BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What are you listening to right now?

32 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wouldn’t judge bicep on that track lads, it’s a four tet remix and much more of an acquired taste!!

So, aside from blasting out some four tet “parallel” tonight after being reminded, we have had a Dub night. This music genre imo is the most underrated and the U.K. has an unbelievably talented Dub scene. Seriously hoping there’s fans of this genre about 

Introducing Gentlemen’s Dub Club with my favourite track:

I’ll also put a little plug here for a chap called Kiko Bun, he’s up and coming big time in this genre and has a great track with Loyle Carner but this is my favourite even if not strictly dub:

I’m a big fan of Reggae and any precursor to or derivative there of. Got a pretty decent Trojan collection.

I like that Kiko Bun track a lot! 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Four Tet remix a Bicep track here. This was played in the same year at Boomtown as the Carl Cox set I posted. Early hours of the morning, pitch black with the immense production always on offer there. Love Bicep myself and think "Glue" is one of them tunes that is rightly overplayed.

@The Hypnotic DJ Sneak was a great set. A head bopper.

An album I would highly recommend to you electronic heads is the new-ish Chase & Status Album "Return 2 Jungle". I don't think there's a bad track on there frankly. Irah's vocals on it top it off. They also do a remix of Original Nuttah which is a must for any D&B/Jungle fan.

This will be a very good topic. 

I gotta tell ya Dreams, I tried to impress DJ darrenrover and he said wot? who? I felt a right dick!

To be fair, he's done a season in Magga, Ibiza and Prague and he did say it depends what genre because there are loads (apparently) 😕: I've just texted him "Dub genre or sommat" and see what he comes back with.

What happened to Mods, Rock, Punk, Dance and Easy Listening? It was bloody easy back in t' day. No longevity these days either!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Jesus, I’ve just had a listen to that Bicep track. Lads, I’m sorry to have to tell you that you’ve been duped. That can’t be defined as music. It’s just a series of noises coming from a synthesiser. 😆 

I’ve just become an honorary member of the ‘I Must Be Getting Old’ club. Perhaps we could form a band, Gav and the Old Boys?

I suspect you have to be on nodding terms with an amateur pharmaceutical entrepreneur to get the full effect CLB.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I gotta tell ya Dreams, I tried to impress DJ darrenrover and he said wot? who? I felt a right dick!

To be fair, he's done a season in Magga, Ibiza and Prague and he did say it depends what genre because there are loads (apparently) 😕: I've just texted him "Dub genre or sommat" and see what he comes back with.

What happened to Mods, Rock, Punk, Dance and Easy Listening? It was bloody easy back in t' day. No longevity these days either!

Hahahaha, nah four tet isn’t Dub. Electronic music has a whole load of different genres to it, some good...some terrible. “Dubstep” is an example of terrible music imo, whereas Dub is a version of reggae. 

I wouldn’t even know what category to put four tet in...his albums are quite varied really, ranging from the quite surreal to rock type electronica. He’s good but do understand it’s an acquired taste!

Back in my late teens / early 20s I was a big rock n roll fan.I frequented a famous Brum nightclub called Snobs. I think electronic music scene goes hand in hand with what youd call the “mod” scene these days. It’s a shame Blackburn never capitalised in its standing in electronic music because it pioneered rave culture in its early days.

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 15:21, Dreams of 1995 said:

Four Tet remix a Bicep track here. This was played in the same year at Boomtown as the Carl Cox set I posted. Early hours of the morning, pitch black with the immense production always on offer there. Love Bicep myself and think "Glue" is one of them tunes that is rightly overplayed.

@The Hypnotic DJ Sneak was a great set. A head bopper.

An album I would highly recommend to you electronic heads is the new-ish Chase & Status Album "Return 2 Jungle". I don't think there's a bad track on there frankly. Irah's vocals on it top it off. They also do a remix of Original Nuttah which is a must for any D&B/Jungle fan.

This will be a very good topic. 

Glad you enjoyed. I’ll check out that album, was playing original Nuttah last night!

Played this set on the weekend. Never gets old. People might know him as Plastikman.

Don't know if any of you have ever listened to Idris Elba DJ but he is quite good too. Can't find the set I watched him but there's a pretty similar one here at Boardmasters. A great little festival down in Cornwall. 

And for the rock music fans my Sunday afternoon consisted of a bit of Frank Turner. Here is him at Lowlands, which is a great set but the line up for that day looks unbelievable! Frank Turner, Slaves and The Streets.... 

• Like 2

I’m listening to Paul Weller’s new song. His last album was released in summer 2020 and he’s already recorded his next one, due to be released on his 63rd birthday in May.

He’s always been a bit of a magpie has Paul, Robert Wyatt said “he makes new furniture out of old wood”, but this has lifted a bit from one of his own songs, Bitterness Rising, from his first solo album. I’m loving it, especially the flute part.

• Like 2

Dare I expand this topic a bit please?

Can I also ask what equipment people are listening on? I have two Sonos play1’s paired. The sound for two small speakers is incredible IMO. Many years ago I had - and still have in the attic - a mid range CD player, amp, power amp, speakers mounted on soundproofed stands. Technology moves on and these two small speakers are far superior.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 21:30, Riversider28 said:

Radio Lancashire every Saturday night 6-8pm. Northern Soul and Motown. Great show hosted by Keith Fletcher. Mecca memories for me from the 60’s onwards.

Yes I usually leave it playing after the football. First record on last Saturday - " Stay In My Lonely Arms " by The Elgins. A classic B side. 

If you're a Soul fan the show is as good as it gets.

To answer Den's question -

I have it playing through a " REVO " internet radio. I've got 3 " REVO's " and I can recommend them.

I occasionally play stuff through my old hi-fi set up -

" Technics " amp, " Denon " tuner, " Sony " CD player, " Aiwa " tape deck, " Infinity " speakers, " Grado Labs " headphones.

I still have loads of vinyl about the house but my " Dual " turntable had been in the loft for years.

I remember going to a hi fi show in a big hotel in Manchester years ago. I was admiring the sound coming from some large speakers. The salesman removed the grills from the large speakers to reveal they were actually dummies and the real speakers inside were the size of a small shoe box ! Unfortunately they were out of my price range.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, den said:

Dare I expand this topic a bit please?

Can I also ask what equipment people are listening on? I have two Sonos play1’s paired. The sound for two small speakers is incredible IMO. Many years ago I had - and still have in the attic - a mid range CD player, amp, power amp, speakers mounted on soundproofed stands. Technology moves on and these two small speakers are far superior.

Proper well posh.....😃

I have a couple of Bose speakers and a Sonos sound bar for the Tv.

Sonos as den says is brilliant, better than Bose in todays market for me, I'm looking for a couple of Sonos 5's as we speak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Proper well posh.....😃

I have a couple of Bose speakers and a Sonos sound bar for the Tv.

Sonos as den says is brilliant, better than Bose in todays market for me, I'm looking for a couple of Sonos 5's as we speak.

I never thought of a Sonos play1 as posh Gav.

Theyre just great really. All you need to do is plug them into the mains - no other cables required. Even with a stereo pair you can put them anywhere. No need for speaker stands or having them at the same height. Sonos Trueplay does all that for you.

• Like 1