BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

DIY Disasters!

As we've all been taking on a few more DIY projects during the last 9 months or so, a couple of recent incidents which happened to myself gave me an idea for a thread where we could share our little anecdotes and let everyone else have a good laugh at our expense. 

The idea is not to get into debates of whether someone is stupid or not as, let's be honest, most DIY disasters are as a result of stupidity somewhere along the line. Occasionally sheer incompetence, but usually stupidity!

Ok, first one for me (and bear in mind I'm an electrical engineer). I wanted to install a high level power socket & aerial outlet in the bedroom rather than having wires dangling everywhere. No problem, I've got this covered. Identified 2No wires in the loft dropping directly above a twin socket in the bedroom. Ok, that's the upstairs ring, I'll just break into that and extend down to the HL socket.

MCB off, checked the socket was dead, bingo. Wire cutters out, snip - BANG!!! WTF?. Hang on, that's a 4-core cable!!, what the hell is that for? Anyway, repaired the cable, power back on, everything seemed fine. Completed the job using a different circuit. All is well, or so I thought.

Later on that evening - "Why's there no hot water?"

"oh shit!" 

Changed the fuse on the boiler supply, still no joy. Boiler won't reset or fire up.

Basically, it'd taken out one of the quick blow fuses in the boiler which I had to get a work colleague to come & change for me the following day as he's Gas Safe - formerly CORGI - registered & yes, he did take the piss!

Moral of the story, don't assume you know what's what just because you deal with it every day, check it out properly. Undone by complacency!  ☺️

I still blame the guy that installed the supply for the boiler though as the cable routing is completely stupid & it can't possibly be my fault! 😅

• Like 1

Not exactly DIY but when I was an apprentice we were doing a loft conversion in the Old School House in Wiswell. I was up in the loft and stood on a hammer that had been left on a joist, slipped off and both my legs were hanging through the ceiling of the utility room where the house owners were having their breakfast.

I lowered myself through and apologised for dropping in, which at the time I thought was quite funny in the circumstances.

My boss (a quick tempered sort of fella) instantly sacked me on the spot to which I replied "you'd better take me home then" as I was too young to drive, so he instantly re instated me with a severe bollocking. 😁

• Like 2

I have both a lack of skill and a lack of desire to do any sort of DIY.

It drives me mad. If I had it my way I'd never do a thing. 

One thing that does strike me about Americans is that a lot of them do all sorts around the house. New kitchen floor; done. New bathroom; why not.  

I have a mate who is a schoolteacher with no trade training at all. He spent the last few years completely renovating his house. He did it all by himself top to bottom, including a new roof and fitting out his basement. I'd never dream of attempting anything like that.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Apart from the usual hammering a loose floorboard down and putting the nail through a water pipe I haven't had any DIY disasters.  However in my working life ? I could write a book.

My wife once knocked a full bucket of wallpaper paste over a brand new carpet that had been laid the day before.

😅. I bet you always get the carpet fitted after decorating now!

• Like 2

I'm an accountant and my father in law to be is a builder. I quite like giving DIY a go but I'm in a constant battle with my missus so she'll let me do DIY "just ask dad to do it, hes a builder you're just an accountant!!!!" Whenever I embark on a DIY project I'm so so cautious cos I'm scared that one mishap means I'll be banned from DIY. 

I'm quite stubborn so this lead me to spend a good 7 hours putting a shed up by myself cos I didnt even want to ask anyone to hold two panels together for me. Tiled the bathroom wall at the weekend which is my first time tiling. Earned a compliment from the father in law when my missus sent him a picture so chuffed with that. 

All this can only mean I'm going to fall through the ceiling when I board out the loft. 

• Like 5

I once replaced a door handle on the bathroom. Forgot to screw on the handle on the outside of the door so when she closed the door it locked in the latch but handle and spindle thing fell off the other side and she couldn’t open the door and therefore couldn’t get out. I’d also gone out somewhere. Wasn’t a happy camper. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Not exactly DIY but when I was an apprentice we were doing a loft conversion in the Old School House in Wiswell. I was up in the loft and stood on a hammer that had been left on a joist, slipped off and both my legs were hanging through the ceiling of the utility room where the house owners were having their breakfast.

