BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

24th January 2021 Middlesbrough Away 15:00

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

As far as my understanding of the rules go if it’s reckless or dangerous intent doesn’t come into it in which case it’s a red all day long. 

My understanding as well. 

A red all day long under the laws as they currently stand, maybe it wouldn't have been years ago if clear intent was required under the regulations.

Whether it SHOULD be a red if it's reckless but probably  not intentional is a different argument.

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My understanding as well. 

A red all day long under the laws as they currently stand, maybe it wouldn't have been years ago if clear intent was required under the regulations.

Whether it SHOULD be a red if it's reckless but probably  not intentional is a different argument.

Yeah. For what it’s worth I don’t think it should have been a red card (disagree with the rules) the ball was there to be won, just unfortunate the lads head got in the way. Put it this way if branthwaite left the ball for fear that he’d accidentally kick the lad and they went on to score I’d have been livid with him.

But as far as the rules as they currently are go it is a red card.

In theory if he’d done exactly the same thing but missed the guys head then it still should have been a red under the rules because it’s dangerous. Had he been sent off without contact I’d have been fuming 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

In the FA Laws under indirect free kick you have:

PLAYING IN A DANGEROUS MANNER

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Under cautionable offenses

commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offenses

under sending off offenses:

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

so could be a red or yellow depending upon perspective I guess

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's going to have to say he missed it 

I can't imagine he'll say anything else as if he views it back he'll realise that if he claims he didn't think it warranted any action he risks being taken off the Championship lists or demoted down a division for a few weeks.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, yankfan said:

If he says he saw it and didn’t think it was a foul/penalty/card he’d have to be sacked on the spot 

Ex referee Dermot Gallagher has a saying that "he saw it but didn't recognise it".

I.e. what had actually happened at the time. 

He might claim that but it would still leave him open to sanctions I'd guess.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I can't imagine he'll say anything else as if he views it back he'll realise that if he claims he didn't think it warranted any action he risks being taken off the Championship lists or demoted down a division for a few weeks.

I’m not sure they’ll move him down...with the quality of officiating at this level they may give him an award for only missing one obvious call. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yeah, but did you see the long chats he had with Boro players about it.

If he was chatting specifics with them, he can't change back on match report. Unless he was saying- sorry, I didn't see it. Doubt that though.

May escape a ban I think because of the daft rules. 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, I am also sure that it went out yeah, it looked like it. You would need a sideline view to be 100%, as

Well.it didnt go out as linesman didnt give it. 

Have you seems a sideline view? 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Difficult that, how do you really enforce that? You cant do any more than encourage it and I doubt there would be a sudden influx, and even so, it would take a bit of time. And there would still be a large element of error even if they were former players as things get missed, thats human error.

Enforce what?.

You encourage players who dont make the grade to become pro football to become professional referees so still get a career in football. 

VAR isnt the answer either. 

49 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I don't think he did mean any danger but the fact that his studs were up in Fry's face means that he did endanger his opponent. It was as blatant a red card as you could wish to see on a football pitch and if it had been in the other box you would have been certain it was a red card. I remember Nani got sent of for United in the Champions League a few year back now for something similar but not as dangerous.

Mate, it didn't even warrant a mention in Chaddys match report until someone challenged him on it, so not thinking it is a red card is hardly surprising. Comical Ali had more objectivity than said poster. 

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My take too. Especially given the media focus on it and the level of injury. I mean it's the most obvious penalty and dangerous play example ever (whatever card you deem it to be, though imo it has to be red.) Saying he didn't deem it worth anything is the equivalent of admitting you aren't up to standard. Career suicide for the chap. 

So a retrospective ban is likely. This would leave us short defensively again. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

So a retrospective ban is likely. This would leave us short defensively again. 

Hope it doesn't happen but I think the Club has to be geared up and ready to act on the assumption that it's a distinct possibility.

Hope we don't come across as though it's a complete surprise to us and act all hard done to.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hope it doesn't happen but I think the Club has to be geared up and ready to act on the assumption that it's a distinct possibility.

Hope we don't come across as though it's a complete surprise to us and act all hard done to.

Rev I can guarantee that's exactly how we will play this one if it comes about. 

Much talk about Branthwaite and our almost apologetic tone. We have been robbed on countless occasions. 

Unfortunate but not cynical  tackle, not deemed a penalty  by the ref. 11 v 11.

We score and then boss the game. 1-0 away from home, clean sheet. “We take the points and move on.” 👏

• Like 1

Had a look at the fixture list. We've got one game a week now for the next four weeks - unless Swansea gets rescheduled in there - and all games where on balance we look favourites. 

Got Travis and Dack coming back, Douglas looks finally fit, Branthwaite looks like a solid CB. If we are going to get into the top six now is the time to do it.

Indeed if you look through the list for the rest of the season only Norwich, Reading and Swansea away look like nailed on losses. Everyone else above us we have at home so....

It really is the hope that kills you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Had a look at the fixture list. We've got one game a week now for the next four weeks - unless Swansea gets rescheduled in there - and all games where on balance we look favourites. 

Got Travis and Dack coming back, Douglas looks finally fit, Branthwaite looks like a solid CB. If we are going to get into the top six now is the time to do it.

Indeed if you look through the list for the rest of the season only Norwich, Reading and Swansea away look like nailed on losses. Everyone else above us we have at home so....

Agree the hope kills you. 

Even then the 3 away games you list there's room for optimism. None of the three teams have been infallible and we could in theory well take at least a point in each of those games. 

The problem is though in theory and practice we are more than capable of losing a lot of those winnable games as well as getting the three points. Factor in our mental fragility as well and though theoretically possible I very much doubt we will get in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Frankly, being an avid Rover, I don't give a shit whether it should have been red or not. I just thought good lad when I saw it!

I hope the 'Boro lad is ok but he had been trying to impose himself on our young centre half prior to the incident, bet he regrets that now!

All I saw was a reincarnate Glenn Keeley, in a young blond headed body, wearing the famous blue and white halves, with a nasty glint in his eye after the unfortunate incident. I thought about bloody time, you'll do for me Branthwaite!

We saw the game out well and in the end, were unfortunate not to bag a couple more (if only Arma could learn to round the keeper when through one v one!)

Average 2 points per game between now and seasons end and we're up there!

Great Result, I'm well suited.

If only we had a pitch at Ewood worthy of a slick, incisive passing game!

COYB!! 

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

Are we really debating whether licking (kicking roflmao predictive text) a player in the head warrants a red card? 

Kick in the head = red

Intentional or not. 

It will be brushed under the carpet, ref's don't make mistakes 😉

The lad will learn, failure, fucking up, getting it wrong is a crucial part of that process. Experiencing them young should be seen as a positive, they are cocky/confident enough to bounce back quickly as mental resilience is key in sport. If he doesn't then he wasn't good enough, simples. 

Edited by Ulrich

1 minute ago, Ulrich said:

Are we really debating whether licking a player in the head warrants a red card? 

Kick in the head = red

Intentional or not. 

It will be brushed under the carpet, ref's don't make mistakes 😉

To be fair, he could buy him a pint first.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

We’ve already lost away at Swansea Joey...........

• Like 1