BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

YESSSS!!! Thanks so much. You’re right, as I’ve said on SOOOO many occasions I hadn’t seen enough of him hence I didn’t rate. Buzzing you took the time to prove my point. Which was that THEY believe him to be the one. A point that was dismissed, out of hand by many on here.

Great to be proven right. Thanks for digging that up and backing me up pal 👍🏼😊

😂

I’m genuinely impressed with what he showed last night, he has confidence in his interviews I think he may benefit from gaining a bit of swagger about himself

Shit beard though 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

YESSSS!!! Thanks so much. You’re right, as I’ve said on SOOOO many occasions I hadn’t seen enough of him hence I didn’t rate. Buzzing you took the time to prove my point. Which was that THEY believe him to be the one. A point that was dismissed, out of hand by many on here.

Great to be proven right. Thanks for digging that up and backing me up pal 👍🏼😊

Not sure that one good performance proves your point when your opinion was that you didnt rate him! 

The fact that he is highly rated was clear by the fact that he has always been in the first team squad for 2 years. Didnt require supposed ITK contacts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure that one good performance proves your point when your opinion was that you didnt rate him! 

The fact that he is highly rated was clear by the fact that he has always been in the first team squad for 2 years. Didnt require supposed ITK contacts.

He said it well before Buckley was a regular in the squad

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He said it well before Buckley was a regular in the squad

Even if that is the case, im not sure the I told you so routine is warranted when he said he didnt rate the player and provoked off the back of 1 good performance. There was also stuff about him being worth 10m with Premier League clubs sniffing, maybe they will be proven in time but well off at this moment in time.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if that is the case, im not sure the I told you so routine is warranted when he said he didnt rate the player and provoked off the back of 1 good performance. There was also stuff about him being worth 10m with Premier League clubs sniffing, maybe they will be proven in time but well off at this moment in time.

I'm sure he can speak for himself but surely that should apply the other way round aswell?

As every time Buckley has a bad game he gets posts thrown at him saying how useless Buckley is and how he will never make it at this level.

As far as I can recall Paul Mani never said Buckley was worth 10 million?He said he had heard from the staff they believe he could be a 10 million player and he was the one the staff felt had a real chance of being a premier League player 

• Like 1

I'm not getting over excited just yet as it's only been a couple of good games, however, those last two appearances have been very much improved.

Saturday, I thought we were on for another one of "those" performances as he misplaced numerous passes, however, later on in the 1st half and in the 2nd, something just seemed to click and we got a decent performance from him. On Tuesday he carried this on and even took it up a few notches, putting in a very impressive performance and, for me, it was between him & Trybull for MotM.

I've been one who's criticised him in the past, but also followed that up with "yet" or "at the moment" and "I hope he proves me wrong". Looks like I might be proved wrong.

I'm certainly not one for knocking one of our own products just for the sake of it. I'm a Rover, why would I not want to see one of our lads turn out to be a cracker?

Keep this up John & I certainly won't mind tucking into a decent sized slice of humble pie - I might even get a bit of custard to go with it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, islander200 said:

I'm sure he can speak for himself but surely that should apply the other way round aswell?

As every time Buckley has a bad game he gets posts thrown at him saying how useless Buckley is and how he will never make it at this level.

As far as I can recall Paul Mani never said Buckley was worth 10 million?He said he had heard from the staff they believe he could be a 10 million player and he was the one the staff felt had a real chance of being a premier League player 

That’s exactly what I said, thanks mate. It was also well before Buckley became our most used U23 and the reason I’m happy to be being proven right on what I said, is because I got SO much hammer for it at the time.

However, Rovers treatment of Buckley since then (playing regularly, in every match day squad, longest contract at the club and numerous management / staff interviews the latest whereby the manager also states they believe he will be a PL player) all indicate that I was telling the truth. He was seen as the jewel in their crown then and, a bit like Foden at City, they’ve resisted all advances (There’s been many) to take him on loan because they want him close to them. They believe he’s special as do many fans / posters who are avid 23’s / youth team watchers.

The fact that I’ve always stressed I hadn’t seen enough of him, I thought would have been received better.

