BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

It's the amount of money Hodgson/Kidd spent in the relegation season that was frightening.

Jimmy Corbett - 525k (Waste of money)

Kevin Davies - 7.5m (Huge waste of money)

Sebastien Perez - 3m (Talented, but homesick)

Darren Peacock - Free (Not as bad as people make out, but no Hendry/Berg)

Christian Daily - 5.3m (Huge waste of money)

Oumar Konde - 500k (Did he ever play?)

Nathan Blake - 4.25m (Did OK in division 1, but definitely a panic buy when Dion Dublin turned us down)

Keith Gillespie - 2.35m (I liked him, but hit and miss)

Ashley Ward - 4.5m (Hated him at the time, but we've had far worse since, but a waste of money)

Matt Jansen - 4.1m (One of the few success stories and about the only good thing Kidd did)

Jason McAteer - 4m (Another panic buy, did OK in patches and scored at Turf Moor - good memories)

David McNamee - 300k (Did he ever play?)

Burton O'Brien - 300k (Did he ever play?)

Lee Carsley - 3.4m (Did OK in division 1 before deciding he was too good for us, didn't like the guy, bit of a plodder)

To put those figures into some kind of perspective value wise:

Freddie Ljungberg to Arsenal - 3m (Sep 98)

Sami Hyypia to Liverpool - 3m (May 99)

We absolutely outspent everyone in the division and got relegated.

Might be the season before the one you're on about but Martin Dahlin as well.

£6m and never off the treatment table.

That's one of the things that upset Sherwood so much apparently. Came in on quite a bit more money than him.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

7 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Jack appears to have had a soft touch at times when he perhaps needed to be more ruthless. I'm not critising Jack, he did wonders but looking back when Kenny stepped upstairs, we should have recruited a new man. Zidane and Dugarry would also have bee nice 👍

I'm usually last person to criticise Jack Walker but I've touched on this in past. There are instances where he was too nice for sure. I've seen a video on youtube for instance where Wendy Howard actually asked him "is the club too big?". I would have fired her so fast she would have thought she was in a cannon. Jack said no by the way  😄 shockingly enough for a guy who used "think big" as his motto. Wendy did say on Twitter that she "retired" from Radio Rovers because she would have hit Kean so bonus points for that.

Of course Hodgson's better than Mowbray. Would he gain promotion though? ErIksson couldn't and look at the owners he had at Leicester. Hodgson said he was sorry for refusing to resign and forcing Jack to sack him. That's more than Sherwood's ever apologised for. Harford did spend money in 95-96 and if the signings were inadequate or just not title winning standard. As mentioned on other thread recently the blame lies with Harford. 

Also the club had no choice but to keep spending in 98-99 because the injury list was so bad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's one of the things that upset Sherwood so much apparently. Came in on quite a bit more money than him.

There was talk around that time that some of these guys were coming in on the same or bigger money than some who'd won the league here.

Makes sense when you consider how quickly the rot set in.

Edited by tomphil

13 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

It's the amount of money Hodgson/Kidd spent in the relegation season that was frightening.

Jimmy Corbett - 525k (Waste of money)

Kevin Davies - 7.5m (Huge waste of money)

Sebastien Perez - 3m (Talented, but homesick)

Darren Peacock - Free (Not as bad as people make out, but no Hendry/Berg)

Christian Daily - 5.3m (Huge waste of money)

Oumar Konde - 500k (Did he ever play?)

Nathan Blake - 4.25m (Did OK in division 1, but definitely a panic buy when Dion Dublin turned us down)

Keith Gillespie - 2.35m (I liked him, but hit and miss)

Ashley Ward - 4.5m (Hated him at the time, but we've had far worse since, but a waste of money)

Matt Jansen - 4.1m (One of the few success stories and about the only good thing Kidd did)

Jason McAteer - 4m (Another panic buy, did OK in patches and scored at Turf Moor - good memories)

David McNamee - 300k (Did he ever play?)

Burton O'Brien - 300k (Did he ever play?)

Lee Carsley - 3.4m (Did OK in division 1 before deciding he was too good for us, didn't like the guy, bit of a plodder)

To put those figures into some kind of perspective value wise:

Freddie Ljungberg to Arsenal - 3m (Sep 98)

Sami Hyypia to Liverpool - 3m (May 99)

We absolutely outspent everyone in the division and got relegated.

Yep, I've got zero time for Hodgson. 

• Like 2

All this talk about Hodgson and how terrible he was (even people preferring Mowbray to him - eh?) should remind people of what the true ebb and flow of football looks like.

You make bad decisions and things go badly but then you make good decisions and things get better.

Venkys’ club is just a series of bad decisions and does not fit into the normal good times and bad times that one would normally associate with being a football supporter.

