1 minute ago, dallydally said:

Probably just the new Manager "bounce". Time will tell

Agree...plus 8 games virtually all dead rubbers with no crowds in ..no pressure. Cheap option in my eyes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well personally I'm at a clear stage in life. As difficult as Coronvirus has been the 13 month break in football games has simplified things and offered a fresh perspective on football. If it had just

Established Championship club ✅ Recent history of Premier League football ✅ Squad packed with quality, including 2nd highest scorer in the league and a returning Dack ✅ No forced sales

I just can't understand this 'trusting' a CEO thing. It just isn't the real world. On what planet do billionaire businessmen keep hold of a loss making enterprise and allow it to fail becaus

Posted Images

Hah, I wouldn't be happy with that at all if I were a PNE fan. When does this type of thing ever work out? Cheap option indeed.

Still probably finish above us again mind if we have Mowbray for the entire of next season.

Talking to PNE fans at work and most are 'OK' with the appointment though not particularly excited - as you would expect.

They keep pointing out two previous internal managerial appointments that went well - David Moyes and Billy Davies

What would it take (apart from £5m a year perhaps) to persuade Sean Dyche to take the Rovers job?

He's done a brilliant job and gets very little praise for it in the media.

I'd even allow him to keep living in Northants...... well away from Clarets fans

7 hours ago, Meesh said:

Always a bad omen!

Ainsworth is contracted to Wycombe until 2025 or beyond. Preston wouldn't have paid that compensation. Not my words, but words from one of their message board some time ago.

Rules us out then.

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are the Preston fans happy with that appointment? Fairly underwhelming I would say 

Sometimes these types of appointments work out but more often than not, they start well and then fade quickly.

This bloke is 53 years old, never been a manager before in his life and has spent the last 7 years being an assistant to the bloke they just sacked. Those 7 years by the way, being the only 7 years as an assistant or anything close to in his career and he never played professionally either.

Feels like an appointment straight outta the Venkys top drawer. Driven largely by one factor, he'll be the cheapest option around.

They couldn't have picked a less inspiring choice if they tried.

On 08/05/2021 at 21:22, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The bloke at Bolton has worked wonders there. 

He’s done well albeit with a huge budget!

7 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Sometimes these types of appointments work out but more often than not, they start well and then fade quickly.

This bloke is 53 years old, never been a manager before in his life and has spent the last 7 years being an assistant to the bloke they just sacked. Those 7 years by the way, being the only 7 years as an assistant or anything close to in his career and he never played professionally either.

Feels like an appointment straight outta the Venkys top drawer. Driven largely by one factor, he'll be the cheapest option around.

They couldn't have picked a less inspiring choice if they tried.

Well, they could have taken Mowbray.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s done well albeit with a huge budget!

Was the same for Mowbray in league one, but most viewed him as some sort of messiah.

20 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Was the same for Mowbray in league one, but most viewed him as some sort of messiah.

Depends what precedes you. Anyone who at that time appeared to be a fairly ordinary run of the mill manager would have been feted because they weren't their predecessors

23 hours ago, Meesh said:

Always a bad omen!

Ainsworth is contracted to Wycombe until 2025 or beyond. Preston wouldn't have paid that compensation. Not my words, but words from one of their message board some time ago.

I've obviously not seen Ainsworth's contract - but Kean had a clause in allowing him to leave for the sum of 12 months of his salary. You'd guess that would be a fairly standard clause I would have thought.

So I'd expect any compensation to be around 12 months of his salary - and he can't be on a fortune as Wycombe boss.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I've obviously not seen Ainsworth's contract - but Kean had a clause in allowing him to leave for the sum of 12 months of his salary. You'd guess that would be a fairly standard clause I would have thought.

So I'd expect any compensation to be around 12 months of his salary - and he can't be on a fortune as Wycombe boss.

The article regarding Ainsworth's contract is here. Ainsworth's previous contract ran until 2023, and the new 'long term' contract is rumoured to be until at least 2025.

Even if he's not on heaps of money, it's still four years' worth of salary that Wycombe would be looking at getting from an enquiring club. Even if they agreed on a few years of that salary, there could be other fees involved. Ultimately, I don't think he'd be a cheap appointment when clubs at this level are looking at tightening their belts with the financial aftermath of the last year.

2 minutes ago, Meesh said:

The article regarding Ainsworth's contract is here. Ainsworth's previous contract ran until 2023, and the new 'long term' contract is rumoured to be until at least 2025.

Even if he's not on heaps of money, it's still four years' worth of salary that Wycombe would be looking at getting from an enquiring club. Even if they agreed on a few years of that salary, there could be other fees involved. Ultimately, I don't think he'd be a cheap appointment when clubs at this level are looking at tightening their belts with the financial aftermath of the last year.