I lowered myself through and apologised for dropping in, which at the time I thought was quite funny in the circumstances.

My boss (a quick tempered sort of fella) instantly sacked me on the spot to which I replied "you'd better take me home then" as I was too young to drive, so he instantly re instated me with a severe bollocking. 😁

When I was on the maintenance at one place I got called up to the drawing office on the morning of the first day back after a really cold Xmas. There were drips of water coming through the ceiling. When I got up into the loft I found a couple of copper water pipes had been pushed apart by the ice forming inside the pipes. The ice was slowly melting. There were small pools of water forming on the top of the ceiling panels . As I was carefully making my along a joist in the dark I lost my footing and one leg went right though the ceiling panel. That wouldn't have been so bad but all the dusty water in the loft followed my leg down the hole. Even that wouldn't have been too bad but the stream of dirty water went all over a drawing the Chief draughtsman was just putting the finishing touches to ! Probably about 3 weeks work ruined !

He wasn't too happy and he stormed into the Managing Directors office saying I'd done it on purpose ! No consideration for my crushed nuts when I landed crotch first on the joist !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

I once replaced a door handle on the bathroom. Forgot to screw on the handle on the outside of the door so when she closed the door it locked in the latch but handle and spindle thing fell off the other side and she couldn’t open the door and therefore couldn’t get out. I’d also gone out somewhere. Wasn’t a happy camper. 

I've done that to myself but I had screwdriver with me that fitted into the square hole in the lock so I could get out !

• Backroom

Spent all summer redoing baby's room ready for his arrival. Tore down old plaster, replastered it, sanded down, lined up the wallpaper, took about 2-3 weeks all in. Had a week's rest.

Took delivery of the cot, took it upstairs, held the box at the wrong angle, plank slid out straight through the wall.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I was on the maintenance at one place I got called up to the drawing office on the morning of the first day back after a really cold Xmas. There were drips of water coming through the ceiling. When I got up into the loft I found a couple of copper water pipes had been pushed apart by the ice forming inside the pipes. The ice was slowly melting. There were small pools of water forming on the top of the ceiling panels . As I was carefully making my along a joist in the dark I lost my footing and one leg went right though the ceiling panel. That wouldn't have been so bad but all the dusty water in the loft followed my leg down the hole. Even that wouldn't have been too bad but the stream of dirty water went all over a drawing the Chief draughtsman was just putting the finishing touches to ! Probably about 3 weeks work ruined !

He wasn't too happy and he stormed into the Managing Directors office saying I'd done it on purpose ! No consideration for my crushed nuts when I landed crotch first on the joist !

😄

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

To be honest, literally anything I’ve ever attempted. I’m absolutely hopeless.

Apart from painting, I’m not too bad at that....

Same here. I'm the Homer Simpson of DIY so have tried to avoid it for years.

Despite that 2 of the major accidents I've had to date have been in the house but involved thinking I can cook and hot liquids. I suppose that's a sort of DIY .......

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Same here. I'm the Homer Simpson of DIY so have tried to avoid it for years.

Despite that 2 of the major accidents I've had to date have been in the house but involved thinking I can cook and hot liquids. I suppose that's a sort of DIY .......

That’s the thing, I’ve had quite the traditional role reversal, I’m good at cooking and a bit OCD, so everything is very tidy! 
I blame my Dad. He is the one supposed to pass these skills down and he just gets other people to do it for him. 
‘Why should I do it when I could pay someone to do a better job than I could?’.

Can’t fault the logic really!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

That’s the thing, I’ve had quite the traditional role reversal, I’m good at cooking and a bit OCD, so everything is very tidy! 
I blame my Dad. He is the one supposed to pass these skills down and he just gets other people to do it for him. 

I also should have got the skills from my dad but he was always very much the "no you're doing it all wrong give it here" type. Very very good at DIY though. I didnt take it personally because I remember we got a new kitchen put in (a rare time he got someone in to do it), it was an old shaped house with odd shaped walls and tbf I thought the kitchen looked smart but he speant the next few months slowly taking panels off and proper crafting them to fit the shape of the wall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Again same here with the ''Keep it Tidy OCB'' which is my main bitch with the overly untidy Missus.

