BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

• Backroom
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think Mowbray tried to correct that by committing to 433 at the start of the season but after a good first half dozen games or so it's really struggled as we arent really good enough to dominate decent teams in the way the system needs.  So now I think weve gone back to being a bit reactive and muddling through game by game like last season.

What we really should have done at the start of the season is had a couple of different tactical setups we were happy with so we have a ready made plan b.

Anyway Mowbray has pulled out a win when he needs to. He's so good at that... Just wish he could do it to get us into the top six, not just take the pressure off his job.

It would be nice for us to play 4-3-3 well, but the reality is that formation only works if a manager has a firm grasp of the defensive side of the game. Despite being a defender Mowbray has proven time and time again that as a manager he simply doesn't and I don't think ever will. 

To go anywhere under TM we will unfortunately need to grind out results using a fairly attritional setup. It won't solve our defensive problems but it'll make us a little harder to score against. It is not a good use of the talent available though, so I would advocate a new manager with fresh ideas before sticking with TM reverting to attritional football - because let's face it, we'll still finish mid-table. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Extremely fortunate three points courtesy of the referee's decision not to award a stonewall penalty and award a red card to Branthwaite which would obviously have changed the game completely.

Six points off sixth, might have one or two more decent results then if we get within two or three points away from the play offs no doubt the next death spiral of one or two wins in ten will start again.

You got it. The Mowbray go round, Rinse and repeat.

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That’s the bad side of Warnock and the reason he is called Neil. Still think he’ll finish above Mowbray.

He wants to win and is a bad loser. Meanwhile “Venkys only ask for progress and Mowbray is under no pressure”. Not my words but those of the Sky commentator - although I certainly don’t disagree.

Don't you mean Colin?

Shocking first 63 minutes <> Goal <> Comfortable and composed final 33 minutues.

Very fortunate not to be maybe 1 man and certainly 1 or 2 goals behind, but soon as Rothwell scored, we probably should be leaving there 3-0 winners.

Big complaint is Buckley not being at a L1 club already.

Now to back it up against Luton, QPR and PNE for an infamous and predictably/ultimately pointless Mowbray 4 game win streak.

• Like 3

Many saying we didn’t play well until we scored must not have watched the first 15 min. Prior to the high boot we had them pinned back and looked to be the most likely to score.  We had good movement and we’re doing well to make chances. I think the lack of the penalty call and the long pause for treatment took the momentum out of the side.  After that, we were no where to be found for the rest of the half. Branthwaite in particular looked a bit shaken..Giving away what was Boros best chance with a bad giveaway top of the box on his next touch. Buckley never should have been the next man on when Johnson went off.  Should have been Dack or Brereton with Rothwell moving inside.  Shocking decision really.  In fact I’m not sure he shouldn’t go out on loan to get more time and improve his strength.

Set pieces are still a problem on both ends.  We never look to threaten and look to concede.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Out of order that from Warnock. Yes it was a bad challenge and a red card but I genuinely don't think that there was any malice in it from Branthwaite, unlike Morsy who brought Travis down from behind with absolutely zero intention of playing the ball.

Did not Warnock call Diouf (the spitting one) a RAT when he was playing for us, only to sign him not long after.

32 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Exactly what it says🤣 I feel alot of people underrate his ability and his importance to the team. That's it.

Mate, I think a lot of people know & understands what he brings to the team. However that doesn’t not make him underrated.

Needs to be more clinical! One day he’s a world beater, next game he’s the most frustrating player.

I saw someone post on Twitter that he’d be a perfect replacement for Vardy @ Leicester the other day....Was that you? LoL

23 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Good result but hardly convincing. Arguably the biggest positive other than the win was Dack’s cameo. Really made a difference. 

Douglas still doesn’t appear to be a significant upgrade on Bell. Got beaten too often. Buckley isn’t cutting it and Travis is still yet to fully fire.

Impressed with Brereton and Gallagher. Useful to call upon two very different types of players to replace Rothwell and Elliott. 

Was thinking this first half but the one thing that struck me in the 2nd half was that he battled, niggled and bullied (the sub) in a way that i don't think Bell can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Mate, I think a lot of people know & understands what he brings to the team. However that doesn’t not make him underrated.

Needs to be more clinical! One day he’s a world beater, next game he’s the most frustrating player.

I saw someone post on Twitter that he’d be a perfect replacement for Vardy @ Leicester the other day....Was that you? LoL

He's a similar style of player to Vardy in that he's best suited to a counter attacking team. Worth remembering that at his age Armstrong is some way ahead of where Vardy was.

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Mmmm, must be me,.maybe it's cos we won but I read a lot of negative comments on the game as a whole, I enjoyed it.  Not like a classic or was awesome but fair enough entertainment for two average 2nd Division sides.

Yep just you 🤣

First 60 minutes we were worse than Chorley (Kaminski excepted) and Boro weren't much better...

Post goal was another story tbf

Edited by Roverthechimp

Did pick up after the goal but anything at this point is just delaying the inevitable, still playing trash football, picking up the odd result but going nowhere. But a good win nonetheless. Also don’t think that Branthwaite boot was intentional (still a penalty) so Neil Warnock can sod off the daft old goblin 

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He's a similar style of player to Vardy in that he's best suited to a counter attacking team. Worth remembering that at his age Armstrong is some way ahead of where Vardy was.

Yes I get that but he can’t be missing chances like he misses!! A proven goal scorer doesn’t miss those.

He missed two sitters today! Has to score.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Well never expected the three points coming back with us'

Kaminski is fabulous.

Douglas had a better game and Nyambe a poorer one.

Travis looked lost until sparking into life late on. I'd keep Davenport in the team.

Elliott is great but needs much better coaching than he is getting. 

Arma had his shot settings awry today.

All credit to Branthwaite in the way he handled himself after that incident. Boro looked like they were too physical for him but he came through well.

Really good game from Lenihan.

Thought the triple sub by Mowbray was mental but we were much better for the change. All three players were excellent and Dack is simply different class.

Can we play Boro every week?

We have finally broken the duck of not beating a side above us. Watch go and throw it all away with three sub par performances against clubs we should beat in the next games.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

IMO Armstrong will never, ever reach the heights of Vardy.

He has nowhere near the football intelligence Vardy has nor the overall game.

Chalk and cheese.

• Like 4

First half dreadful, and relieved to get to half time at 0-0. I thought second half we improved as it wore on and after scoring we were the better side and started to threaten more on the counter. 

Once we got 1-0 up they seemed to have no answer to get back into it other than to launch balls into our box and we dealt with it pretty well. 

A good win and I'm always delighted with the 0-1 narrow wins. Middlesbrough are rubbish but well organised and managed which is why they are above us in the table.

Sky, due to having nothing else to talk about, massively exaggerate the penalty 'incident' reading rules out and analyzing it in minute detail to make it more controversial and to justify Rosenior and Monk's punditry fees. 

Warnock the master of diverting attention away from his team and defeat and putting the spotlight either onto the opposition or the referee. He's managed it again and the media all fall for it.

Mowbray's going nowhere so we'll just have to get on with it. I don't think anything has really changed but a win against one of the top 7 is a welcome boost. Very satisfying to be the subject of opposition and media ire and anger rather than pats on the back for turning up and playing nice stuff but getting beat.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, Dack was class. Knows how to win. Calmed things down. 

The incident in today's game is all over sky, with Warnock ranting on. He has a point, but wasn't intentional. A lot for a young player to be dealing with 

No way Jerrod meant to hurt Fry. Ref either didn't see it or bottled it. Yes it was an important moment, I thought pen, yellow. Still long way to go in the game. Warnock is out of order.

• Like 1