That's my point though - there is likely to be a break clause in there like Kean had. I'd find it unlikely that it would be the balance of his 4 year contract, as you'd assume they'd have to pay that out in full if they terminated his deal early. It's likely that it's 12 months either way. Surely we could afford 12 months of his salary.

This was the wording in Kean's contract:

15 Early Termination

15.1 If the Manager receives an approach for his services whether directly or indirectly from any other club or national association (whether in England or anywhere else in the world) and/or any third party on behalf of such entities during the Fixed Period, he will notify the Owner immediately. 

15.2 In the event that the Manager shall, at any time, wish to be released early from this Agreement the Club shall grant his request only if the Manager, prior to any release, compensates the Club or procures the payment of compensation to the Club by way of liquidated damages in a sum equal to twelve (12) months’ gross basic salary as enjoyed by the Manager at the applicable time.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

That's my point though - there is likely to be a break clause in there like Kean had. I'd find it unlikely that it would be the balance of his 4 year contract, as you'd assume they'd have to pay that out in full if they terminated his deal early. It's likely that it's 12 months either way. Surely we could afford 12 months of his salary.

This was the wording in Kean's contract:

15 Early Termination

15.1 If the Manager receives an approach for his services whether directly or indirectly from any other club or national association (whether in England or anywhere else in the world) and/or any third party on behalf of such entities during the Fixed Period, he will notify the Owner immediately. 

15.2 In the event that the Manager shall, at any time, wish to be released early from this Agreement the Club shall grant his request only if the Manager, prior to any release, compensates the Club or procures the payment of compensation to the Club by way of liquidated damages in a sum equal to twelve (12) months’ gross basic salary as enjoyed by the Manager at the applicable time.

Ah, I see. Good find! So you're right, Ainsworth wouldn't have been unrealistically expensive for anyone to acquire. I suppose it's still money, though.

We wonder managers rarely resign and instead wait to be sacked (or go for mutual agreement).

2 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Ah, I see. Good find! So you're right, Ainsworth wouldn't have been unrealistically expensive for anyone to acquire. I suppose it's still money, though.

We wonder managers rarely resign and instead wait to be sacked (or go for mutual agreement).

Exactly that. You very rarely hear of managers resigning these days - it's always mutual consent. 

TM's post match interviews for the last 6 months almost sound like someone who wants to be pushed to me.

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Exactly that. You very rarely hear of managers resigning these days - it's always mutual consent. 

TM's post match interviews for the last 6 months almost sound like someone who wants to be pushed to me.

Not sure I agree. To me he sounds like self preservation mode. The 'reset as though the 3 years don't count', the 'I won't make excuses but then list every excuse', and the most cringe worthy 'the owners are wonderful people' articles are all signs of a man desperate to cling on to his position regardless of how undignified he sounds or how much lies he spouts.

Not sure he wants to get pushed at all. His comments in that vein come off more like a child who can't cope with criticism or challenge and speaks before they think rather than someone looking to get the push. Otherwise we wouldn't have had half the bull he has spouted. 

36 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Thing is if you had to spend money on one thing in the championship a good manager would be it. The difference it makes to a club is huge. It's amazing that some clubs don't realise that. 

Exactly this! It just seems so bloody obvious to me.

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Exactly this! It just seems so bloody obvious to me.

I don't get it either.

Surely the only way Venky's are ever going to get any kind of return or stop haemorrhaging money is to get the club back into the Premier League.

The easiest way to do that is to find a top quality manager. That's where the biggest difference can be made.

It makes a huge difference everywhere. The difference between Sale Sharks under a decent manager in Steve Diamond and what looks like an excellent appointment in Alex Sanderson is amazing. You win matches youd previously have lost. You hold onto leads you'd previously have lost. You overcome problems on the pitch and players sort things out for themselves mid game because of the confidence an excellent manager gives them. Training ground moves start to appear in matches, and players really play for the team. It's not rocket science. It's just like any other job. Get a really good person at the top and everything else falls into place 

17 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Get a really good person at the top and everything else falls into place 

The manager should be the highest paid at the club for me (possibly barring the odd exceptional player that generates huge amounts of commercial income - a Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham etc).

There can't be many other jobs out there where the staff earn more than the manager they report in to.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

The manager should be the highest paid at the club for me (possibly barring the odd exceptional player that generates huge amounts of commercial income - a Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham etc).

There can't be many other jobs out there where the staff earn more than the manager they report in to.

Most established entertainment industry people. 

15 minutes ago, Gordon Gekko said:

Rovers 14/1 for Lampard’s next destination... random 

76062144-5189-488C-903B-ADDF4DFDDC0E.png

I don't know a huge amount about these sorts of markets, but I don't think they're really hinting at much. Probably more a case of them sussing that his next job is likely to be a Championship club (unless he gets offered the job at Palace) and that we're a pretty good candidate for having a vacancy in the near future. 

Would be an interesting choice if there were something in it though. Not sure how I'd feel about it.