BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

53 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Philosophy is fine if used correctly. If you sign the players to fit it and it includes winning as many matches as possible. Top clubs have a philosophy. They defend well, create from midfield and have strikers who find the back of the net. Everything else is frills and furbelows if you don't get that bit right

Look at how Barnsley have done it. Remarkable story this season. 

Brentford or Norwich also. 

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

Philosophy is fine if used correctly. If you sign the players to fit it and it includes winning as many matches as possible. Top clubs have a philosophy. They defend well, create from midfield and have strikers who find the back of the net. Everything else is frills and furbelows if you don't get that bit right

You could argue that all of that is just tactics. Its when priorities such as youth development or style become more important than results that thing go awry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Barnsley seems to doing ok without players over 30 years old?

I think Pike as right back option and McBride as striker option are ready but is Mowbray ready to trust them?

The problem with your suggestion is that we are not short in those particular positions. Pike and McBride are not as good as the players that are already there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rigger said:

The problem with your suggestion is that we are not short in those particular positions. Pike and McBride are not as good as the players that are already there.

Of course we are short in their positions. Rankin-Costello should be playing forward then Pike as back up for Nyambe. 

You wouldn't be expecting Pike and McBride to be as good as the players that are already there at their age. But by not given them first team game time last few games was a mistake by Mowbray. But you give them proper opportunities to play and game time instead of using players who weren't going to be staying. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Of course we are short in their positions. Rankin-Costello should be playing forward then Pike as back up for Nyambe. 

You wouldn't be expecting Pike and McBride to be as good as the players that are already there at their age. But by not given them first team game time last few games was a mistake by Mowbray. But you give them proper opportunities to play and game time instead of using players who weren't going to be staying. 

If as you say you would have given them game time, who would you have dropped for Pike and McBride. The only two I can see are Nyambe and Armstrong. Personally I would not have dropped either.

Just now, rigger said:

If as you say you would have given them game time, who would you have dropped for Pike and McBride. The only two I can see are Nyambe and Armstrong. Personally I would not have dropped either.

I answer this already to you several times. Why keep asking the same question. 

I would not play Nyambe for few games for Pike to play. 

Play McBride in front 3 from left or play 2 up front with Armstrong.

Easy solutions. 

We need a manager/head coach who believe in youth development 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I answer this already to you several times. Why keep asking the same question. 

I would not play Nyambe for few games for Pike to play. 

Play McBride in front 3 from left or play 2 up front with Armstrong.

Easy solutions. 

We need a manager/head coach who believe in youth development 

Just wondering Chaddy what makes you think Mcbride is good enough yet? Championship a different ball game to Under 23s. Look at Joe Nuttall, he was scoring for fun for our Under 23s then he was useless and simply not good enough in our first team at both league one and championship level. 

11 minutes ago, Butty said:

Just wondering Chaddy what makes you think Mcbride is good enough yet? Championship a different ball game to Under 23s. Look at Joe Nuttall, he was scoring for fun for our Under 23s then he was useless and simply not good enough in our first team at both league one and championship level. 

I thought Nuttall was decent enough tbh. Far from useless. 

Well until we give McBride a chance in the first team we will never know. He has score goals at under 23's. I like his movement. Do you watch many under 23's games? I rather play our young players then players like Evans and Downing who left the clubs last few games. Wouldnt you?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well until we give McBride a chance in the first team we will never know. He has score goals at under 23's. I like his movement. Do you watch many under 23's games? I rather play our young players then players like Evans and Downing who left the clubs last few games. Wouldnt you?

Yep McBride makes some great runs and has been pretty clinical in front of goal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You could argue that all of that is just tactics. Its when priorities such as youth development or style become more important than results that thing go awry. 

The summers talk and the seasons objective has been top 6 but it transitions into the above as time goes on and targets drift out of sight.

The only game or journey Mowbray is on here is the long one to his retirement and that of his gaggle of buddies.

Comfort zone plus 10 he's on here and he realized that years ago. Talk the talk, don't walk the walk then change the talk to suit. It just doesn't matter the owners nod along and shrug their shoulders in tandem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Butty said:

I've only seen a few of the U23 games this season that have been on YouTube. There are 3 or 4 players that regularly stand out but McBride hasn't been one of them. Probably not quite ready.

Nuttall's not done much at Blackpool. League 2 may be his level. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nuttall decent enough? He can’t get a game in league one. He’s a poor player Chaddy who will end up in the conference 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can only echo what others have said, Nuttall's poor. His only half-decent trait seemed to be finding himself in the right place at the right time (granted there are far worse attributes for a striker to have) but apart from that he didn't look like much of a footballer at all to be honest.

37 minutes ago, frosty said:

Can only echo what others have said, Nuttall's poor. His only half-decent trait seemed to be finding himself in the right place at the right time (granted there are far worse attributes for a striker to have) but apart from that he didn't look like much of a footballer at all to be honest.

Although he's only been in the right place at the right time about four times in over 2 years looking at his recent goal record.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

McBride wouldnt have played in central midfield anyway.

Totally agree that Mowbray should have taken a longer term view in his team selections towards the end of the season, but for me it should have been the young lads already on the fringes playing in that they are most likely to play next season, for example the midfield 3 on the last day which hadnt been seen prior, or maybe Dolan out wide.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

On Nuttall, maybe in League 2. Mowbray got that one right. 

McBride should be given minutes in pre-season alright 

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Woy is back on the market and still doesn’t want to retire. He was a flop at Ewood in the 1990s but would be better than  most suggestions. Any thoughts? 

No thanks.

He was crap here when he was in his prime, or at least a lot nearer thereto.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No thanks.

He was crap here when he was in his prime, or at least a lot nearer thereto.

I thought that might be the reaction. He made mistakes with Jack's money certainly but I'd take him now to be honest - he knows what he's doing and would surely be better than the present incumbent.