All that said, after Eriksson reneged on his agreement with us and Hodgson came in, some of the football we played was the best I’ve ever seen from us. We were the best team in the country again for a while and then it went pear shaped. Yes, bad decisions were made in recruitment. Many would make the top 10 all-time worst signings! Hodgson was a coach and knows how to manage a team. The bad eggs that came in destroyed what he was trying to do and Sherwood was allegedly lead antagonist in the dressing room.

Before he came we had a team of leaders. Afterwards we had only “rubber dinghy men”. Good managers build a team of captains, Dalglish, Souness and Hughes followed the same blueprint, sadly we now have to look back at 1999 as still part of the good old days.

Jeez these threads are depressing. Like watching a Rovers compilation on the big screen of Tugay and Jansen et al, and then having to watch the kind of crap that we do.

• Like 9

I always remember Hodgeson more fondly than I perhaps should. That storming start, beating Arsenal at their place (including an amazing goal from Gally) securing European football in the last game of the season with a thunderous Sutton free kick, the emergence of Duff, signing Honchoz, a midfield as tough as nails, some of the premier League winning team still there. That first season I remember really fondly. 

As it is between Roy and Kidd they destroyed us. That kind of money should have seen us be one of the big 6 and at the top of the table for years to come. As it was we got a load of dross and wasted our financial reserves. Was a really poor time. 

That said compared to these days - at least then they were trying to do things right and had standards. both of those have left our club completely. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm sure the fee for Dahlin was nearer £2.5m (Obviously wages on top of that).

Had a bit of an ego on him did Hodgson, fancied himself as good as Fergie.

Hodgson later complained that his failure at Blackburn tarnished his reputation in England, whilst his record on the continent should have made him comparable to Sir Alex Ferguson: "Of course, my track record, if people bothered to study it, would put me in the same category as [Sir Alex] Ferguson enjoys today, but people don't talk about what I've done outside England", he says. "Here, they just talk about Blackburn Rovers, but that's just a very small part of a 26-year career. To most English journalists it's the only part. I've got an excellent track record in Sweden, Switzerland, Italy and in Denmark, where FC Copenhagen was my last job before I went to Udinese. We won the league there by seven points. Admittedly, the fact that I walked out and went to Italy to some extent tarnished that reputation...

A few years after us, he was sacked at Copenhagen for these comments. Newspapers quoted him saying: "Obviously I'm very happy to be back at this level of football, but I could have chosen a better club to come back to. It's an extremely strange club." Hodgson denied making the comments[38][39] but later claimed that he wanted to leave so was happy to be dismissed.

11 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

How bad has it got that we're now discussing the merits of a 73 year old former manager who was instrumental in our relegation (along with Kidd obviously) at the time & it actually seems like a preferable alternative! 😞

The strange thing is. We are discussing a situation that isn't even there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Yes, we might as well be discussing whether Roy Race would be decent for us, (I suggest googling for those fortunate enough to not have a clue who he is).

He had a hell of a shot on him. He could hit a ball harder than Shearer I reckon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Had a bit of an ego on him did Hodgson, fancied himself as good as Fergie.

Hodgson later complained that his failure at Blackburn tarnished his reputation in England, whilst his record on the continent should have made him comparable to Sir Alex Ferguson: "Of course, my track record, if people bothered to study it, would put me in the same category as [Sir Alex] Ferguson enjoys today, but people don't talk about what I've done outside England", he says. "Here, they just talk about Blackburn Rovers, but that's just a very small part of a 26-year career. To most English journalists it's the only part. I've got an excellent track record in Sweden, Switzerland, Italy and in Denmark, where FC Copenhagen was my last job before I went to Udinese. We won the league there by seven points. Admittedly, the fact that I walked out and went to Italy to some extent tarnished that reputation...

A few years after us, he was sacked at Copenhagen for these comments. Newspapers quoted him saying: "Obviously I'm very happy to be back at this level of football, but I could have chosen a better club to come back to. It's an extremely strange club." Hodgson denied making the comments[38][39] but later claimed that he wanted to leave so was happy to be dismissed.

I remember watching his team in Italy. He had Javier Zanetti, Ince, another top international, could have been Djorkaeff and Aaron Winter in midfield and they were awful to watch.

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Yes, we might as well be discussing whether Roy Race would be decent for us, (I suggest googling for those fortunate enough to not have a clue who he is).

He was that cracking striker for Melchester Rovers wasn't he.

• Like 2

The big difference between Mowbray and Hodgson as managers is that Hodgson has the ability to learn and adapt, whereas Mowbray has been playing the same way and making the same mistakes for the last 15 years. That's why one is a very solid reliable Premiership manager and the other has had one season in the division finishing rock bottom.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

Press reports say that West Brom are ready to open talks with Chris Wilder after Allardyce quit

No doubt we're waiting until all the decent options are snapped up before getting rid of Mowbray.

If WBA get Wilder I'd expect that to be one of the promotion positions sorted next season.

• Like 6