BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Birmingham - Away, Sat 2nd Jan

20 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Convinced that Gally could be a centre-half.

Reckon he's more of a centre half than a right winger.

He'd be a bit like Chris Samba, pacy, tall, physically dominant. Could see it working.

Can't really head the ball convincingly though which is a bit of an issue at CB. But then it's a bit of an issue as a forward also...

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

We seem to be out of the blocks quickly in most games at the moment but then after the first 15 minutes we start to go backwards. Against a dire Birmingham side we dominated the first half but then the second half was a complete contrast. Why? I just don’t think we have the ability to change our approach when the opposition start to get on top. The game drifts. Today we got away with it...a Birmingham leveller with 15 to go and we could have been staring down the barrel of another 2-1 reverse. 

• Like 3

So after a few hours reflection, I'm pleased with the win, really pleased for Dack, and certain TM isn't the right guy for us. 

Maybe I have run out of patience, but even the positives of certain players leave me frustrated. For example Dolan and Davenport - why have they had so little game time of late, when they can clearly contribute? Why Gally right wing? Our defensive situation is mostly of our own making. 

We were imo lucky we were playing a terrible, terrible Brum side. A better team could have caused us a lot more problems. It also shows why even under a TM death spiral we probably won't go down as there's some real dross in this league (and Brum aren't even in the relegation places!} So I see it more as a light relief rather than a turned corner. 

That said, great for Dack to get a goal after a horrible year. Good for Armstong too which will help keep his value up for when sold. And always nice to beat such a big club regardless of circumstances. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

im`e really relating to the 7 million he spent on brereton and the 5 million he spent on gallagher,hardly value especially when we needed and still do a centre back and a left back

I know what you are relating to, heard it enough times. 

Yet Armstrong, Dack, Dolan, Rothwell, Kaminski all just grew on trees.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

So after a few hours reflection, I'm pleased with the win, really pleased for Dack, and certain TM isn't the right guy for us. 

Maybe I have run out of patience, but even the positives of certain players leave me frustrated. For example Dolan and Davenport - why have they had so little game time of late, when they can clearly contribute? Why Gally right wing? Our defensive situation is mostly of our own making. 

We were imo lucky we were playing a terrible, terrible Brum side. A better team could have caused us a lot more problems. It also shows why even under a TM death spiral we probably won't go down as there's some real dross in this league (and Brum aren't even in the relegation places!} So I see it more as a light relief rather than a turned corner. 

That said, great for Dack to get a goal after a horrible year. Good for Armstong too which will help keep his value up for when sold. And always nice to beat such a big club regardless of circumstances. 

Agreed. People need to realise our opponent today. A win is a win & it might push us to win, 2 - 3 on the bounce. But I assure you with this mon in charge, it will not last. I’m finding it very hard to be positive. We still need a change on Management.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Convinced that Gally could be a centre-half.

Mm, for a big guy he's not the best header of the ball I've ever seen. However heading defensively isn't as critical as heading for goal. If I was the manager I'd be giving him a whirl in a practice match, see how he does. Nothing to lose is there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Worked out alright when he signed him in first place didn’t it?

That was then and you could still see the flaws in his game - lack of heading ability for a big guy, poor first touch, clumsy running with the ball, not physical enough. Then he goes to Big Club and he plays like he's playing for us at the moment. They don't want him so he ends up back at Southampton were he can't get a sniff of a game.

I wouldn't have had him back and I said so at the time. There must have been better players out there for the big money we paid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StevenSK said:

No that’s the perfect bit, couldn’t have done it better 🤷🏻‍♂️

We got a bit lucky with the run of the ball for the Dack goal but you've got to be up there to get the run of the ball and have the technique to dispatch a first time shot into the far corner. Two really good goals today made to look easy by the scorers and a points winning save from the keeper at the death. He made a really difficult save look easy as well.

• Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was then and you could still see the flaws in his game - lack of heading ability for a big guy, poor first touch, clumsy running with the ball, not physical enough. Then he goes to Big Club and he plays like he's playing for us at the moment. They don't want him so he ends up back at Southampton were he can't get a sniff of a game.

I wouldn't have had him back and I said so at the time. There must have been better players out there for the big money we paid.

I was referring to Armstrong, who he wanted to sell for the big bucks, who Mowbray signed.

Know what you mean about Gallagher, never really been convinced. There’s no doubting his work ethic, and he’s playing out of position, but yeah who knows.

£5 million really is peanuts for a striker these days, just baffles me some fans get so hung up on that, yet ignore the Dack and Armstrong fees.

If Armstrong was 5 million and Gallagher was 1 million, that would make more sense. Either way we spent £6 million and got both, and anyone who thinks that’s a bad deal is silly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wood26 said:

I was referring to Armstrong, who he wanted to sell for the big bucks, who Mowbray signed.

Know what you mean about Gallagher, never really been convinced. There’s no doubting his work ethic, and he’s playing out of position, but yeah who knows.

£5 million really is peanuts for a striker these days, just baffles me some fans get so hung up on that, yet ignore the Dack and Armstrong fees.

If Armstrong was 5 million and Gallagher was 1 million, that would make more sense. Either way we spent £6 million and got both, and anyone who thinks that’s a bad deal is silly.

I don't think it was peanuts for Rovers at the time. We could have got a seriously good championship standard centre half and a left back for that sort of dosh.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

is it not the legendary master of coaching ben benson thats mowbrays analyst,he`s always mincing about with a clipboard and a pen

Rovers win and you usual suspects baffling on about some Mowbray analyst crap. 

Try and enjoy the win, you don’t know when next one is coming ;)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

is it not the legendary master of coaching ben benson thats mowbrays analyst,he`s always mincing about with a clipboard and a pen

No, he’s the guy showing Kaminski videos on his laptop.

About goalkeeping, mostly.

But also Cobra Kai.

Anyway, we won today so no negativity is allowed now for the next 10 games. Just a shame Tattoo parlours are shut as they’d be making a fortune in “TM4EVA” tats this week.

• Like 3

Not the prettiest win, but felt good to win a bit ugly again. Today we did the dirty stuff which has been missing. Travis and Davenport gave that energy and balance you need when you play with so many offensive players. 

For me Davenport was MOM with a "Reed-esque" performance. Broke up play, tackled and good distribution. Should keep his place for me. 

Douglas did a suprinsingly good job as a right back, but his lack of pace and strength is very nerving to watch. Thought Gallagher did a good job helping him out defensively.

Armstrong was back to his best with a goal and general movement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

We seem to be out of the blocks quickly in most games at the moment but then after the first 15 minutes we start to go backwards. Against a dire Birmingham side we dominated the first half but then the second half was a complete contrast. Why? I just don’t think we have the ability to change our approach when the opposition start to get on top. The game drifts. Today we got away with it...a Birmingham leveller with 15 to go and we could have been staring down the barrel of another 2-1 reverse. 

And if Douglas shot that hit post against Stoke went in, it be 1-1 and they change their play and so on and so on.

Have I missed something where being 1-0 up away and then finishing the team off 2-0 as they chase the game is all of a sudden not a great result?

Edited by Wood26