. Jack knew how to do it.

Yep, think big!

WE ARE BLACKBURN ROVERS FC, who the fuck are Brentford or Tottenham Hotspur?!

Reach for the stars and at worst you'll reach the moon!

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Gareth Ainsworth for me has to be taken at his job at Wycombe alone, which has been an outstanding one. He’s basically gotten Accy Stanley into the Championship with barely any cash at all.

Being Rovers is a bonus only.

There are better candidates though, that should be realistic. Barnsley manager being one. 

Ainsworth may not be everybody’s choice and probably not my first pick either, but I bet we would all feel mightily miffed if he got fed up waiting for the ditherers of Pune to make any kind of decision and he decided to go to the Nobbers of Dopedale, and we still have Mowbray here at the start of next season. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Damien Johnson is not a manager's cousin. Not for BRFC or anybody else either. Forget the thought respectfully 47er.

4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Damien Johnson is not a manager's cousin. Not for BRFC or anybody else either. Forget the thought respectfully 47er.

You misunderstand my post. I'm not advocating for him, I'm just saying that, from Venky's viewpoint, he fits the bill.

That's assuming they do sack Mowbray of course.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 47er said:

You misunderstand my post. I'm not advocating for him, I'm just saying that, from Venky's viewpoint, he fits the bill.

That's assuming they do sack Mowbray of course.

I've had previous dealings with Jonno, I've looked him in the eyes.

He undoubtedly did great things with our youngsters and is clearly a good coach at that level. However, IMO, a manager of men, he is not.

PS Mowbray departing should be a given....thanks, toodle pip and here's a tenner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We are losing £20 million a year.

only 3 ways of stopping or significantly reducing that

1 - get promoted

2 - slash costs and likely go and stay in League One

3 - unearth gems to sell each and every year whilst surviving in the Championship 

Option 1 would need the owners to make the right managerial appointment, recruit sensibly and get a decent, knowledgeable board in place - Not happening.

Option 3 would require excellent recruitment, patience, an understanding manager and  a decent, knowledgeable board in place - Not happening.

That leaves option 2 - perfect. Very little effort required. We already have the ultimate cost slasher in situ - right up Waggott's street. Motion carried.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Signing Mourinho wouldn't reignite the fan base.

The proof is in the pudding - we'd wait to see what runs out there on Saturdays. If it's more tripe then it doesn't matter what the name of the manager is. 

As a theoretical exercise thought I'd run through the list of Championship managers and see if there are any I would NOT take over Mowbray.

Norwich - Farke - no

Watford - Munoz - know nothing about him but based on results - no

Swansea - Cooper - no

Brentford - Frank - no

Bournemouth - Woodgate - wouldn't want either

Barnsley - Ismael - no

Reading - Paunovic- no - see Watford

QPR - Warburton - no

Cardiff - Mccarthy - no

Millwall - Rowett - no

Boro - Colin - no

Stoke - O Neill - no

Luton - Nathan Jones -no

Preston - (Neil) - no

Bristol City - Pearson - no

Forest - Hughton - no

Coventry - Robins - no

Birmingham - Bowyer - no

Huddersfield - Corberan - know nothing about him.

Derby - Rooney - wouldn't want either of them

Rotherham - Warne - no

Sheff Wed - Moore - no

Wycombe - Ainsworth - no

So there you have it. It looks so much more stark laid out in black and white. The owners are pumping in £20 m p.a. to try and make us competitive but it's going to complete waste because we're going into battle with a manager significantly worse than at least 20 of the other 23 teams.

What chance have we got really?

• Like 1