BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What are you listening to right now?

• Backroom
On 09/02/2021 at 10:21, Dreams of 1995 said:

For the fans of this type of music skip to about 32 minutes for one of the best drops in music history. You will not regret it.

It did not disappoint. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve absolutely hammered that recent Bicep album. It’s tremendous.

Never heard of them, had a skip through, love that 1st track, right up my street. Will explore more.

Bit cheesy, but the first 45 mins of this mix have kept me sane these last 6 months. Always lifts my spirits and puts a smile on my face:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve absolutely hammered that recent Bicep album. It’s tremendous.

They’ve done very well for themselves and are making everyone from NI proud of their success. It’s an excellent album, reminds me a bit of early Aphex Twin. Bicep radio is worth a listen on Apple Music as well. 

After hearing of the sad loss of MF DOOM I started listening to some of his albums (excellent) which led me down the rabbit hole to Madlib. Any hip hop heads here will probably have heard of him but to those unaware he’s a very eclectic hip hop producer, his album with four tet is unreal and I’m also loving his collaboration with Freddie Gibbs. The beat on this track is immense

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

They’ve done very well for themselves and are making everyone from NI proud of their success. It’s an excellent album, reminds me a bit of early Aphex Twin. Bicep radio is worth a listen on Apple Music as well. 

Their new stuff is a lot more like stuff like Four Tet, Burial, Jamie XX and the like to me.

Whereas their early stuff was much more ‘pumping’ and house and techno in style.

It’s all good stuff though to be fair!

19 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Velvet Moon, a two piece from Sweden. Female singer Sandra Bjurman and guitarist, usually electric percussion (which I don’t normally like). No particular genre other than very melodic, guitar based music. Strong vocals. Can virtually guarantee that no one will have heard of them. 

In that case you might like " The Mona Lisa Twins ". They're a covers band but they're really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In that case you might like " The Mona Lisa Twins ". They're a covers band but they're really good.

They seem talented enough from the few listens I’ve given them. Not really into covers bands although sometimes it’s good to hear a track from a different angle. Two covers I like though are Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet covering Different Drum by Mike Nesmith (Monkees fame) and Sixpence None The Richer doing There She Goes by the La’s. The latter also do a nice version of Crowded House’s Don’t Dream It’s Over.

6 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

They seem talented enough from the few listens I’ve given them. Not really into covers bands although sometimes it’s good to hear a track from a different angle. Two covers I like though are Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet covering Different Drum by Mike Nesmith (Monkees fame) and Sixpence None The Richer doing There She Goes by the La’s. The latter also do a nice version of Crowded House’s Don’t Dream It’s Over.

The Stone Poneys cover of this is excellent, and PP Arnold also covered it to great effect recently Mark. Was never that keen on the original tbh and the covers add to the song.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Their new stuff is a lot more like stuff like Four Tet, Burial, Jamie XX and the like to me.

Whereas their early stuff was much more ‘pumping’ and house and techno in style.

It’s all good stuff though to be fair!

Four Tet remix a Bicep track here. This was played in the same year at Boomtown as the Carl Cox set I posted. Early hours of the morning, pitch black with the immense production always on offer there. Love Bicep myself and think "Glue" is one of them tunes that is rightly overplayed.

@The Hypnotic DJ Sneak was a great set. A head bopper.

An album I would highly recommend to you electronic heads is the new-ish Chase & Status Album "Return 2 Jungle". I don't think there's a bad track on there frankly. Irah's vocals on it top it off. They also do a remix of Original Nuttah which is a must for any D&B/Jungle fan.

This will be a very good topic. 

The Undertones - Jimmy Jimmy (1979). in tribute to James Anderson and our fantastic victory a couple of days ago against India. Several hours later our first grandchild was born. Then I copped a 48 hour ban on here for my sins. 

So Tuesday 9th February was certainly a red (see what I did there?) letter day!!

https://youtu.be/g77eSTOTupw

Edited by darrenrover

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

The Undertones - Jimmy Jimmy (1979). in tribute to James Anderson and our fantastic victory a couple of days ago against India. Several hours later our first grandchild was born. Then I copped a 48 hour ban on here for my sins. 

So Tuesday 9th February was certainly a red (see what I did there?) letter day!!

Welcome back! Been anywhere nice? 😆

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Four Tet remix a Bicep track here. This was played in the same year at Boomtown as the Carl Cox set I posted. Early hours of the morning, pitch black with the immense production always on offer there. Love Bicep myself and think "Glue" is one of them tunes that is rightly overplayed.

An album I would highly recommend to you electronic heads is the new-ish Chase & Status Album "Return 2 Jungle". I don't think there's a bad track on there frankly. Irah's vocals on it top it off. They also do a remix of Original Nuttah which is a must for any D&B/Jungle fan.

I’ve seen Four Tet live a couple of times now and he’s been immense. 

The first time was in Ibiza at Space, with DJ Yoda on the same Bill (always class). Not a very Ibiza line up at all, I know! (R.I.P Space).
Been lucky to see Jamie XX right after him too which was a hell of a vibe!

Was meant to see Bicep last April, then December, now it’s December this year (hopefully)....

I’ll get onto DJ Sneak, heard his name a few times, but never checked him out!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gav said:

I must be getting old...

Having read some of the posts on this page, several times, I’ve not got a Scooby doo whats being discussed 😃

Me neither, I was just thinking I haven't a fecking clue what they're on about.

I considered I had a pretty broad based musical knowledge until I started reading all this double dutch!

I'll impress my youngest son who's a DJ though, I can't wait to ring him when he finishes work!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Jesus, I’ve just had a listen to that Bicep track. Lads, I’m sorry to have to tell you that you’ve been duped. That can’t be defined as music. It’s just a series of noises coming from a synthesiser. 😆 

I’ve just become an honorary member of the ‘I Must Be Getting Old’ club. Perhaps we could form a band, Gav and the Old Boys?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Jesus, I’ve just had a listen to that Bicep track. Lads, I’m sorry to have to tell you that you’ve been duped. That can’t be defined as music. It’s just a series of noises coming from a synthesiser. 😆 

I’ve just become an honorary member of the ‘I Must Be Getting Old’ club. Perhaps we could form a band, Gav and the Old Boys?

You are fecking old!

• Like 1

There’s two Rovers Radio shows coming your way this weekend...

www.roversradio.co.uk

Friday, 6pm - Pre Match Show

It’s a ranty one this week! Topics for discussion include Formations, The QPR game, and one of our favourite topics, the Nyambe situation.

Playlist so far contains Northside, Pere Ubu, Blackburn’s own Illicits... still time to get a request in!

Sunday sees the debut of our new show Sound of the Season from 11am.

It’s brought to you in conjunction with BRFCS... you may be able to guess the season in question from the images below...

ADF1BC78-B428-42B5-B755-FDC6FC05DE36.jpeg

581F7577-576D-4CF8-9941-DE6FC0981A9B.jpeg

• Like 1

I wouldn’t judge bicep on that track lads, it’s a four tet remix and much more of an acquired taste!!

So, aside from blasting out some four tet “parallel” tonight after being reminded, we have had a Dub night. This music genre imo is the most underrated and the U.K. has an unbelievably talented Dub scene. Seriously hoping there’s fans of this genre about 

Introducing Gentlemen’s Dub Club with my favourite track:

I’ll also put a little plug here for a chap called Kiko Bun, he’s up and coming big time in this genre and has a great track with Loyle Carner but this is my favourite even if not strictly dub:

• Like 1