The ‘8 figure’ valuation came from people at the club following on from a conversation involving two PL scouts who were at the match to watch Buckley who had just started to make the odd cameo appearance.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

On 06/11/2019 at 12:40, Paul Mani said:

He will finish up playing with Trav in the middle as a deep lying pivot. A Busquets type who has time on the ball. 

He will go on to play in the Prem. imo.

Never said it. Nope. Never. 

• Like 2

On 11/03/2021 at 13:53, windymiller7 said:

I'm not getting over excited just yet as it's only been a couple of good games, however, those last two appearances have been very much improved.

Saturday, I thought we were on for another one of "those" performances as he misplaced numerous passes, however, later on in the 1st half and in the 2nd, something just seemed to click and we got a decent performance from him. On Tuesday he carried this on and even took it up a few notches, putting in a very impressive performance and, for me, it was between him & Trybull for MotM.

I've been one who's criticised him in the past, but also followed that up with "yet" or "at the moment" and "I hope he proves me wrong". Looks like I might be proved wrong.

I'm certainly not one for knocking one of our own products just for the sake of it. I'm a Rover, why would I not want to see one of our lads turn out to be a cracker?

Keep this up John & I certainly won't mind tucking into a decent sized slice of humble pie - I might even get a bit of custard to go with it!

Another good performance last night - he still has a lot to learn, but we are finally starting to see what so many at the club obviously saw.

What was pleasing - was him taking a yellow card for the team. Yes it was of his own making - but after three matches in quick succession he showed great determination.

• Like 2

Was good again last night.

Was rubbing my hands to see him and Trav in the middle together when he came on...

Then Travis immediately flew into a tackle and injured himself.

Goes with the territory I suppose 🤣

Yeh he was decent against Brentford. Somewhere between the last game and the one before that in terms of level. He is in good form over these last 3 games, long may it continue. It's nice to finally feel I can be a bit excited about the lad and his future here.

• 4 months later...

He was brilliant for an hour on Saturday I thought, would have given him MOTM over Rothwell.

I'll be very pleased if I'm proven wrong on him, but he needs to play every week now, not in for 2, out for 4. in for 2, out for 5 etc.

Lets see how he develops being one of our more important players.

• Like 2

He was ace Saturday. One or two mistakes second half which I'd put down to being knackered. I think himself and Dolan needed to come off after 65/70 minutes to be honest but when your bench is that thin what are you gonna do?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

He was ace Saturday. One or two mistakes second half which I'd put down to being knackered. I think himself and Dolan needed to come off after 65/70 minutes to be honest but when your bench is that thin what are you gonna do?

Was the most impressive I have seen of him. Think he can have a good season. Bit worried about his second half, think he tried too hard. Good start nonetheless.

43 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Was the most impressive I have seen of him. Think he can have a good season. Bit worried about his second half, think he tried too hard. Good start nonetheless.

I think he got tired do you reckon?

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think he got tired do you reckon?

Perhaps. I dunno, felt he was buzzing from first half, rightly so, lots of pats on the back, and got a bit carried away. Tiredness came into it though, for sure. 

• 1 month later...

Buckley found himself moved to fill yet another position, apparently, in a wide right type role, against Hull, where he didn't make a real impression. Mowbray's used him as an attacking midfielder this season, having previously played him as a deeper lying CM, a false 9 and, on a rare occasion, as a right back.

Given that almost all our players are regressing, from Travis to Nyambe, I find it hard to be too critical of any player in the team at the moment. Aside from Ayala and Rothwell, I can't think of an outfield player that seems to be showing signs of development or consistency. Players like Dolan show flashes and then fall back. My view is that the manager is confused about tactics and line-ups and this is reflected in the team.

Some criticism of Buckley is certainly fair. His finishing has been lacking and, at times, he has let players pass him too easily. I wouldn't be against him sitting on the bench for a while. However, I think at some stage, he needs opportunities in the position that he has performed the best in, which is deep-lying central midfield. Last season, he performed very well there. Whilst Rothwell is favoured alongside Travis, increasingly, it looks as if Rothwell will not be signing a new deal for the club and will walk away. In which case, Buckley could be the replacement, if coached and given chances there.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

He was definitely hindered by his position last night, make no mistake. But in general, he has played central this season and aside from the first half of the first game, he has been anonymous. For me, his major issue is not even his physicality, its his lack of ability to impact upon games most of the times. He needs to do more to justify staying in the team. Even when a couple of chances came his way at Forest, his shots were timid and straight at the keeper.

