BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City Home

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Did we kick off the season earlier than the rest of the league, as the majority I’ve seen in the Championship are nowhere near as bad as ours...

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-north-end-boss-says-pitches-are-suffering-because-years-reduced-summer-break-3080623

Also - from what TM said Swansea recently relaid theirs.

38 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Another old story - but lack of preparation time during summer could be one of the reasons

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/pitch-up-look-sharp/

A very telling line in that article:

"People get it in their head that it's a brand new pitch, but it's not. It's more of a make do and mend job."

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

‘We’ll put the postponement in the bag and move on’.

Unless we get a few adverse results in the next fixturea in which case the postponement will have disrupted momentum and our plans. "It is what it is but the postponement didn't help our momentum." 

• Backroom

As kick off time approaching this one seems more baffling, no rain; we’ve had a bit this afternoon but nothing bad at all.

Theres no way we should have an unplayable pitch in these conditions 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Surely Mowbray would have had an input on whether to allocate limited funds on the pitch or give Smallwood and Hart and Gladwin new contracts not to play for us or give Downing a new deal etc.

I agree Waggott bears primary responsibility, he has overall control of the day to day running of the Club and should have over-ruled Mowbray as surely having an acceptable playing surface should be near the list top of our list of priorities, It's one thing we can control.

Hardly surprising though, how can we expect a decent pitch when those on the ground at Ewood didn't have enough pride in the place to keep it free of weeds a few months back.

If JH is right about only having one set of Frost covers to go between Ewood and Brockhall (and the 100 Club had to pay for those) then that is absurd penny pinching in the extreme. 

The Club is an absolute farce from the dug out to the Boardroom. As with the results we can only hope those in India have sat up and taken notice of the state of the pitch on Saturday and today's postponement and start handing out a few P45's pretty sharpish.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We can only hope those in India have sat up and taken notice of the state of the pitch on Saturday and today's postponement and start handing out a few P45's pretty sharpish.

Good one Rev, I think it's far more likely they'll be celebrating India superb cricket victory in Australia than their half-forgotten English football club. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good one Rev, I think it's far more likely they'll be celebrating India superb cricket victory in Australia than their half-forgotten English football club. 

Even they must notice they have to write out a cheque for £20m every year to keep us afloat though.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Even they must notice they have to write out a cheque for £20m every year to keep us afloat though.

I'd question jim's use of half forgotten.  20MILL? Balaji probably drops more on Bling and his Indian Mr T look a like

• Like 1

Without taking away the neglect of our pitches and the shambolic running of the club, the reason for this postponement IMHO is not Rovers fault.

The weather, the weather forecast, and the flood warnings are the genuine and good reason. If the River Darwen gets so full as to be nearly bursting its banks and the rain continues to fall (as forecasted) there is nowhere for the water on Ewood to drain to.

This happened in Uncle Jack's days when the Wimbledon Crazy Gang did belly flops into the Ewood lake when the match was cancelled before KO.

24 minutes ago, bazza said:

Without taking away the neglect of our pitches and the shambolic running of the club, the reason for this postponement IMHO is not Rovers fault.

The weather, the weather forecast, and the flood warnings are the genuine and good reason. If the River Darwen gets so full as to be nearly bursting its banks and the rain continues to fall (as forecasted) there is nowhere for the water on Ewood to drain to.

This happened in Uncle Jack's days when the Wimbledon Crazy Gang did belly flops into the Ewood lake when the match was cancelled before KO.

If memory serves me there was a violent downpour immediately before that Wimbledon game. 

There's nothing you can do about a flash flood but when it has rained today it's been steady rather than torrential so I don't think that with a well maintained pitch in good condition with reasonable drainage it'd be a given the game would be off.

Given the current state of the pitch and the weather over the last 24 hours it was fairly inevitable however and it probably won't be the only time.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

So we sit alongside illustrious peers Blackpool, Crawley, Carlisle and Lincoln as the only League games to be postponed due to the bad weather. The only one in the Championship and I'll hazard a guess we will be the only one this season.

Despite horrible weather and storms affecting a large part of Northern England they've managed to overcome it at Derby, Rotherham, Doncaster, Crewe, Tranmere and Morecambe to name a few.

To be honest I'm absolutely disgusted and fuming about it. Not surprised because I've been expecting something like this to happen for a while given the running of the club.

You're hitting a low ebb when people involved with the likes of Preston and Accy Stanley are calling us tinpot for not being able to get the game on.

I'd never admit it to rivals but between fellow Rovers fans I think that is what we have become. Tinpot. All thanks to our negligent owners and their regime.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd never admit it to rivals but between fellow Rovers fans I think that is what we have become. Tinpot. All thanks to our negligent owners and their regime.

Not sure I'd blame the owners for this, Mowbray and Waggott agree an overall budget with them every year for the playing side and the non playing side and it's down to the people on the ground at Ewood  to ensure the basics such as having a pitch capable of hosting professional football. 

It doesn't need to be the best in the Country.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom said:

As kick off time approaching this one seems more baffling, no rain; we’ve had a bit this afternoon but nothing bad at all.

Theres no way we should have an unplayable pitch in these conditions 

It was unplayable on Saturday.

After rain and 90 minutes of football we're lucky we were able to call this game off. It would have been another black mark against the club.

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Priority for the playing side? Of course, as John Williams used to say the point of running a football club is to get the very best team on the pitch that budget allows. However, it’s become strikingly obvious that to keep a semi-competitive Championship squad the non playing side is run on a shoestring (executive pay aside, of course).

Weed infested, filthy stadium, litter piled up, cabbage patch pitch, skeleton staff for maintenance and groundwork, closed Radio Rovers, closed RoverVision, closed DEnd, closed BBEnd Upper, closed town centre shop, leaking roofs, closed Blues Bar, run down merchandising. All supplemented with steep price increases for tickets (with surcharges) and food/drink.

Of course, the success of the first team is what everything else hangs from within a football club, but contract extensions for Gladwin, Hart et al sticks in the craw whilst the infrastructure of the club falls to pieces...

Indeed.

And the people who were paid not to play aside, the annual wage of a lead swinger like Evans would probably be enough to cover a brand new state of the art pitch and maintenance on the stadium for a couple of years.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

Exactly 62 years ago all Ally retrieves the ball from the River Darwen. Look how swollen it was then. Can’t remember the river ever being that high. Looks like the lads had just been training on the Ewood pitch as well. 

3B86659B-4483-4D22-A158-007AC8CA85CE.jpeg

Probably training on 'Little Wembley' which was behind the row of terraced houses at the Blackburn End.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Exactly 62 years ago all Ally retrieves the ball from the River Darwen. Look how swollen it was then. Can’t remember the river ever being that high. Looks like the lads had just been training on the Ewood pitch as well. 

It’s a wonder Noddy didn’t get a dose of Weils disease after wading in the rat infested River Darren.

35 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Wasn't that down Pleasington?