BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn v Doncaster, FA Cup, Sat 9th Jan

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

God the two of ye and your "we were right all along with our insight" is a pretty sad take on things at this point. Schoolyard really. 

A lot of people, myself included, are very concerned about who they might replace him with. So it's not as simple as we sack him and get Bilic in. 

Sorry, we're at the point where it would be exceedingly different to do significantly worse. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pears like, what is that about? He looks worse than Steele. At least he's not our number 1 I suppose. 

Unless Kaminski gets injured. Scary thought. I'd rather have the Greek in goal at this point.

• Like 1

I can’t see us getting anything against Stoke if we play anything remotely like that dross today (besides the fact we haven’t beaten them at Ewood in the league since 2008). On today’s match...the Pears signing (and performance) is reminiscent of Miles Anderson...absolutely criminal that he’s even near the squad. What must the Greek lad be thinking? Surely today would have been the day to give him a chance. Brereton was almost back to the pre-improvement days today (although he at least put a shift in)...pretty much everyone stank the place out. That’s 4 consecutive third round defeats for Mowbray. Even Coyle got us to the 4th!!! The frustrating thing is that, as a fan, I currently feel powerless. The opprobrium I previously directed at Ince, Kean and Coyle from the stands is missing. The regime stumbles on in unaccountable fashion. Put a wedge on Stoke to win next week. 

• Like 5

What I find difficult to comprehend is, if BFS was sacked within 48 hours of the notorious defeat to MUFC, why displays like today's - and goodness knows there have been enough of them - haven't provoked a similar reaction by our owners towards Mowbray?

Do they not realise that their 'investment' is depreciating with every game like today's?

I know that nobody's allowed in to watch a 'live' game at the moment; but, really, displays like today's provide no incentive for fans to return to fortnightly attendance at Ewood once the All-Clear in the war against Covid19 has sounded.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

God the two of ye and your "we were right all along with our insight" is a pretty sad take on things at this point. Schoolyard really. 

A lot of people, myself included, are very concerned about who they might replace him with. So it's not as simple as we sack him and get Bilic in. 

Downing as player/manager

9 minutes ago, m1st said:

What I find difficult to comprehend is, if BFS was sacked within 48 hours of the notorious defeat to MUFC, why displays like today's - and goodness knows there have been enough of them - haven't provoked a similar reaction by our owners towards Mowbray?

Do they not realise that their 'investment' is depreciating with every game like today's?

I know that nobody's allowed in to watch a 'live' game at the moment; but, really, displays like today's provide no incentive for fans to return to fortnightly attendance at Ewood once the All-Clear in the war against Covid19 has sounded.

I’m guessing that nobody is in their ear about there being anything wrong, let alone him needing to be replaced (and there being “just the guy ready to take over”).

It’s just Mowbray, Venus and Waggot.

At this stage it’s looking like Suhail is utterly redundant and no longer has the ear of the family - probably don’t even take his calls. Or he’s now simply the fourth leg propping up the easy chair that is: running Blackburn Rovers Football Club. Nice work if you can get it.

• Like 2

My two cents about todays game:

When I first saw the line-up I thought that this game was very winnable. Especially when I saw Doncasters, that had their star man out. I was a bit baffled about Mowbray playing an attacking midfielder at RB. I thought he would have played Pike.

During the game I was firstly very disappointed with the state of our pitch. An attacking team with aspirations of playing in the Premier League should be able to offer their players a better pitch than that. I was also very surprised to see the technical level of our players. Lots of poor first touches and lots of poor passes. Maybe the pitch partly to blame. 

As the game neared its end and we were chasing a goal or 2 I was surprised to see that there were no ballboys at todays game. Isn't there usually or is it a Corona thing? It seemed ridiculous seeing our players running to get a ball every time we had a throw-in. It also helped the opponent keep their defensive shape.

Our players where below par today, no question about it. We should be able to score at home against a lower league team.

