BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Glad to hear Buckley had a good game, alongside Trybull. Hopefully, it'll give him a confidence boost and those two can develop a good partnership.

I was disappointed to see Buckley and Dack, in the highlights, motionless as the penalty was taken. Fortunately, for them, they didn't get shown up but would expect players to be looking to pick up a rebound.

Edited by riverholmes

Well, it's been a long time coming, but Buckley finally had a game. Not a few flashes, or a solid game still speckled with some wtf moments, but an honest to god full performance where he finally showed the majority of us that he can impact games, and that he could be a proper player for us to merit all the hype he has had.

Well done John Buckley!

Long may it continue. Nobody plays without the odd bum match, and this one swallow doesn't make a summer, but if he can continue in this vein he will be a good player for us.

In this game and the one before, his application has been exactly where it needs to be. He looks braver, more committed, more confident, and I think that's made all the difference. Even when he was playing sloppy passes first half against Millwall, his head didn't drop and he kept getting stuck in and wanting the ball until it clicked. Go on lad!

• Like 6

His game on Saturday I thought was his best game in a Rovers shirt. Definitely not to the standard some on here bigged it up too. But it was a huge improvement.

Tonight though he stepped it up again. The biggest difference for me is that he is snapping into tackles and looks to have a little more stamina about him. One of his 70 yard passes to Brereton tonight was genuinely world class. I thought he had a really, really good game. The only criticism I'd have is he was at times a little slow to pick a pass on one or two occasions. But that is being hyper critical. He deserves his place in the side right now. It's not a case of giving him game time. The shirt should be his to lose for the next few games.

• Like 2

There was one part where he did a lovely turn then looked like a rabbit in the headlights with no clue of what to do next, which was worrying. Next time he got it he played that brilliant pass to Brereton which was very impressive.

I felt like his off the ball work on Saturday was better than on the ball, and he put himself about again tonight but I felt on the ball he was better and more decisive.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There was one part where he did a lovely turn then looked like a rabbit in the headlights with no clue of what to do next, which was worrying. Next time he got it he played that brilliant pass to Brereton which was very impressive.

I felt like his off the ball work on Saturday was better than on the ball, and he put himself about again tonight but I felt on the ball he was better and more decisive.

Growing in confidence massively, performances will improve as he starts to feel a part of the team.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought that was a breakthrough performance by Buckley, he looked the best midfielder on the pitch.

Yeah he needed a performance like that. Who in our squad could see and ping a pass like he did to BB? Dack, Holtby, possibly Rothwell? Other than those, nobody.

We have always known he is technically good on the ball and can ping it around though, what impressed me more was his off the ball play. Biting into tackles and getting involved more.

Still, its one good performance versus quite a few that were underwhelming but it was one he needed and perhaps he can gain confidence from that and it becomes the level of his standard performances going forward. 

• Like 2

The one thing Buckley does well, even when he's underwhelmed, is knicking the ball back. We really saw that at the forefront last night alongside his obvious technical ability. His decision making was just much, much better tonight. Pleased for him. Hopefully he can kick on in the way that Travis did when he properly started to get starts.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Buckley is a player for me. I formed that opinion early on after seeing him play for the under 23's. His ability to ghost past opponents and play on the half turn are natural traits and something that should improve over time. Of course he needs to sharpen up some aspects of his game but I haven't seen anything that a good coach can't work on with him to make him better.

My real doubt is the standard of the current coaches.

Bring back Ribblesdale

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Buckley is a player for me. I formed that opinion early on after seeing him play for the under 23's. His ability to ghost past opponents and play on the half turn are natural traits and something that should improve over time. Of course he needs to sharpen up some aspects of his game but I haven't seen anything that a good coach can't work on with him to make him better.

I remember comments from Alex Ferguson about Henderson's running style , I think Buckleys is even more distinctive. Really upright and straight. He def has a bit about him alright though on the ball and his tackling was good last night. The signs last 2 games are very positive. If he has half the career Henderson has had, he will do alright! 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Having the ability to turn out of trouble with the ball instead of into it is a great skill to have. Simon Barker was particularly good at it, he must have had eyes in the back of his head.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

The one thing Buckley does well, even when he's underwhelmed, is knicking the ball back. We really saw that at the forefront last night alongside his obvious technical ability.

Nah I'd say that's a relatively recent development as far as his first team performances go. The last two games in fact. The odd patch aside.

Always had a Phil Foden-esque gait to him (yes, a poor man’s etc), but has struggled with the physical side.

Last night, he did a little shift of his hips to beat his man, and got to the byline to put a ball across for Dack and the Stockport Phil vibes were strong...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Nah I'd say that's a relatively recent development as far as his first team performances go. The last two games in fact. The odd patch aside.

May not have happened at the rate we've seen in the last two games, but it was apparent even from his cameo appearances to date that it's a strength of his.

14 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

May not have happened at the rate we've seen in the last two games, but it was apparent even from his cameo appearances to date that it's a strength of his.

Nah not for me. I've considered his ball-winning a weakness until now, due to his light weight, easily knocked off the ball, lacking aggression approach. Now he is applying himself in terms of aggression and being braver, he is winning the ball well too.

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Nah not for me. I've considered his ball-winning a weakness until now, due to his light weight, easily knocked off the ball, lacking aggression approach. Now he is applying himself in terms of aggression and being braver, he is winning the ball well too.

Game of opinions. Agree to disagree. He's starting to perform better overall & winning us the ball, which is all that matters.

For clarity, I agree he's lightweight. 

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Buckley

Above link to Mowbray article in the LT.

Bucko is ‘the one’ they believe will go the full distance. 👍🏼🔥

They may but you never rated him 😛

To be honest I’ve seen brief flashes but never the full Bucky O’Hare that people rave about

The clips I saw of last night suggest he has it, there’s a certain poise and elegance about his play there.

Seen too many games where he’s a passenger but hopefully a run of games now will give him the consistency and confidence he needs 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

To be honest I’ve seen brief flashes but never the full Bucky O’Hare that people rave about

The clips I saw of last night suggest he has it, there’s a certain poise and elegance about his play there.

Seen too many games where he’s a passenger but hopefully a run of games now will give him the consistency and confidence he needs 

😂😂😂😂😂

53 minutes ago, Tom said:

YESSSS!!! Thanks so much. You’re right, as I’ve said on SOOOO many occasions I hadn’t seen enough of him hence I didn’t rate. Buzzing you took the time to prove my point. Which was that THEY believe him to be the one. A point that was dismissed, out of hand by many on here.

Great to be proven right. Thanks for digging that up and backing me up pal 👍🏼😊

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1