BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

I think Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Brainthwaite and Douglas pick themselves in the absence of credible alternatives. Armstrong and Elliott (on the right) should be guaranteed and Dack has to play and in his best position, we need him fit ASAP. So that leaves 3 places up for grabs.

Central midfield between 3, Holtby and Davenport with big cases to start, Travis is very rusty but hes our best central midfielder so again do we start him and get him fit too? And on the left, no one has guaranteed a start. Brereton perhaps just over Rothwell and Dolan.

Mowbray will be like a dog with two dicks for this game. Live on Sky, one of Boro's favourite sons returning and he will regale bore anybody who can be bothered listening about how he used to sit on his dads shoulders to go to the game, John Hickton and the Holgate End sucking the ball into the goal yadda, yadda.

I really don't think we will get anything here despite The Riverside being a good ground for using recent years. Warnock will have Mowbray on toast.

• Like 1

If Rovers are going to start making their move climbing back in the playoff race, this is the time and the place. I am encouraged by Dack & Travis’ return, & Branthwaite is a needed addition to central defense. 

Yet to lose in 2021, let’s keep it going, COYB!  

Edited by WacoRover

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray will be like a dog with two dicks for this game. Live on Sky, one of Boro's favourite sons returning and he will regale bore anybody who can be bothered listening about how he used to sit on his dads shoulders to go to the game, John Hickton and the Holgate End sucking the ball into the goal yadda, yadda.

I really don't think we will get anything here despite The Riverside being a good ground for using recent years. Warnock will have Mowbray on toast.

Think you are right.

Also think Warnock will be supremely motivated to smack Rovers in the face after he was supposedly lined up to take on the manager's job here only to be hijacked by Coyle and co. 

Seems like M'boro were 'at it' against Forest and impressed Warnock.

Think this will be a feisty one and not sure we'll end up with 22 left on the pitch with, IMO, Travis the first one to get his marching orders. 

Edited by Mercer

For me Bradley Dack hasn't warranted a start. He's far from ready & he doesn't suit the system that has got 17 goals for Armstrong so far this season. Bring him on later on in the game if and when needed, much like Dolan & Rothwell too. Travis & Davenport to match their physicality.

Kaminski

Nyambe
Lenihan
Branthwaite
Douglas

Holtby
Travis
Davenport

Elliott
Armstrong
Brereton

Edited by JoeH

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

For me Bradley Dack hasn't warranted a start. He's far from ready & he doesn't suit the system that has got 17 goals for Armstrong so far this season. Bring him on later on in the game if and when needed, much like Dolan & Rothwell too. Travis & Davenport to match their physicality.

Kaminski

Nyambe
Lenihan
Branthwaite
Douglas

Holtby
Travis
Davenport

Elliott
Armstrong
Brereton

Worrying if our best player by some distance doesn't suit the system we play (the system being an incomprehensible mess)

Let's hope its just a lack of match fitness/sharpness on Dacks part because if we nullifying our best player, then things need to change.

• Like 3

Brace yourselves for the pre-match drivel about what a massive, great, titanic club Middlesbrough are and how Warnock has had loads of money to spend there to get them into top 6 chasers (all B.S.)

They had a setback recently at home v Birmingham who are garbage but had a couple of decent away results.

I expect it will be a narrow and low scoring game one way or the other. I honestly wouldn't be surprised with a 0-0 or 1-1. If they take the lead we'll struggle to get anything.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Nyambe
Lenihan
Branthwaite
Douglas

Holtby
Travis
Davenport

Elliott
Armstrong
Brereton

Spot on for once, Joe.  Except Douglas...rather play me mam

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Nyambe
Lenihan
Branthwaite
Douglas

Holtby
Travis
Davenport

Elliott
Armstrong
Brereton

Hes not match fit though. With Armstrong, hes our best player. The 433 system or the style doesnt seem to suit the team in general. Dack needs chance to get up to speed and by the time he does, he is a million miles more effective than any of the other attacking midfielders. The system hasnt got Armstrong 17 goals, he has. With Dack behind him that should benefit him further.

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Nyambe
Lenihan
Branthwaite
Douglas

Holtby
Travis
Davenport

Elliott
Armstrong
Brereton

Bell for Douglas 

• Like 1

People say that 4-3-3 doesn't suit Dack. From what I've seen it doesn't suit the entire team, this for me is Mowbrays biggest issue. His plan A doesn't work, so you have to change the plan A, not the personnel in that same ineffective plan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

Brace yourselves for the pre-match drivel about what a massive, great, titanic club Middlesbrough are and how Warnock has had loads of money to spend there to get them into top 6 chasers (all B.S.)

They had a setback recently at home v Birmingham who are garbage but had a couple of decent away results.

I expect it will be a narrow and low scoring game one way or the other. I honestly wouldn't be surprised with a 0-0 or 1-1. If they take the lead we'll struggle to get anything.

Cannot see 0-0 , we haven't got the players ...

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes not match fit though. With Armstrong, hes our best player. The 433 system or the style doesnt seem to suit the team in general. Dack needs chance to get up to speed and by the time he does, he is a million miles more effective than any of the other attacking midfielders. The system hasnt got Armstrong 17 goals, he has. With Dack behind him that should benefit him further.

I was reading an article in the paper the other day about Sean Longstaff.  " A midfielder Man Utd once wanted to spend £20 million on has regressed alarmingly since Benitez's departure for China and now plays as if mentally scarred by the ruptured cruciate ligament that interrupted his progress. Longstaff shows flashes  of his old ability but there are times when he resembles a player a player struggling with a slight loss of nerve or who doesn't entirely trust his repaired knee ".

Not everybody recovers from that type of injury, even with todays medical advances. When you've gone years as a player just missing the odd game with slight strains an injury like that is a real shaker. What struck me about mine was how easily it happened. It can play on your mind even when everything appears to be OK from a physical point of view. 

I wouldn't be starting Dack on Sunday.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was reading an article in the paper the other day about Sean Longstaff.  " A midfielder Man Utd once wanted to spend £20 million on has regressed alarmingly since Benitez's departure for China and now plays as if mentally scarred by the ruptured cruciate ligament that interrupted his progress. Longstaff shows flashes  of his old ability but there are times when he resembles a player a player struggling with a slight loss of nerve or who doesn't entirely trust his repaired knee ".

Not everybody recovers from that type of injury, even with todays medical advances. When you've gone years as a player just missing the odd game with slight strains an injury like that is a real shaker. What struck me about mine was how easily it happened. It can play on your mind even when everything appears to be OK from a physical point of view. 

I wouldn't be starting Dack on Sunday.

But at some point his knee will have to be tested. As far as the Rovers are concerned it should be as soon as possible. If any player is not going to return, it is better to know early and get on with what we have got, rather than stringing out a forlorn hope. I sincerely hope Dack makes a full and fruitful comeback, not just for him but more importantly for the Rovers.