Unpopular opinion: Pears did alright, but made one stupid error which will get him judged. No doubt he should have saved their goal, but to his defence he did save a one-on-one and seemed confident otherwise.

Our back did as expected when playing two midfielders. Bell didn't do well but I expect he was subbed because he got a whack. Lenihan continues to disappoint me. His technical level is just not good enough. I actually thought Buckley did alright considering being played at RB, but that chance he missed........

Travis and Dack played as two players that have been out for ages. Had Dack gotten that huge chance before his injury he would have buried it, but he is not a striker. Travis looks off the pace.

Dolan has a lot of skill and a lot of energy. He does some good things, but more often than not it amounts to nothing. He needs end product. 

Brereton worked hard, but lacked the skill today. Also he disappointed me with his technical skill.

Mowbray seemed desperate as the game wore on. His subs screamed of desperation. His thinking must have been "just throw on everything semi-attacking no matter the cost".

Conclusion: Should have won today. Not good enough. To many players off it. Mowbray seemed confused. If im trying to find some positives this game will contribute getting Dack and Travis back to matchshape. 

Edited by DanielMB

21 minutes ago, m1st said:

Because Jerome Anderson made that call? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bit before my time 😉 but what would Downing taking over from Mowbray have in common with him and his situation? 

Kendall an inexperienced player/manager came into a reasonable but underperforming squad. He set up the defence to be hard to score against. He had similar playing history and seemed to thrive on the respect of the other players. He showed a passion for the game and the club he worked for. He also realised that at his age this was the chance to prolong his involvement in football as long as he was successful. Quite a few and important similarities.

• Like 3

Today was a good example of our league troubles and it's largely because we have a completely one dimensional manager, and a restricted budget. Just like our reserve keeper and seemingly unusable centre back - you get what you pay for, Mowbray was cheap and we've got everything we can out of him.

It's no good saying you were simply unable to break down a side a division lower. You should be able to, you have to be able to and if you can't you must be made accountable for why your team can't. He is now repeatedly saying "we were unable to break them down" yet approaches every fixture or style the same way. 

He is the reason we're not getting results against teams that are worse than ours. It's not down to bad luck and sadly it will continue in the league with or without new defenders.

I like the guy and wanted him to take us up but he isn't capable. The failures this season are down to Mowbray and the owners. One of them must take responsibility and make a change.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Kendall an inexperienced player/manager came into a reasonable but underperforming squad. He set up the defence to be hard to score against. He had similar playing history and seemed to thrive on the respect of the other players. He showed a passion for the game and the club he worked for. He also realised that at his age this was the chance to prolong his involvement in football as long as he was successful. Quite a few and important similarities.

That would be fantastic, but there is no guarantee Downing would be a success. We have had a long list of managers with little experience since Kendall who didn't work out. I would be happy with someone until the end of the season and then if that didn't work, have due process done for who to appoint during the summer. 

I would go Roy Keane. I think he could give us the short term boost we need and it certainly wouldn't be boring. As an appointment I think it would work for both parties. I agree we have the players, they just aren't performing. I think that's because they are as confused as we are by Mowbray. God we just need to go back to basics and keep things simple. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That would be fantastic, but there is no guarantee Downing would be a success. We have had a long list of managers with little experience sense Kendall who didn't work out. I would be happy with someone until the end of the season and then if that didn't work, have due process done for who to appoint during the summer. 

I would go Roy Keane. I think he could give us the short term boost we need and it certainly wouldn't be boring. As an appointment I think it would work for both parties. I agree we have the players, they just aren't performing. I think that's because they are as confused as we are by Mowbray. God we just need to go back to basics and keep things simple. 

Although nothing can be guaranteed. The nearest thing to a certainty we have is that we are going nowhere with Mowbray

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, neophox said:

I think Gareth Ainsworth would be interesting or that German who was manager Wagner... Young with experience of getting the best out of players.. 

I’d love Ainsworth, Blackburn lad, done miracles at Wycombe. 

• Like 2