Must admit quite keen on DIY, well the bit were you plan everything then go on a shopping trip to the DIY store to buy nice shiny tools and materials, then put everything nicely stacked in the shed , then my enthusiasm  subsides  :)

Just wished I had paid more (any)attention to my Dad. One of those self taught blokes who could do most DIY and things like make his own window frames etc. Usually I would bugger off somewhere or have something else to do when he came down to my house to "help" me do some DIY because I didn't have the right tools etc.

Lot of humble pie was eaten when I moved over here and had to try and do stuff myself, and the weekly phone call home asking how to do things and what tools needed. Unfortunately he died four years ago and yet still get the urge to give him a ring when I'm in the planning stages of some project.

Youtube and a rather helpful part time handyman who's working to pay his way through uni, are the go to's now

As for biggest disaster, Not long after moving here building a rather large veggie patch and using pine that was not termite resistant treated!  Never having come across termites before (not much of a problem in Blackburn) , I thought they were only a problem out in the bush! It looked good while it lasted though 

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

Must admit quite keen on DIY, well the bit were you plan everything then go on a shopping trip to the DIY store to buy nice shiny tools and materials, then put everything nicely stacked in the shed , then my enthusiasm  subsides  :)

Just wished I had paid more (any)attention to my Dad. One of those self taught blokes who could do most DIY and things like make his own window frames etc. Usually I would bugger off somewhere or have something else to do when he came down to my house to "help" me do some DIY because I didn't have the right tools etc.

Lot of humble pie was eaten when I moved over here and had to try and do stuff myself, and the weekly phone call home asking how to do things and what tools needed. Unfortunately he died four years ago and yet still get the urge to give him a ring when I'm in the planning stages of some project.

Youtube and a rather helpful part time handyman who's working to pay his way through uni, are the go to's now

As for biggest disaster, Not long after moving here building a rather large veggie patch and using pine that was not termite resistant treated!  Never having come across termites before (not much of a problem in Blackburn) , I thought they were only a problem out in the bush! It looked good while it lasted though 

Proper planning and preparation is the key to success in DIY. I spent a lot of time on that as an apprentice at college and night school. Another thing I used to tell the kids at school - " Don't just see the job being a success story in your head, try and see what can go wrong before it does ".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Proper planning and preparation is the key to success in DIY. I spent a lot of time on that as an apprentice at college and night school. Another thing I used to tell the kids at school - " Don't just see the job being a success story in your head, try and see what can go wrong before it does ".

Years ago, a guy on site told me to remember the 6Ps - Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. It's stuck with me ever since. (Apart from when I nearly killed the boiler that is!)

Edited by windymiller7

On one hand I've ballsed up, but on the other hand I've got all you DIY folk to help 😂

So taking the splashback off from behind the sink in the bathroom and I've taken half the drywall with it, it's about the only thing persimmon have fitted with any sturdyness. My Q is, what's the best way to fill it if I'm going to be tiliing over it. Is it ok go use Pollyfilla? I'm not bothered about how its finished as will be tiling over it so just bothered with the tiles staying on the wall. 

Pics so you can see damage. 

And remember the rules of the thread are to not call me stupid 😂

20210115_175847.jpg

20210115_175843.jpg

Edited by RoverDom

• Backroom

I'd personally use plaster, just that ready mixed stuff from B&Q will do. Polyfilla for a hole that big will look messy and, although you're not bothered about the finish, you want as even a surface as possible for your tiles.

Just asked my dad, he's a bit old-fashioned, 'Treat every wall as if you're painting it'.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'd personally use plaster, just that ready mixed stuff from B&Q will do. Polyfilla for a hole that big will look messy and, although you're not bothered about the finish, you want as even a surface as possible for your tiles.

Just asked my dad, he's a bit old-fashioned, 'Treat every wall as if you're painting it'.

I'm just happy the answer wasnt "get your father in law out" 

• Like 1