I even find Rothwell playing so deep to be puzzling, he is not one to protect the defence or control the game, but running at teams, that is where his strengths lie.

I do get this idea about keeping an eye on the long term but Buckley or indeed anyone cannot be selected solely because he is contracted to the club beyond this season. 6 games into a season in which we have started fairly well, the aim has to be to win each individual game as it comes, not planning for next season. Buckley has to do more to warrant being a regular starter within that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Buckley found himself moved to fill yet another position, apparently, in a wide right type role, against Hull, where he didn't make a real impression. Mowbray's used him as an attacking midfielder this season, having previously played him as a deeper lying CM, a false 9 and, on a rare occasion, as a right back.

Given that almost all our players are regressing, from Travis to Nyambe, I find it hard to be too critical of any player in the team at the moment. Aside from Ayala and Rothwell, I can't think of an outfield player that seems to be showing signs of development or consistency. Players like Dolan show flashes and then fall back. My view is that the manager is confused about tactics and line-ups and this is reflected in the team.

Some criticism of Buckley is certainly fair. His finishing has been lacking and, at times, he has let players pass him too easily. I wouldn't be against him sitting on the bench for a while. However, I think at some stage, he needs opportunities in the position that he has performed the best in, which is deep-lying central midfield. Last season, he performed very well there. Whilst Rothwell is favoured alongside Travis, increasingly, it looks as if Rothwell will not be signing a new deal for the club and will walk away. In which case, Buckley could be the replacement, if coached and given chances there.

Buckley played the wide right role on front 3 yesterday but he should be playing in the midfield 3 or the number 10. I think he has so far had a good impact on the season. Thought he was fairly good against Luton. 

I do see him long term playing in deep playmaker role along side Travis but Rothwell is playing there and hes is driving the team forward and in some games its working

Buckley plays best in a deep role. He receives the ball from his defenders much better than Travis is able to. He can play on the half turn and dictate the game from deep. My worry about his performances this season are that he seems to be turning into a stats man. He plays the short, unadventurous ball too often rather than the risk/reward style that I prefer to see from gifted players such as him.

This easy option, short ball stats builder is something that Jason Lowe used to do. I find it cynical and unhelpful to the team effort. It slows play down and irritates spectators. Buckley is one of the very few really good passers of the ball in the squad. Our style this season seems to be wanting to get the ball forward quickly which is great. I would much rather see Buckley doing the 40 yard diagonals than Lenihan. Moving him about isn't helping him. He can be a timid lad and can play within himself if feeling anxious.

Put him deep and central, give him lots of the ball and allow him to be creative. Free up Rothwell from the defensive side which Buckley is much better at anyway. This looks to be a poor division and I now believe we have a fair chance to be contenders with the right formation.

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Buckley plays best in a deep role. He receives the ball from his defenders much better than Travis is able to. He can play on the half turn and dictate the game from deep. My worry about his performances this season are that he seems to be turning into a stats man. He plays the short, unadventurous ball too often rather than the risk/reward style that I prefer to see from gifted players such as him.

This easy option, short ball stats builder is something that Jason Lowe used to do. I find it cynical and unhelpful to the team effort. It slows play down and irritates spectators. Buckley is one of the very few really good passers of the ball in the squad. Our style this season seems to be wanting to get the ball forward quickly which is great. I would much rather see Buckley doing the 40 yard diagonals than Lenihan. Moving him about isn't helping him. He can be a timid lad and can play within himself if feeling anxious.

Put him deep and central, give him lots of the ball and allow him to be creative. Free up Rothwell from the defensive side which Buckley is much better at anyway. This looks to be a poor division and I now believe we have a fair chance to be contenders with the right formation.

Donny Van de Beek was the same for United the other night. Keep it simple and conservative, afraid to make a mistake. Low risk balls sideways and backwards. It gets ya nowhere really 

• Like 1