BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

Kaminski - immerse

Lenihan - one of his best game at the back so far this season

Gallagher - best sub today, came on and won quite a few headers, looked fresh and strong.

Dack - his awareness and technical skills never in doubt, just need to keep working on his fitness

Davenport - kept things simple throughout, hope his injury isnt serious.

The rest woke up after we scored. Much much better performance after that.

Still cant understand why we took so long to get up to speed with the game. Kaminski kept us in the game with a couple of important saves.

• Like 4

Extremely fortunate three points courtesy of the referee's decision not to award a stonewall penalty and award a red card to Branthwaite which would obviously have changed the game completely.

Six points off sixth, might have one or two more decent results then if we get within two or three points away from the play offs no doubt the next death spiral of one or two wins in ten will start again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Ugly scenes as Warnock lash it outs on Braithwaite...

That’s the bad side of Warnock and the reason he is called Neil. Still think he’ll finish above Mowbray.

He wants to win and is a bad loser. Meanwhile “Venkys only ask for progress and Mowbray is under no pressure”. Not my words but those of the Sky commentator - although I certainly don’t disagree.

We looked awful until the goal, not sure if it was the stuffing knocked out of them, or the subs we made. Should have been a red and a penalty.

The starting line up was completely wrong as was the Buckley sub. I just don’t understand what goes through his head at times.

Kaminski - Such a great signing. Another strong performance. MOTM for me 

Branthwaite - Should have been a red and penalty. Hopefully he puts it behind him and the clean sheet breeds confidence.

Buckley - Well off the pace, he should have been the 4th choice sub after Brereton (move Rothwell), Dack and Trybull.

Dack - Looked quality, embarrassing all the prematch doubt from Joe and Chaddy. Great through ball for Gallagher where Armstrong should have scored. He’s comfortably our best player alongside Elliott and needs to start

Armstrong - I thought he put in a decent shift today. Had some pretty good chances, 2 very good ones and fluffed them both completely. Never a £30m player but he’s good and easily our best striking option.

Douglas - Clearly has his flaws but he’s so much better than Bell. More comfortable on the ball and offers something going forward  (2 layoffs to Arma and a chance for himself today).

Brereton and Gallagher both played well coming on too. Not really sure what Davenport offers us, what style of midfielder he is - likely would have got some stick here if it wasn’t for Buckley. 

Well it turned out well. Much better second half and for once the subs made the difference. 
Boro should have had a pen, but there was still a lot of football to be played and they just weren’t good enough.

Defensively we did really well, but again Boro contributed to that with their continual high balls into the box which suited us.

Good day, move on.

• Backroom

Terrible first 70 minutes, then came to life after we scored. Boro looked shellshocked and were unable to recover. 

Obviously massively lucky not to concede a pen at best, play most of the match with ten men at worst. With that said I didn't see anything from Boro to suggest they'll finish any higher than us. We gave them the majority of the game to score and they didn't take it. 

Need to seriously consider sending Buckley somewhere to develop. Not ready yet. Douglas continues to look like an incredibly poor signing. Arma missed some key chances and spent most of the match isolated. Branthwaite at times looked good but at other times, especially in the first half, looked out of his depth. Par the course for a youngster though so not going to criticise him any more than that - I'll only say he was a lucky boy to still be on the pitch after that big boot. 

On the plus side it was Lenihan's first solid game in a while. Kaminski was incredible. Nyambe struggled at times but was a key part of our goal. Rothwell and Elliot similar. 

We still play most of the time like a team with no real identity or direction. I'm like a broken record at this point but get a good manager in and this team could go places. Under Mowbray this WDL overall season pattern won't change. Too much reliance on individual skill digging us out of holes, not enough team coherence. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Brilliant tactical set up

What? 
We were shocking until the goal, set up was terrible and the Buckley sub was so bad he subbed him again. 

I’ll give you that the 3 subs of Dack, Gallagher and Brereton were good though. Looked more in control then - though could have been as Boro lost it after conceding. 

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Things you’d never thought you’d see: A good defensive performance from Rovers. 

Had a feeling it might be our day when they hit the post when it looked easier to score. 

Good win. 

I said it was our Gus Poyet moment. Always remember him hitting the crossbar in the Worthington Cup final and my daughter saying 'We're going to win this now'

• Like 2